Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Former Staff
5,452 Posts
I think I just had an orgasm...

Just did some simple math to figure out how much weight each WHP has to carry, which is a pretty good indicator of performance.

In a manual Accent (weighs 2464 lbs):
Stage 2 produces 200 WHP, meaning only 12.3 lbs/whp
Stage 2 Super produces 250 WHP, meaning only 9.8 lbs/whp

In a manual Elantra (weighs 2800 lbs):
Stage 2 produces 250 WHP, meaning only 11.2 lbs/whp
Stage 2 Super produces 300 WHP, meaning only 9.3 lbs/whp

In a manual Tib (weighs 3000 lbs):
Stage 2 produces 250 WHP, meaning only 12 lbs/whp
Stage 2 Super produces 300 WHP, meaning only 10 lbs/whp

For comparison, in the same price range, an Assasin on a stock V6 makes about 290 WHP, meaning 10.3 lbs/whp... and if you want to turn up the power more than 300 you need a built motor.

I am SO pissed I didn't get an I-4 :mad:

·
Banned
254 Posts
Well is 600 more than the Alpine Stage 1 I/C kit and produces 25 more horsepower to the wheels. Hmm, not sure if its worth it. Although the Stage 2 super sounds nice, probably needs work done to the engine internals though if they say it can boost you up to 300whp.

·
Former Staff
5,452 Posts
Well is 600 more than the Alpine Stage 1 I/C kit and produces 25 more horsepower to the wheels. Hmm, not sure if its worth it. Although the Stage 2 super sounds nice, probably needs work done to the engine internals though if they say it can boost you up to 300whp.
Unlike the V6, the I-4 is good for over 400 WHP on stock internals. The V6 has a safe limit of 300 WHP. Anything more than that you should have a built motor... meaning a LOT more money. While you'll pay 600 more up front, you can turn up the boost a lot more for a lot less in the long run.

And keep in mind, SFR is using these engines in these kits for their racing cars. They're designing them for race use, and then adapting them for street use. You can't beat that.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
9,528 Posts
As long as the compression is lowered, either by lo-comp pistons or gasket, and have a decent exhaust to increase flow and a nice grabby clutch to transfer the power, the I4 block should handle it.

Godddamn my stupid VVT. But God bless my 4 banger :D

·
Banned
254 Posts
Yeah but I went back on the site and clicked a few things and it suddenly jumped to 4800, so its a full grand more than the Alpine Kit. I threw in the clutch kit, vvt, and the new ecu straight from sfr and it skyrocketed. I dunno, its taking me a while to save for any turbo kit period, an extra grand is a lot.

We'll see...if I see some serious proof that the I4 can take the added power without any work done to the stock internals I'll think about it...maybe save up for the stage 2 super...300whp would certainly be nice.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
9,528 Posts
Yeah but I went back on the site and clicked a few things and it suddenly jumped to 4800, so its a full grand more than the Alpine Kit. I threw in the clutch kit, vvt, and the new ecu straight from sfr and it skyrocketed. I dunno, its taking me a while to save for any turbo kit period, an extra grand is a lot.

We'll see...if I see some serious proof that the I4 can take the added power without any work done to the stock internals I'll think about it...maybe save up for the stage 2 super...300whp would certainly be nice.
Keep in mind, that $1000 is well spent on a much needed clutch. You can also send them your ECU for a retune for cheaper, rather than getting a brand new one. It will also save you in labor costs to just do the whole turbo/clutch install at once, rather than getting the turbo thrown in, then roasting your clutch, buying a new one and installing it. I agree with AS that in the long run, you'll end up saving money.

Your other option would of course be Alpine.

As for proof, here it is

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You are way far behind, my friend and you have a lot of things to catch up.
I suggest you to visit our forum on http://www.seoulfulracing.net/forum
or search "KDMguy" here.

With 8.5:1 lower compression gasket you do not need any of internal work upto around 330whp.
With 7.8:1 1.8 pistons and connecting rods you will be able to push over 450whp.

These things are already proven and there are bunch of videos and pictures on our site.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i would say no to 400whp. i'm assuming i'm currently at about 180whp and will go up to 230whp at max, with alky for safeness ( if i ever happen to receive it :( ), maybe some day i'll upgrade to forged rods and pistons to up the boost more, but not now and not the closest time.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Ahhhh. That's soooo nice !!!

If only they sell a +430whp turbo package (like Pross) and if only I own a Tuscani, I would have bought one ASAP !

Hey, KDMGuy, any plans for greater turbo packages in the futur ?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhhh. That's soooo nice !!!

If only they sell a +430whp turbo package (like Pross) and if only I own a Tuscani, I would have bought one ASAP !

Hey, KDMGuy, any plans for greater turbo packages in the futur ?
Well, if you go over 300whp you will have troulble breaking the tranny.
It can be daily driven and have a good gas mileage, but it would be pain in the butt to pay all the installation fee for replacing gears that breaks once a while.
I know a person like me owning a shop can have our guys to change it, but customers will be paying a lot of $ for the labor.
That is why poweout of our stage 2 was limited upto 300whp when it could produces 30-40whp more depends on the boost.
However, we did have a plan to produce a kit for customers who are willing to push over 300whp and resposonsible for break the tranny.
It will be called 2.0 Race Stage 1 and Stage 2, and should be up sometime this weekend.

·
Banned
254 Posts
Or why not sell the kit with a new engine block ?

P.S: You own a +400whp i4 Tuscani right ? How's your tranny condition ?

Because that's ridiculous. Why sell an entire block when they could offer forged pistons, higer performance clutch, and gears?

BTW, an engine block is just that, the block. The engine is made up of cams, pistons, crankshaft, etc. etc. etc....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.