Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Tiburon GT V6
13 Posts
i have a 05 tibby gt 5 speed, lately when i go to reverse, the shifter wont move. i turn car off then it goes right to reverse. anyone know problem?
This could be "normal" wear - as transmissions are used, the gears and pins and keys and everything else inside bend and wear down. As a result there's going to be some slop in the components eventually.
Reverse not going in due to "normal" slop can usually be worked around by shifting into first gear before shifting to reverse with the car stationary.

Now, if reverse is binding, your clutch may have air in it, it might be in need of fresh fluid or the cylinder might be lazy (never heard of a cylinder failing but I suppose that could happen with enough rust). In that case your clutch may need to be bled or flushed. Bleeding means pumping fluid through the cylinders until there's no air detectable - flushing is the same thing, but running fluid through the system until none of the old fluid (or air) remains.

If you're thinking of doing that, removing the clutch fluid restrictor plate at the same time might not be a bad idea - clutch pedal response becomes noticeably better with the restrictor gone. See this video for reference..

·
Registered
'04 Tiburon GT V6
13 Posts
thank you sir!!! i'll try that
Oh, another thing springs to mind: your shifter bushings might be on the way out. When I got my '04 GT this February, the shifter bushings were almost completely gone - shifting felt horrible and it was kind of difficult to get first, second, fifth and sixth gear in (as well as reverse). The bushings are like little rubber pucks with holes in them, with a brass bushing on the inside. The brass bushing had gotten stuck due to rust buildup, which caused it to rip from the rubber, after which it just carved huge holes into the pucks.
I already ordered some new shifter cables which came with new bushings, which I immediately used to replace the old bushings, and shifting is a lot better.
I've also got these Torque Solution Shifter Cable Bushings for Hyundai Tiburon 2003+ | eBay, which feel nice (though they're not installed as they're stuck on the new cables which are waiting in a shelf because installing them requires removal of the dash and moving some AC components), but you could also just have some local machine shop make you some correctly sized Delrin inserts if that's more convenient for you. The 100% Delrin bushings should last longer than the car, and are self-lubricating.
Pro tip: when installing tight fit bushings like those, keep the car somewhere warm, and put the new bushings in the freezer. They'll pop right into the hoop on the cable without any fight that way. Once they're thawed out, they'll also be easy-ish to push onto the levers on the gearbox.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts