Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I already have tiburon that has the 2.7 in it. And has the ripp kit installed and running now. It has the safc2. I have decided to put a 6g75 3.8 on it this winter. I can get 300hp and lots more torque n/a out of it. With my supercharger and the haltech controlling it with e85. Im hoping to push 450hp to the wheels

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
side note, i have a 3.5l and a 5 speed awd trans coming in soon. Hunting down the rest of the parts i need for an attempt an an awd conversion. cross member carrier, transfer case, rear differential, front/ rear axles, drive shaft bearings/ bracket all ordered, hunting down a few more parts, like a drive shaft. (but im holding off on ordering that jus yet, because i may need a custom one made. (im hoping the stock santa fe will fit) I'll try and post pics in the coming days, been a while since i had anythign worth posting.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
I already have tiburon that has the 2.7 in it. And has the ripp kit installed and running now. It has the safc2. I have decided to put a 6g75 3.8 on it this winter. I can get 300hp and lots more torque n/a out of it. With my supercharger and the haltech controlling it with e85. Im hoping to push 450hp to the wheels
post some pics of the ripp install. I'm curious to see how you went about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will. My biggest concern is i have an auto tranny. Trying to control the tranny with a standalone and having mitsibushi motor especially if i go to awd. Thats gonna be a headache. Im gonna try to make it to the dyno this week. Will post up my results. Im guessing 300 ish on 12psi

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
I will. My biggest concern is i have an auto tranny. Trying to control the tranny with a standalone and having mitsibushi motor especially if i go to awd. Thats gonna be a headache. Im gonna try to make it to the dyno this week. Will post up my results. Im guessing 300 ish on 12psi
there are all sorts of race/ performance transmission shops hat can offer you built/ upgraded transmissions, even if you convert to a manual, witht the amount of power you want to put down, you will need to look into getting built trans/ custom built axles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Built transmission or not. Fwd just sucks. Thats why i hope i can do the awd swap or even rwd

·
Registered
40 Posts
theres not exactly alot of things u can do to our transmissions. My neighbor owns a tranny shop and is gonna help me with the awd swap

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
OK, so to keep on topic, and for those of you who are curious.... The reading i have been doing, suggests that the first generation KIA sorento 3.5l engines are sigmas... they have a completely different intake manifold system. BUT the KIA sorentos came with a manual 5 speed, and an automatic... so there is a possibility to swap in a 3.5l AND get the manual transmission that you would like. They cam ein RWD and AWD options. The firewall is not your friend here, There is a possibility ov having to move the firewall, or atleast not certain areas. But in my opinion, if you are swapping in a custom engine set up, you should be relocating your fire wall anyway. Make sure you have enough room in the bay so you can work in there. Otherwise you're gonna have to drop the subframe everytime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I didnt realize the kia had a 5 speed. That would make it alot easier to deal with without a pcm

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
the early kia 3.5l engines are sigmas, midd 200s they changed. The amanti, sedona, xg350, santa fe 3.5 all have the same engines, (there are other models also). The BIG reason why im interested in doing this swap, is the potential... not the immediate horsepower upgrade (only a few). The potential the 3.5 has is huge. It has stock 10:1 compression, which is awesome for a stock factory engine (plan on building a forced induction kit) plus an iron block. The drivetrain and electrical are going to have to go hand in hand, or completely go custom electrical. might as well try plopping on of these in the rear. Home made hyundai supercar killer, lol yeah right, but it would be a fun build.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the early kia 3.5l engines are sigmas, midd 200s they changed. The amanti, sedona, xg350, santa fe 3.5 all have the same engines, (there are other models also). The BIG reason why im interested in doing this swap, is the potential... not the immediate horsepower upgrade (only a few). The potential the 3.5 has is huge. It has stock 10:1 compression, which is awesome for a stock factory engine (plan on building a forced induction kit) plus an iron block. The drivetrain and electrical are going to have to go hand in hand, or completely go custom electrical. might as well try plopping on of these in the rear. Home made hyundai supercar killer, lol yeah right, but it would be a fun build.
Thats why im going with the 6g75. Same block as the 3.5 but longer stroke better internals from factory and have a bit more power from the get go same compression 10.1 or 10.5.1. With a good piston ring gap and keeping the intake temp down has a lot of potential.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
front engine awd/ rwd swap, or a mid engine conversion.. either one is a process, and has its own hurdles. Which to build is up to what the goals of your car are. ANYTHING is possible, jus need time, and some cash, and the desire to learn how to do it yourself. If a 3.5 sigma can fit in a gk tib engine bay (with minimal modification) ((im also assuming the trans is in these builds from Korea)) there is no way it shouldn't fit with a custom cleaned up engine bay set up. Remove all the nonesense, and you can get it in the front. Roll cage, and rebrace the frame, and you'll be able to cut out the rear, to potentially build the frame work for the rear subframe/ mounting area. The car MUST be reinforced before you start hacking it apart, you don't want it to warp/ twist on you while workig.

Lots of people ask why not put in a newer engine (mid/ late 2000s and up) in, instead of the older sigmas... my reasoning, the amount of "computers and extra wiring, and ******** valve timing, and other garbage is completely useless for me, so i dont need any of that stuff. Plus the older engine are more affordable currently.

The talk of mitsu parts fitting in our engines... the early sonata 2.5s will fit some mitsu stuff, and some intake parts for the 3.5l, other than that. Not much is actually compatible without modification/ major understanding of swapping parts. why? because the EARLY hyundai engines were apparently designed, and manufactured by mitsu, for hyundai. Once hyundai got rolling, they started making their own stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im pretty sure its a draw through. I dont actually remember lol. The mitsubishi engine im getting bolts up to my tranny no problems. Cause the block is the same as sigma. Reason why im not going with the sigma is so i dont have tk try and use other parts. And maybe fit... the 3.8 has lots of possibilities that are 100% known to work also has a non variable valve timing option. And im using a standalone to run it anyways also mitsubishi uses coils that have spark ignitors built in them.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Im pretty sure its a draw through. I dont actually remember lol. The mitsubishi engine im getting bolts up to my tranny no problems. Cause the block is the same as sigma. Reason why im not going with the sigma is so i dont have tk try and use other parts. And maybe fit... the 3.8 has lots of possibilities that are 100% known to work also has a non variable valve timing option. And im using a standalone to run it anyways also mitsubishi uses coils that have spark ignitors built in them.
what trans/ drive train are you using?

This is all interesting and im hlad to see my old post flourishing again
Me too! I've been sifting through the boards for a while now, trying to figure out a way to condense some of the info we have. And trying to find some local shops to get some "performance parts" made. Mostly jus porting and polishing intake manifolds, and a few custom pieces. imagine if someone could get the stage iv made for purchase on the regular?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts