Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Should I replace my control arms?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sccarlso 
#1 ·
Yeah so my tibby has 151,000 miles on it, I doubt the control arms have ever been replaced on it, was thinking since I Mmmm replacing all the e suspension underneath should I go ahead and do the control arms? Motor mounts look ok still, but how long do control arms last usually? I had an 02 Elantra one time that needed its control arms replaced and the main symptom was the fact that when I turned my wheels especially to the left it made a LOUD as horrible noise like something was dying underneath the car lol. Luckily my tibby doesn’t do that yet so I think they should be ok for now you know? Anyone have experiences with control arms goin bad on them?

#2 ·
The only experience I've had with them is having them checked under the recall. There was a recall for certain Tibs where they inspected and either coated the control arms or replaced them if necessary. I think they just treated mine and they didn't need replacement. If you create a "my Hyundai" account on hyundaiusa.com you can run your VIN to see if yours was affected and/or has had the recall done.

#4 ·
I agree to inspect. I replaced my struts & put in lowered springs on my ‘05 SE. But getting it aligned, both control arms were shot. The shop wanted $180 ea for them! Lol, right.

I got Auto1 replacements for $17 ea at Rockauto. On recommendation here, I bought that brand, and they were indeed OEM Hyundai Tuscani parts as expected. Not hard to install, especially if you’re doing the entire suspension. I wouldn’t just replace the bushing either.

But will make a huge difference if the bushings are shredded. Assuming you want tight steering and everything nice & balanced. If the bushings are even slightly worn, if you can get them on a closeout or great price like that. I’d replace them for peace of mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.