Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Serious topic here...I have an 05 Tib, I4, 52k miles. Second car I've ever owned...it replaced my 2002 1.8l Sentra...so that was definitely an improvement. Until now, I really never had a problem with the car..I mean, it runs fine and takes me from point A to point B. My problem is this: it needs new tires and will soon have to go through the water pump/timing belt replacement...an easy 1500$ expense. Secondly, I live in North East PA (NEPA), so there are tons of mountains and hills and we all know how much of a pain I4 can be in this situation...Now, mix mountains and hills with snow and things aren't much better (Let's just say NEPA isn't an area with really terrible road management and care).

In other words, I wish the Tib had a little more power and managed better in the snow (I don't want to mention how many times I got stuck on my drive way!). With the current market, this car can probably be sold for 7-10k. I considered a Santa Fe or Tuscon, but I'm not really sure if I want an SUV. I've seen a few 325xi's going for my price range (whatever I'd sell my car for and whatever I'd have to spend on maintenance my current Tib)..but those all have 70-100k miles. Would it be dumb to get a car like that? I've ventured off to their forums and they seem to love their cars..but they mention repairs a lot...I looked at A4 Quattros.. but I heard the electronics are terrible on that car..Any suggestions?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Every car has problems - some more than others - but obviously they're never going to be maintenance-free. I'd get a truck or something for winter, and just lock the tib up. Yeah a beater truck is going to be more maintenance, but that way you don't have to worry about salt and snow and grit all over your 'nice' car, your crappy trucks taking the beating, and nice car stays nice. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every car has problems - some more than others - but obviously they're never going to be maintenance-free. I'd get a truck or something for winter, and just lock the tib up. Yeah a beater truck is going to be more maintenance, but that way you don't have to worry about salt and snow and grit all over your 'nice' car, your crappy trucks taking the beating, and nice car stays nice. :)

I'd love to do that..but I'm 21 and live in an apartment...I could imagine what my insurance would be like haha...

All cars have maintenance, but some more than others. Some posters complain about their Tibs, but I've never had an issue with mine yet (almost 10k of those miles done by me)...

·
Registered
541 Posts
You normally get raped trading or selling a Tib. (or any car for that matter)
If there is nothing wrong with it, keep it and save your money.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I'd keep it and get a beater truck for the winter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm sure the insurance on a beater truck wouldn't be half as bad as what they view as a sports car. If the truck is only worth 2-3k the most they'll ever pay is the value of the vehicle, in the case of it being totaled or having repairs worth more than the vehicle itself. If you have a pretty big deductible I don't imagine they would care much at all.

bakerking or any other insurance pros correct me if I'm wrong there...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The second car thing would be tough for me...I live in an apartment with tight parking..not sure if its really worth the hassle..I really just want one car to take care of ...

Thanks for the suggestions..but does anyone have any background on the 3 series? Worth it? I'm trying to find non-fanboy answers

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If your an honest seller then your going to have to drop your sell price for the price of tires and timing belt replacement. Buy some cheap winter tires-300. Do the timing belt replacement via DIY on here-150. 450 maintenance and save up for some good all season tires next year. 1500=Ridiculous.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hence the 7-10k price range...

Either way..I'm going to have to spend cash...Would I like to drive a 325? Yes. Absolutely. I want to know if they are worth trading for...I'm trying to get non-fanboy answers from both sides....The same way I'll admit Tibs are underpowered cars with cheap plastic every where, I want to know the same accurate type of descriptions on the BMW.

·
Premium Member
7,224 Posts
keep it and get a beater like a truck or an old subaru I live in upstate new york I have a 97 outback for winter i recommend that but if you dont want 2 cars go for a wrx sporty yet great in the snow and powerful but obviously not as pretty as the tib. just an idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts