Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a number of really good tuners in town that have tuned with pretty much every sort of software available on the market from 240's, to civics, to mustangs.

so my question is, since I have an safc 2 left over from my 240, would it be possible to tune my tiburon with it? a friend of mine said that a lot of newer cars wont respond well to the safc style tuning because it will want to override and adapt on everything but full throttle settings.

is this true? or could the safc2 be a good alternative to a mafterburner or whatever you guys commonly use.

· Registered
1,731 Posts
thats what i have, works fine

· Registered
1,731 Posts
well a tune only affects ur WOT so normal driving wont matter

· Registered
1,731 Posts
the tune, if im not mistaken, is only for when ur running Wide Open Throttle (100%) It would be hard and very time consuming to tune for each throttle postion. Ur ECU continues to adjust for all of that

· How do you change this?
2,294 Posts
What do you mean it continues to tune for all of that ??? Am Very new to the Fuel Tunner thing...

Sorry for been a Pain in the A$$
You only tune for WOT ratios..... The tune you make at WOT compensates for other throttle positions automatically with the ECU. You dont do a dyno pull or race at WOT...

At least thats my understanding of it.

· How do you change this?
2,294 Posts
So you would only tune the car in an Open Loop Format ??? and what ever changes i make to that...it will match it to when i am not in WOT ???
Not match but....lemme see how I can try to explain it better..

Your A/F ratio is potentially at its worse when you are at WOT untuned. So if you make that perfect all your other throttle positions will fall into place...

But I am not an expert on this. If you search maybe you can find a better explaination.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cool cool good information people. fuel tuning is something I know little about as well.

so with ANY tuning, you will be tuning just for WOT?

what about most of the time when youre not running WOT? you say the stock ecu adjusts the fuel and (maybe?) timing? so for normal driving, with intake, headers, and exhaust, what kind of gas mileage are you expecting?

I drive a good bit on the highway and in the city. Last time I measured, I got 26 mpg. Ive heard mods on these cars actually INCREASE gas mileage. it went up about 1mpg after I got my intake, which is kind of cool. and as of now have no sort of fuel tuning software

· Registered
1,731 Posts
my mpg sucked. cant give u an exact but it went down alot once i got the stg4 on. Alot of that im sure if how i drove though. It addicting the first time u get going and the car doesnt die off at 5000 rpms

· Registered
349 Posts
I agree, I am very mechanically inclined and have done a ton of engine work on various cars but working with ECUs and sensors and all that is pretty new to me.
See i am mechanically declined....... I am trying to grasp this... but not even sure if i need too....

HAHAHAH

Is this for an I4 or V6 set up?
How much is a tuner?
Is this for Automatic?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.