Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the early models of the Santa Fe had the same optional 2.7L Delta V6 as the Tiburon GT.

But the Tiburon's gas tank is 14.5gal. Has anyone swapped in a Santa Fe tank? For some sort of hypermiling build?

·
Registered
42 Posts
We all know the early models of the Santa Fe had the same optional 2.7L Delta V6 as the Tiburon GT.

But the Tiburon's gas tank is 14.5gal. Has anyone swapped in a Santa Fe tank? For some sort of hypermiling build?
Never done the swapp. Which tiburon are you talking about wapping it into? It depends if there's much difference in size. Width wise I don't think there would be much room to change. Because side by side of the tank you have the trailing arms which I've taken on and off myself, I'm guessing the tiburon gt is the same. I would love the v6 to have a bigger fuel tank. Because its one the things about that v6 I've always found annoying. There might be abit of give with the depth. Keep researching and let me know. The only way to know is to buy the santa fe fuel tank and compare i guess

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Never heard of this being done, and I highly doubt it's possible. The Elantra had the same size tank as the Tib those years (for obvious reasons) and even the Sonata from around then only had 17.7 gallons. You'd probably be better off trying to install a secondary tank inside the trunk, but even that I'm sure would take a lot of work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure how you'd get the tank to fit without cutting up the floor pan or mounting it in the trunk instead of the spare tire well... there's literally about 1/4"or about 6.5mm (if that... I didn't measure) of clearance on top of the tank, and that's full of rubber pads to keep the tank from rattling around loose. You would literally have to cut everything out from under the back seat and part of the floor behind it. Even if the tanks are remotely close to being the same shape and the bigger one isn't completely rectangular.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts