Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a new Seibon TS cf hood. Any other members using hood pins on theirs (Seibon only because others have different fit/latches). I know most cf manufacturers recommend it (liability), but every pic I've seen of members TS hoods are are w/o pins. I know it's a good backup safety, but these have an oem like hood latch, and if everyone else's is holding okay, I'd hate to drill the two holes in it even though I already bought a couple of the cf key lock hood pins. Thanks

(Pics are obviously not my tib)

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
I've seen or heard too many stories of c/f hoods flying off on the freeway to risk it.

·
Banned
312 Posts
Frankly, my stock hood wobbles at highway speed, so I'd probably do it.

I don't know for sure though, since the hood is vented. I'd think any high pressures building under the hood would be released. I'd install the hood, and then go out on the highway, slowly increasing in speed and watching the hood like a hawk. If it shook/moved at all, I'd pin it.

·
Retired Staff
4,860 Posts
Yeah, as has been said. If I got an OEM style CF hood I'd put pins on before I drove it anywhere. If I had a vented one like the one you ordered, I'd try taking it on some high speed driving first. Chances are the vent holes are gonna release most of the pressure that builds up under the hood.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Yellowwasabi said:
man..let me know too

I want a seibon TS hood so bad, but I hate the look of hoodpins.

^^^My thoughts exactly!

·
Registered
521 Posts
No hood pins in mine, I have an OEM Seibon. I have had it up to 120 before with no problems and am on the freeway daily at 70, no problems. I guess I'm lucky so far, but the seibon shuts nice and tight.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the mussa vented c/f hood. I've done 95 and it flexs liek crazy however at the latch it is really tight and wont release. I've asked body shops if it would even be worth it they said no because it just needs support inside the hood to keep it from flexing. So honestly hood pins are for the people that fear it. I feared it untill I was told by three of the top shops in NJ and FL and I drove to and from FL to NJ twice this year with the hood doing 80 most of the way. No problems at all. So save your money by either not buying the hood or deciding against the hood pins. good luck

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BrandonHamilton said:
Kinda odd topic, but what ever happened to your Cowl Induction hood?

-Brandon
It's alive & well. Just thinking about repainting the whole tib maybe in February, so it's just primered still. I may paint it with the rest of the car, or sell or trade it if I like this one on here. If somone spends their life at the track, I'd trade it for a stock, prefer black. I may leave the TS cf or paint it, and don't want to paint the cowl hood if I kep the TS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the same hood on my car, and i do not have any hood pins on it, beacuse there were no fitting issues, the only issue that came up was maybe the shocks on my stock hood were too strong and may crack the CF hood but after we got the hood on and adjusted the catch, we found it worked perfectly. no hood pins for me =] ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts