Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the modding and to the Tiburon. I have a 2003 GT V6 6-Speed w/ AEM CAI and NGM Intake Manifold. Now, I have searched and I could not find any answers. When I start out and I try and shift, there is a delay in the RPM's dropping. For example, say I am going, and I want to shift from 2nd to 3rd, I let off the gas, push in the clutch, the rps rise about 200 then go down. Anyone know the reason or heard anything about this ? I'm sorry if it is hard to understand. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
adjust your throttle cables. I installed stg4 today, u got to adjust them a little bit

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
mine does it and I dont have a stage IV...just a ported IM

I dont think the cable would make it do that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried that, but, it still happens. I made it tighter and also installed another spring on it to make the throttle totally close off but nothing. Any other ideas because I think I tried just about everything.

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
I think I may be going out on a limb here and am prolly wrong but I think maybe since you have increased air flow from mods maybe the MAF sensor is directing a little more fuel than its supposed to so when you let off that extra fuel raises the engine speed up a little. I think that a good tune would prolly cancel that out. I think its more electronic than mechanical...

Mine does this as well and when I tune with a SAFC2 maybe I can eliminate it...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It's because Tiburons have a heavy stock flywheel. The momentum that thing haves when it is spinning at a few thousand RPM's keeps it spinng when you push the clutch in. You're taking the load off of it when you engage the clutch, and that momentum lets it freewheel the engine up for a second, before it loses that momentum.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
CarbonBluetiful said:
It's because Tiburons have a heavy stock flywheel. The momentum that thing haves when it is spinning at a few thousand RPM's keeps it spinng when you push the clutch in. You're taking the load off of it when you engage the clutch, and that momentum lets it freewheel the engine up for a second, before it loses that momentum.

no mine always has done it since stock. got a light weight fly and still did it. idk why it did it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This happened to me before and 2 days later my clutch went out and my flywheel snapped in half. So sounds to me like it's a good sign of clutch/flywheel failure especially if it's stock. Most likely it wont the clutch wont engage the way it should and things will keep getting worse in my opinion. I'd have it checked out immediately.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
FLeiXiuS said:
This happened to me before and 2 days later my clutch went out and my flywheel snapped in half. So sounds to me like it's a good sign of clutch/flywheel failure especially if it's stock. Most likely it wont the clutch wont engage the way it should and things will keep getting worse in my opinion. I'd have it checked out immediately.

nope not it either mine did it for years includeing after the flywheel and stage 2 clutch. and yes it did happen when my tib was stock

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FLeiXiuS said:
i just got a brand new tranny clutch and flywheel installed so i think that rules it out...thanks for the reply tho !! :3_shiny:

·
Registered
316 Posts
pjl3288 said:
i just got a brand new tranny clutch and flywheel installed so i think that rules it out...thanks for the reply tho !! :3_shiny:
Well my slave cylinder went bad as well..you may want to check that out...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, from these replies, it is not clutch/tranny/flywheel problems, it is just the way the Tiburons are. Thanks guys for the replies and if you do happen to find out any fixes if possible, let us know!! :3_shiny:

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
FLeiXiuS said:
Well my slave cylinder went bad as well..you may want to check that out...

removed my valve spring (slave cylinder's biggest problem) so thats not it either

I dont think its mechanical...

·
Registered
316 Posts
pjl3288 said:
came with a brand new one with the tranny
Well I don't have a clue than haha...I had this issue and it was easily fixed with a new slave / master clyinder / flywheel / clutch. My problem was after switching gears the clutch wouldn't grab and engage until the rpms dropped to where the tranny was running.

I think your problem is more along the lines of, when your coasting and you push in the clutch your rpms rev up a little higher right?

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
FLeiXiuS said:
Well I don't have a clue than haha...I had this issue and it was easily fixed with a new slave / master clyinder / flywheel / clutch. My problem was after switching gears the clutch wouldn't grab and engage until the rpms dropped to where the tranny was running.

I think your problem is more along the lines of, when your coasting and you push in the clutch your rpms rev up a little higher right?

I like how you put that...lmao I would hate to see a hard fix for you :3_a_puh:

If his is anything like mine its anytime you are driving at a steady speed and engage the clutch the rpms go up about 200rpm then come down.. You know how you can engine brake when coasting in gear? Well it doesnt start braking right away, it will take a second or too. If you engage the clutch in this time frame that it isnt braking the rpms will actually jump a little bit. Its like a delayed reaction to you letting off the gas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
deez337 said:
If his is anything like mine its anytime you are driving at a steady speed and engage the clutch the rpms go up about 200rpm then come down.. You know how you can engine brake when coasting in gear? Well it doesnt start braking right away, it will take a second or too. If you engage the clutch in this time frame that it isnt braking the rpms will actually jump a little bit. Its like a delayed reaction to you letting off the gas.
yep, same exact thing. supposedly it is with every standard car but more noticable with an intake manifold. that is what i got from searching around some. seems like that's the way it is unless you put a S/C.

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
My other cars that were standards didnt do that....

Oh well, it doesnt really bother me. I am used to it and I guess it actually helps it you are a quick shifter or downshifting as it starts the revmatch for you....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine does the same thing too, it annoys the hell out of me.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
mine did the same. it was something mechanical cant remember what specifically now

at first it was annoying, but you get used to it and forget about it over time

1 - 20 of 27 Posts