Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may know that since May of 2005 I've been fighting with Leaukemia and two other blood disorders. I've reached a point in my treatment where they cannot get me in remission and the cancer is becoming incredibly strong. My doctors have put 3 choices in front of me that i have been tossing around for almost 2 weeks now and I simply can't decide what to do.

1. Stop treatment all together and continue with blood transfusions. Life expectancy would be 4-6 weeks.

2. Continue chemo therapies and try to buy myself more time. The chemo therapies usually take you down for about 2 weeks per month where you are either in the hospital or stuck at home. Life expectancy is 6 months at the most.

3. Go in for a procedure called a bone marrow transplant. With the transplant comes the possibility of getting the cancer back in remission. but due to the nature of the procedure, the stage of my cancer, and my other two blood disorders they are giving me the odds of 80-90% that I will die in the hospital due to complications. If the transplant is a success I could live a long, semi normal life. and of course if the complications occur i'll be history in a few short weeks.

So being honest, and giving this situation some serious thought what would some of you do. Please be serious with this as it's a very big deal for me. I have to give them an answer by Friday of this week. Obviously this is a decision for me to make but some thoughts on it or other perspectives could help. Thanks

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Re: Serious advice needed for a serious situation

Hell man I had no idea you were sick. I do not want to think I would encourage you in any way to make the wrong decision, that has to be up to you. If it were me I would go for the bone marrow transplant but again no one can decide that but you.

What ever you decide I wish you the best, please keep us posted on how you are doing.

·
Registered
629 Posts

If i were in the same situation i would probably opt for choice number three. The way i see it is i'm going to fight for a chance to live and the transplant gives you the best hope at a normal life. God Bless you and do keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts

There are things I don't believe in, but I do believe in the power of prayer. If there's a chance, it's up to you, but maybe it's worth a shot. I've been in several life/death situations, not like yours, but I go down swinging. I would hope that everyone on here keeps you in their prayers and you make the right decision.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts

wow. its definetly between two or three. I agree with gato though. gotta go for the bone marrow transplant. its the most risky, but you gotta take the chance.

best wishes... your in my prayers

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

ouch man thats a hard hand to get delt . but since the life expectancy of the first 2 are so short id say go for option 3 .... i watched my grandfather die from cancer and he was like my father and it hit me hard .and seeing the pain he went through i would have rather seen him pass peacefully on the operating table trying to fight for his life . than to just let go .
either way i feel for you and your in my thoughts .

·
Registered
266 Posts

Grandfather has 6 weeks left to live but his reason is due to cancer. Basically he did the the chemo thing for as long as possible. It has hit the point now that it no longer matters and he simply has 6 weeks tops.

My father had the bone marrow transplant when he was a kid, and yes the chances of you living through it are slim to none. He made it, but many do not. It is also probably going to be the most painfull experience of your life.

The options at this point are really up to you. Chemo sucks, your sick as hell durring it but at the moment if your wanting time then in my opinion i would ride out the chemo treatment until the doc says it won't work anymore. I am not 100% sure on the situation as far as can you ride out the chemo for say 4 months then opt for the marrow transplant or not. Hard for anyone to say i suppose.

Considering you have been doing chemo already you know what it does to you. So the question comes down to quality or quantity. There really is no right answer to this question and god knows it sucks when your talking about using that scenario with your own life.

Would you rather live 6 weeks, feel as best as you can and try to make it the best 6 weeks of your life? Or do chemo, be down a couple of weeks a month but have more time to say goodbye and what not to the people you know/love? Damn hard decision and only one that you will be able to make.

Basically, i myself would opt for either option 1 or 2. Reason being is because right now you know that you have at least 6 weeks, and at best 6 months. Bone marrow transplants are so extremely risky that if you go through with it say tomorrow, there is a 90% chance you won't wake up and today will be your last day on earth.

Good luck man, and no matter what anyone here (or elsewhere) says make the decision that you feel is best for you.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Wow, I did not know. I cannot imagine how you're feeling or what you're going through. Like others, I would have to say to try and fight it to the end and choose option # 3 with the bone marrow transplant. The biggest risk gives the biggest reward and with option #3, if successful, will allow to have a longer life expectancy. I will be praying for you and your family. May God bless you and whatever you decide to do. Please keep us informed on your decision.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

thanks for the replies folks. Still have no idea what to do but getting different perspectives helps. Not a decision i thought i'd have to make at the age of 24 but that's how it goes.

·
Banned
312 Posts

A friend of my family died tonight of leukemia.... best of luck to you and hope all is peaceful no matter what route you choose.

I would choose the Bone Marrow Option, continuing your chemo until a donor is available.

·
Non-emo
3,353 Posts

Josh... my vote goes for the transplant. I could type out my explanation, but like the others said... it's ultimately your decision. The way I look at it is this: Your ultimate choice is do you die now, relatively free of pain? Do you die soon, dealing with the pain for 2 weeks every month? Or do you take a shot in the dark at a chance to live longer? Ultimately, you have nothing to lose by doing the transplant and everything to gain if it is successful. Good luck with your decision, and good luck with the procedure should you choose to do it.

·
Registered
412 Posts

JoshGTV6 said:
thanks for the replies folks. Still have no idea what to do but getting different perspectives helps. Not a decision i thought i'd have to make at the age of 24 but that's how it goes.
No one so young should ever have to make a decision like that. Do you have a donor lined up for the bone marrow transplant?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

damn dude your only a few months younger than me , i cant imagine . just ..... damn

·
Registered
3 Posts

I guess we all had no idea..... and 24 at that.... Josh...what can be said...I know you ask for advice..and it is your decision...but since you asked and as most here suggested....it seems opt. 3 seems best since 1 and 2 don't offer very much. Also prayer and meditation is a great part of the whole self awarness. I am sending you good prayers and thoughts your way now. All the best to you and the family Josh. PM or message if you need anything.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts

well bro, josh, im sure you alredy know what im gonna say, cause, well yer my ****in homie, you alredy know what i did say before, keep fighting this, you are a strong dude bro, you can and will beat this, good luck homie, and hit me up anytime

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts

Well every situation is different. If it was my choice to make I would take choice number 3. Not for myself but for my wife and daughter. For me I would owe it to them to take that small chance at a long life. I had a cousin who had this in his early childhood and survived by transplant. I dont know how common it is or if there are different factors. Either way you choose, I wish for the best.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

redtib03 said:
No one so young should ever have to make a decision like that. Do you have a donor lined up for the bone marrow transplant?
i actually do have a donor already. pretty good one too, a 9/10 match which is hard to find. I was supposed to have a transplant months ago but it came out of remission after only 1 month and the odds suck to do it while it's out of remission so we've been trying to get it back in remission for the transplant but i stopped responding to treatment so i have no choice but to do it with everything being active.

Again, i really appreciate all the advice and kind words folks, i knew it would be a positive thing to bring this to my second family, the awesome nt.com crew.

·
AKA TidalWaveTiburon
768 Posts

WOW!! I don't know what to say here that has not already been said, but I would go with option 3 because it gives you more time and there is a chance of making it out, but as everyone else said it is case by case. I will be praying for you man :)

I don't know what I would do if I was told I had XXX to live :( Good Luck to you and your family, stay strong

1 - 20 of 245 Posts