Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the ARK N2 exhaust system and magnaflow cat, since it is really hard to find headers for our I4 Tibby, should I just stay with the stock headers? or would it be better of just installing the exhaust system and not the magnaflow since I don't have an aftermarket headers anyway? I do have the AEM CAI, though...

What do you guys think???

John Buncio

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
yea, i'd keep the stock headers on the I4 since a N/A I4 is still slow as hell anyways,

unless you get supercharged, you would be wasting your money on headers since you would need a turbo manifold/downpipe if you decide to go turbo

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Heres my opinion.

Always keep stock parts no matter what (wether it be on of off the car).

• Using an aftermarket header removes the CAT
  • Aftermarket exhausts for the tibby generally removes/doesnt include a CAT
  • Aftermarket headers make an ehauxt LOUDER
There are a few choices for us 2.0L tibbys. OBX has a 4,2,1 and hotshot has a 4,1. There are a few more (SSA for I4?), but I cant remember off the top of my head. Hotshots are about $400usd and obx is around $240usd. Both need a 2nd O2 bung welded in (no more than $40).

If you get a header and an exhaust, weld a cat in the exhaust. Save some 02 please (not to mention running catless is smelly- cops!). If getting an aftermarket header would be too loud, stick with the stock.

·
Registered
723 Posts
unless i've been gone for a really long time, there are plenty of options.

like said before, if you dont want your car to be noticeably louder with cabin droning, do not buy.
the hp increase by the numbers isnt great, but as far as the feel, a 4-2-1 header is more fun for daily driving than without....better throttle response, more "pull" (if you can actually consider it pull, but for the lack of a better word) throughout the entire rpm band...worth it if you just want a little more power from your daily driver and you dont have little kids or your wife to nag you about the noise....it's only a few hundred bucks, why not? esp if you plan on keeping the car for a while

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
As long as you don't care about the noise, GO FOR IT! Especially on an I-4. Doing an I-4 header swap on our cars is rediculously easy. It'll give you more hp (not saying it'll turn your car into a drag car or anything), will be a good upgrade for a future turbo if you choose to go F/I, and it'll give you one hella bit of satisfaction doing your own header exchange. On the v-6s, its a pain in the royal arse, so a lot of us don't do it for that reason.

·
Registered
723 Posts
last time i checked, headers and a turbo setup do not, on a conventional level, go together

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
last time i checked, headers and a turbo setup do not, on a conventional level, go together
granted my limited knowledge on F/I, even more so with turbo setups than Superchargers, but if I'm not mistaking, turbo setups need better exhaust flow. Headers are a part of the exhaust system, thus the common term for a combination header and catback exhaust is a full "engine back exhaust". Does one require the other? No. But I'm pretty sure it's definately beneficial. I know with superchargers, Ripps SDS system requires a better flowing aftermarket exhaust. And a turbo setup uses the exhaust to power the turbine instead of the intake, so I'm guessing its all that much more important to have better flowing exhaust and bigger pipes.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Actually I just ordered the OBX I4 header.

And buying a header is beneficial for forced induction setup- but unfortunately a turbo is connected to the headers- meaning; Turbo headers are different than N/A headers.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,456 Posts
btw....

I4 = header
V6 = headers

·
Registered
723 Posts
granted my limited knowledge on F/I, even more so with turbo setups than Superchargers, but if I'm not mistaking, turbo setups need better exhaust flow. Headers are a part of the exhaust system, thus the common term for a combination header and catback exhaust is a full "engine back exhaust". Does one require the other? No. But I'm pretty sure it's definately beneficial. I know with superchargers, Ripps SDS system requires a better flowing aftermarket exhaust. And a turbo setup uses the exhaust to power the turbine instead of the intake, so I'm guessing its all that much more important to have better flowing exhaust and bigger pipes.
nooo...unless your turbine is located somewhere other than the engine bay (which maybe occurs on .02% of all turbo setups) you will be using a turbo exhaust manifold, quite different in shape and size, it's a short tubular exhaust manifold to which the turbo is mounted to INSIDE the engine bay very close to the block which would be impossible with a conventional header....and yes the less back pressure the better for a turbo setup, you have the right idea, you just need to get the specifics right before you start handing out information

now in the case of a sc, a normal 4-2-1 or 4-1 header will be benificial as well as a free flowing exhaust, but nothing as druastic as a turbo would need...ie 2.5 compared to 3 inches

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
nooo...unless your turbine is located somewhere other than the engine bay (which maybe occurs on .02% of all turbo setups) you will be using a turbo exhaust manifold, quite different in shape and size, it's a short tubular exhaust manifold to which the turbo is mounted to INSIDE the engine bay very close to the block which would be impossible with a conventional header....and yes the less back pressure the better for a turbo setup, you have the right idea, you just need to get the specifics right before you start handing out information

now in the case of a sc, a normal 4-2-1 or 4-1 header will be benificial as well as a free flowing exhaust, but nothing as druastic as a turbo would need...ie 2.5 compared to 3 inches
Thus the reason I said "I might be wrong" and "my limited knowledge... especially with a turbo setup". I'll always be the first to admit if I'm wrong. In this case, I never claimed to be right.

·
Registered
723 Posts
thats fine, just before you say things make sure what you are saying is correct, otherwise some nt.com noob goes and buys a header for his turbo setup...not that it wouldnt be funny, but im sure he would prob be a little pissed off

1 - 17 of 17 Posts