Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a first car and I found this beautiful 2003 Tiburon with only 107,000kms on it. Body is mint, engine and transmission sound pretty good, clutch isn't slipping. The only things I noticed that were wrong with the vehicle is that the parking brake just doesn't work and no matter how hard I pulled, it only pulled like 2 clicks up. Also the tires are pretty gone. Just need to know if this is going to be an expensive car to upkeep over the years as insurance is roughly going to cost me $464/month.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking to buy a first car and I found this beautiful 2003 Tiburon with only 107,000kms on it. Body is mint, engine and transmission sound pretty good, clutch isn't slipping. The only things I noticed that were wrong with the vehicle is that the parking brake just doesn't work and no matter how hard I pulled, it only pulled like 2 clicks up. Also the tires are pretty gone. Just need to know if this is going to be an expensive car to upkeep over the years as insurance is roughly going to cost me $464/month.

Thanks in advance!!
Oh yeah, and the selling price for the vehicle is $4k but I talked the seller down to about $3,200

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Run a book value to see if that's a good deal in your area. Values fluctuate a lot depending on location etc.

As far as the parking brake not engaging, the most likely culprit is the rear calipers. The parking brake cables attach to "ears" on the calipers to engage the rear brakes, and they often seize up at that connection point. The only real way to fix it is to replace the calipers.

If you're mechanically inclined at all these cars aren't bad to work on and parts prices aren't bad either. There's a ton of info on this forum about anything and everything you may need to do. With that mileage I'd ask when the timing belt was last done and budget to do it right after buying if it's not recent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Run a book value to see if that's a good deal in your area. Values fluctuate a lot depending on location etc.

As far as the parking brake not engaging, the most likely culprit is the rear calipers. The parking brake cables attach to "ears" on the calipers to engage the rear brakes, and they often seize up at that connection point. The only real way to fix it is to replace the calipers.

If you're mechanically inclined at all these cars aren't bad to work on and parts prices aren't bad either. There's a ton of info on this forum about anything and everything you may need to do. With that mileage I'd ask when the timing belt was last done and budget to do it right after buying if it's not recent.
I did a little looking on the forum before I went out there. I asked when the timing belt was last changed and since this was passed down to him, he didn't know. In fact, he didn't know much about the parts in the car at all. Didn't know when the clutch was last changed, didn't even know about the parking brake until I told him, didn't know about the timing belt, etc. I'm just concerned about purchasing it and having to spend over $1k on repairs for it to be roadworthy. Any specific parts, besides the timing belt that need to be replaced around the current mileage it's at?

Thanks for the quick reply btw :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
yeah timing belt, oil change with oem hyundai filter, ebrake cables and if necessary, the rear calipers. that's about it. also take a look at the crank pulley, accessory belt tensioner, and serpentine belt since the timing belt is coming off.

usually when ppl replace timing belts, they replace the tensioner and water pump along with the timing belt since it's all under the timing cover.

you can check the ebrake linkage in in the center console box too if you open it up and pull the liner up off the bottom of the bin (it's the access to where the cables hook into) and you can see if it's one side that's binding or both.

if you're doing this all yourself, it's probably not too bad in terms of cost.

clutch.... keep it till it starts slipping a little, then get an uprated single mass flywheel/clutch replacement (with higher clamping force) , new valeo throwout bearing, and have the rear main seal replaced (since it's not often you'll be in there between the motor and gearbox)

Reactions: Ishy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah timing belt, oil change with oem hyundai filter, ebrake cables and if necessary, the rear calipers. that's about it. also take a look at the crank pulley, accessory belt tensioner, and serpentine belt since the timing belt is coming off.

usually when ppl replace timing belts, they replace the tensioner and water pump along with the timing belt since it's all under the timing cover.

you can check the ebrake linkage in in the center console box too if you open it up and pull the liner up off the bottom of the bin (it's the access to where the cables hook into) and you can see if it's one side that's binding or both.

clutch.... keep it till it starts slipping a little, then get an uprated single mass flywheel/clutch replacement (with higher clamping force) , new valeo throwout bearing, and have the rear main seal replaced (since it's not often you'll be in there between the motor and gearbox)
Thank you! It's much appreciated, let's hope it's not too pricey of a fix

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Yeah I should have mentioned the other things to do with the timing belt. Get the Gates kit (TCK-WP315) and replace everything that comes with it--though you may want an OEM water pump gasket instead of the one in the kit. Some people also do the cam and crank seals while you're in there, I plan to with my timing belt job coming up but many just leave them. Up to you on that one. The seals are cheap so you can buy them and see what yours looks like when you're in there if you want. Or just look for any evidence of oil seepage and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
4,697 Posts
So I browse Kijiji all the time btw so I am sure you're referring to that yellow one :p On the face of it that one looks pretty good overall. The plus side with these cars you can get replacement parts cheap (new or used). If you're on FB there's a local group called Toronto Tiburon Group (open to all of Ontario) and if you need help with installing parts I am sure someone local will be able to.

Also, I thoroughly hate car insurance, I know your pain. When I bought my car when I was 18 it was $360/month even after a massive 65% off in discounts. One thing I didn't know at the time, that I reeeally wished I did, is that you can get liability-only insurance. That means if you get into an accident they wont cover the costs of repair. Which, considering how cheap out cars are is the better option IMO (especially since I do all work myself anyway). Of course, the insurance company neglected to mention such an option. Could've saved me a fortune back then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I browse Kijiji all the time btw so I am sure you're referring to that yellow one :p On the face of it that one looks pretty good overall. The plus side with these cars you can get replacement parts cheap (new or used). If you're on FB there's a local group called Toronto Tiburon Group (open to all of Ontario) and if you need help with installing parts I am sure someone local will be able to.

Also, I thoroughly hate car insurance, I know your pain. When I bought my car when I was 18 it was $360/month even after a massive 65% off in discounts. One thing I didn't know at the time, that I reeeally wished I did, is that you can get liability-only insurance. That means if you get into an accident they wont cover the costs of repair. Which, considering how cheap out cars are is the better option IMO (especially since I do all work myself anyway). Of course, the insurance company neglected to mention such an option. Could've saved me a fortune back then.
It is that yellow one! I'll definitely take a look at the group. Fair enough on the insurance part. I might possibly look into that, but it may be nice to have since drivers around these parts are beyond awful :/ Glad to have joined a wonderful and amazing community! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
3 Posts

I agree with RetfirDMX on the Valeo clutch. I still have my 03 Tiburon. I bought new. I dont drive it much anymore, but I refuse to sell it too. So the 03 had issues the dual mass clutch is the worst of it. the Body Control Module or BMC is one of the other issue. if your handy you could fix the bmc yourself. so good luck man.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just make sure the Timing Belt was done within the last 60,000mi or 5 years.
Other than that just inspect the car like any other prepurchase inspection.

They can be good cars but they've reached the point where only kids are buying them now so the car's reliability often tanks.
Don't expect to be fast or have an abundance of [cheap] aftermarket support either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts