Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Come To Believe And Know Now That The Sigma 3.5l V6 From Hyundai Is The Exact Same Engine As The 6g74 3.5l V6 From Mitsubishi ,Same Exact 3,497cc, Same exact 93mm bore ,same 85.8mm stoke, and same exact cast iron block and aluminum heads.

So What I Am Wondering If They Are Exactly The same Then That Means Some performance parts for the 6G74 Should fit in the sigma like forged internals, that could mean a 1000whp tiburon >:D
Pictures:
Turbo Sigma 3.5l In A Hyundai Tiburon

6G74 In A Mitsubishi 3000gt

Note That They Look Very Similar Just Flipped around

·
Super Moderator
4,581 Posts
I believe you are correct. I did a lot of research on this before and the idea of swapping in a Mitsubishi 3000GT AWD drivetrain popped in my head. At least in the future when I have my own garage, all tools, a broader skill set and several Tiburons that I would like to try to do this. I'll get started in about 5 years from now, brb.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe you are correct. I did a lot of research on this before and the idea of swapping in a Mitsubishi 3000GT AWD drivetrain popped in my head. At least in the future when I have my own garage, all tools, a broader skill set and several Tiburons that I would like to try to do this. I'll get started in about 5 years from now, brb.
Yep same exact thing I was planning to do awd 1000 whp tiburon

·
Registered
518 Posts
I also looked far into this. Seems like a very good possibility for a swap, considering the lack of aftermarket for the sigma and lambda have stopped a lot of people from doing any serious builds besides a select few.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Tiburon with bigger engine and AWD system? I would honestly **** myself in joy. I hope you guys make this happen.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The only issue that would drive me to never want to do this is VR4's are one of the worst cars to work on... I always wanted one and after working on a few I will never own one... Unless I have tons of money to pay someone else every time anything needs to be done on it...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow, didn't realize the engine in the 3000GT was a 6G74.... I thought all of them had the 3.0L 6G72 DOHC motor. They all look identical from the top, but I guess they should since the only real difference is in the cylinder bore size. My other car actually has the 6G73 2.5L SOHC V6 (below), so I'm no stranger to these motors. Interesting to see that some Hyundais and DSMs have something in common. Sounds like an easy (but not cheap) way to pack more power into the average Tib.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep in the far future I plan on building the most powerful delta V6 hopefully 1000 whp with massive twin Turbos fully built motor and striped interior, and when the delta V6 blows up I'm going to swap in the sigma V6 and see if 6g74 internals can fit in if so 1000+ whp tiburon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep in the far future I plan on building the most powerful delta V6 hopefully 1000 whp with massive twin Turbos fully built motor and striped interior, and when the delta V6 blows up I'm going to swap in the sigma V6 and see if 6g74 internals can fit in if so 1000+ whp tiburon
Holy **** that would be insane!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
not to bring up old **** but im gonna go ahead and do this swap. blew up the 2.7 and picked up a sigma from pick a part for $99. a good % of the 6g: 72 (vr4)73 74 and 75 parts are interchange because they use the same block with different pistons and cranks. they have matching block numbers to the sigma. add a 6g75 crank and you get a sigma 3.7 stroker. bore out to 97mm its a 4.2 stroker sigma. add vr4 turbo manifolds and add tt to the end of each one of them sigmas. they have forged pistons rods cranks pulleys in the mitsu world 3sx.org, everything direct bolt into sigmas. the guys on 3si.org talk about sigmas all the time. they steal our sigma heads out of junkyards for the dohc. i here someones trying to fab sante fe transfer case adapter plates too awd.
google
3sx performance.org
3si.org 6g74 stroker
pampena motorsports

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Don't forget about the orientation of the motor and the engine in the Mitsu is 3.0L not 3.5. Unless you plan to swap and entire 3000GT drivetrain your gonna run into major issues and major issues = MAJOR money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you do it?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'll get started in about 5 years from now, brb.
Did you do it?
Haha called out by a guy on the forum 2 days... :LOL:
Actually thanks for bringing this up, totally forgot and I'd like to see if Gabe has started this yet. Almost 5 years to the month.

·
Super Moderator
4,581 Posts
Did you do it?
lol I gotta say I love that you asked this right on the five years later as I have said. And this served as a reminder for me to be thankful for where I am and have progressed to over the years, and that things have in some way or another gone to plan, or as how I had dreamed (actually slightly better so). So, in the last 5-year period I have:
1. Thought of a much better idea than engine swapping (makes use of the original Delta, maybe I'll show my sketch later)
2. While it's not my garage, I have been working on my car in at a friend's shop where in a sense I have been using it as if it were mine. Have access to all the tools I could ever need (and then some).
3. I have in fact broaden my skill set, however primarily in body work. I have still yet to weld, though the shop recently acquired welding equipment. Hopefully I will learn.
4. I also happen to own two Tiburons! One is for winter / when I'm working on my main one, which is still happening, but as of this very moment I have expedited that process since my winter Tib fell apart a couple days ago (but will fix it)

Everyone has different ideas for cars, or with modifying them. As for me I have decided to constrain myself modifying a car in such a manner so that it is the best version of itself. Generally speaking this would exclude engine swaps (though exceptions can be made). Swapping for a 3000GT drivetrain IMO is a bit too much in this case. Consider this: I made my own body kit for my GK, but it ultimately is an exaggeration of the original body. I could have made any design I wanted, I could even have turned it into a different car altogether if I wanted to. But that would defeat my goal entirely.

·
Super Moderator
4,581 Posts
Haha called out by a guy on the forum 2 days... :LOL:
Actually thanks for bringing this up, totally forgot and I'd like to see if Gabe has started this yet. Almost 5 years to the month.
haha it's all good. Not sure if he was necessarily calling me out, he may just be interested and perhaps considering a swap himself and looking for more info. Glad he posted though because of course I'm not gonna remember every post I've ever made, and this one in particular was cool to go over because basically I've been in the process of doing exactly what I had dreamed of at the time, so I am grateful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently acquired a supercharged v6 tiburon with a blown motor. I have a stock on the stand right now that im gapping the pison rings. Also putting in a haltech sprint 500 to tune it. I plan on blowing this motor up this summer pushing as hard as i can. But im gonna build a 3.5 sigma with the mitsubishi internals and get it to 4.2 so when i blow it up its ready for the upgrade. Hopefully the 4.2 will be ready this summer for the races.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I recently acquired a supercharged v6 tiburon with a blown motor. I have a stock on the stand right now that im gapping the pison rings. Also putting in a haltech sprint 500 to tune it. I plan on blowing this motor up this summer pushing as hard as i can. But im gonna build a 3.5 sigma with the mitsubishi internals and get it to 4.2 so when i blow it up its ready for the upgrade. Hopefully the 4.2 will be ready this summer for the races.
Thats awesome man I've always thought of that swap but I think I'll stick with the 2.7l for now im working in boosting my 2.7l on stock internals and having fun with it goal is 400whp on stock long block. Then ill get a built motor on the side abd push the stock 2.7l to its limits

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
that's a 10 thousand dollar choice to blow and engine and then build another... If you are going to build a 3.5, start now... If you have 1 car to drive, build 1 engine. if i were you, i would be building that super charger kit around the sigma.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts