Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shift lever on my car is stuck. It will not allow my car to go into 2 4 and reverse. It looks like a 10 mm bolt that can be taken out to possibly side it out but I am not good with our transmissions and don't want to screw it up even more. Anyone know how to fix it?

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's hard to see in the picture, but my guess would be your upper shift linkage slipped out of the bracket (excuse my misuse of part names, I don't know the technical terms for each). It could be something else, but Anyways, I know when my slide clip broke my shift linkage fell out and I had the same issue. Any chance you could get a better picture down in there?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Assuming that you have a 5-speed, it sounds like either your shifter linkage or the bushing that connects the linkage to your actual shift shick is broken (hopefully its the second).

Try taking apart your center console like peachferarri said. You can use this as a guide:
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/diy-interior/116660-5-speed-short-shifter-install.html

Look at the 3rd-5th pictures. You see the two linkages connected to your shift stick? One of them controls the left-to-right motion. The other one is the important one right now. This one controls your "forward-and-backward motion" (like, going from Reverse to 1st. Sorry, but I don't know the technical terms). Check to see if this linkage is broken, loose, or disconnected. If its not broken on this side, then you can get a buddy to move the shift stick back and forth while you look at the transmission where the linkage connects to it.

Something similar to this happened to my parents' van. I'm not sure if the Tiburon's shifter linkage has them, but I know that for their van, the problem was a broken plastic bushing that caused the linkage to slip off the shift selector. It cost $10 and took a few seconds to insert. Good luck bro. I hope you get your car fixed!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I was looking and everything connects to the shifter fine the only problem is that the shift lever on the back of the transmission is stuck. 1 3 and 5 work fine I plan on pulling the transmission today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I was looking and everything connects to the shifter fine the only problem is that the shift lever on the back of the transmission is stuck. 1 3 and 5 work fine I plan on pulling the transmission today.
Did anything ever come of this? I'm currently having the same issue.I removed the two levers from their shafts and get them back on properly because the shift lever shaft on the trans won't move.Prior to removing them everything was fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts