Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah, it took me almost two hours to take my rotors off today. For starters 5/6 bolts stripped on me, had to buy a kit for redrilling the bolts, it worked well enough. Although, I snapped one out of the two bits that came with the kit! $25.00 freaking dollars. : ) I also snapped all the bolts in the two front rotors(4)! The heads snapped off. I have four bolts still in my front rotors, any advice for getting them out. I might try twisting them out with pliers, but there isn't much of the bolt to grab onto? Could I just drill them out? Oh, I can't wait for my new rotors to arrive. ; )

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
What were you using to take the bolts off with? How many bolts are needed to take off some rotors? I can only imagine a total of 4; 2 for each caliper, and 2 for each caliper bracket.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CarbonBluetiful said:
What were you using to take the bolts off with? How many bolts are needed to take off some rotors? I can only imagine a total of 4; 2 for each caliper, and 2 for each caliper bracket.
The two front rotors both have two bolts in them, while the back rotors only have one each. The back bolts didn't break, but all four front bolts broke off! ; ) I stripped them at first trying to get them off, then I had to use a kit to drill into them and finally just snapped the heads off from twisting, but I was able to at least get the rotors off.

Yeah, the calipers consisted of four bolts each. Like you said, two for the calipers and the other two for the bracket, or something like that.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
festering said:
The two front rotors both have two bolts in them, while the back rotors only have one each. The back bolts didn't break, but all four front bolts broke off! ; ) I stripped them at first trying to get them off, then I had to use a kit to drill into them and finally just snapped the heads off from twisting, but I was able to at least get the rotors off.

Yeah, the calipers consisted of four bolts each. Like you said, two for the calipers and the other two for the bracket, or something like that.
Oh, OK. I didn't realize you were talking about front AND rear rotors.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I gotta ask ............. were you using a socket / open end wrench / adjustable wrench and what make of tools you use craftsman / husky / kmart specials?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the confusion, they'd actually be screws, I guess. I was using a Phillips screwdriver and later on I had a Drill. Mastercraft(CanadianTire)

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
festering said:
Sorry for the confusion, they'd actually be screws, I guess. I was using a Phillips screwdriver and later on I had a Drill. Mastercraft(CanadianTire)
ahhh.. yes.. you need a "hand-impact screwdriver". luckily rickna had one when i did mine at his garage. its sort of a little screwdriver that you hit with a hammer and it twists the head. but dont worry, once you get them out, you dont really need to put them back on. the calipers and wheels hold the rotors on really.. just dont forget to torque your torque your lug nuts and if you have aftermarket rims on there, torque them once, drive 30 miles or so, then torque them again. they need to settle.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
yea bud u need a impact driver. go to a local hardware store...pricncess auto, pep boys, canadian tire...napa...they should have them. if u need...i had similar problems with my rotor install, and bought more of those screws. i have some spares lying around, if u want them...lemme know. i think i paid about 1$ canadian each.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jamie said:
yea bud u need a impact driver. go to a local hardware store...pricncess auto, pep boys, canadian tire...napa...they should have them. if u need...i had similar problems with my rotor install, and bought more of those screws. i have some spares lying around, if u want them...lemme know. i think i paid about 1$ canadian each.
Thanks for the offer, but I'll save you the trouble. I'll just pick some up from a local shop here. I need 6! ; ) All four in the front snapped and the two in the back are in fairly bad shape. ; ) See, the problem I'm having isn't getting them off anymore, the rotors are off. Just that the four screws in the front all snapped off in the hub, and I can't get them out.. I never actually tried real hard, but they're inside the with no head or place I can grip them from, I'll probably just have to drill them out.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alpinewhite said:
ahhh.. yes.. you need a "hand-impact screwdriver". luckily rickna had one when i did mine at his garage. its sort of a little screwdriver that you hit with a hammer and it twists the head. but dont worry, once you get them out, you dont really need to put them back on. the calipers and wheels hold the rotors on really.. just dont forget to torque your torque your lug nuts and if you have aftermarket rims on there, torque them once, drive 30 miles or so, then torque them again. they need to settle.
Really, I don't need to put the screws back in. That definitely would be helpful, since the screws broke off inside the hub. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable driving like that though...

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
festering said:
Really, I don't need to put the screws back in. That definitely would be helpful, since the screws broke off inside the hub. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable driving like that though...
youre fine.. think about it.. alot of cars dont even have those little screws. unless you plan on driving without wheels, lol.

to get the screws out, youd have to disassemble the hub i would imagine.. or yeah, drill them out and tap new holes for new screws.. i think youd be ok though.. if you do put new screws in, put some anti-seize stuff on them so it doesnt happen again..

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
youre fine.. think about it.. alot of cars dont even have those little screws. unless you plan on driving without wheels, lol.

to get the screws out, youd have to disassemble the hub i would imagine.. or yeah, drill them out and tap new holes for new screws.. i think youd be ok though.. if you do put new screws in, put some anti-seize stuff on them so it doesnt happen again..
Yeah, you're totally right, why bother frigging around with the screws. Just going to slap the rotors/calipers into place..

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
When I replaced the front rotors on my mother-in-laws Accent, I just use a drill bit that was the same size as the screw head. I then just drilled the screw until the head was totally gone. That allowed me to remove the rotors because there are no threads in the rotors. Once the rotors were off, the reamining threaded portion of the screws were just removed with plyers. They put up zero resistance. I did not re-install the screws because they are not needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts