Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Slortchus Maximus Non-Adminus
7,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15) No Blatant Advertising. This forum is not free advertising space. Members found violating this policy will be suspended. Posts promoting business websites, commercial web sites, competing websites, etc. will be deleted without notice (this includes sigs and avatars).
With all the recent drama regarding non-sponsors and our enforcement of this rule, we are ironing out some details to make it fair for everyone and now I ask for your opinion on this rule and how you would like us to enforce it since it is here to protect you, our sponsors.

Enforcement Option One
  • No links to non-sponsor sites
  • No adverstisements to non-sponsor sites
  • Acceptable Example : I just just bought a t-shirt from NewTiburon!
  • Unacceptable Example : I just just bought a t-shirt from NewTiburon.com!

Enforcement Option Two
  • No blatant advertisments to non-sponsor sites
  • Acceptable Example : I just just bought a t-shirt from NewTiburon.com!
  • Unacceptable Example : I just just bought a t-shirt from NewTiburon.com GO HERE NOW!!! and There is a sale going on over on NewTiburon/NewTiburon.com for t-shirts!!!

Option One is more strict and doesn't allow a link of any kind to any non-sponsor, but quite honestly makes it difficult to share non-sponsor websites and very hard to enforce since it will occur much more often.

Option Two is alittle more lax and is all about the context in which they use the link. It allows link sharing to non-sponsor sites but doesn't allow any advertising or the pushing of people over to that site. This more or less what we've been enforcing in the past.

What is your take on the matter? This rule is here for YOU so please provide some feedback.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
well, I know how I was treated when I took my break from NT - and how it was enforced - even though it made me angry, I had no say about how it was enforced, it just was... so changing it now - sounds like a wimp out... so I say we stick with what has been going on...

We all know this is mainly a NGM thing - Tim asked to be removed, this is not a punishment for him - I have seen blatent advertising masked as a question ( and then followed up with a post that shows it was advertising) and then outright blatent advertising as links...

I remember a guy ( who doesn't know me, or have anything to do with me) posted a link to one of my eBay sales and bragged on my product in the for sale forum - it was removed within 30 minutes - so.. even though it may increase the amount of posts deleted, and sigs removed - I say we stick to the rules as they are

Tim will be back anyways... he is nothing without NT, not the other way around

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Well, if you've got either option there, it might as well be the first one. What's the point of allowing "some" questionable posts and allowing others to survive because they're worded differently? I say to keep it as strict as could be, otherwise the staff will be debating the intent of every single post in question. You know me...I don't see a reason to create grey areas.

As for Next Gen, I actually just finalized a deal with TC to become his first distributor--so his products will be available directly to NT.com members through us.

Richard....you might question the timing of this, but I assure you I have been speaking with TC about having access to his products for a few months now. I hope you don't view this negatively.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm down with option one, as it creates no grey areas. I do, however, want to see this brought up a month or so after the decision is made on how to start the changes, so that we can evaluate things later.

Option one also creates the need for forum nazis, and it can get a bit excessive. Nobody likes getting edited or screamed at for simple mistakes. I know some sites have zero policies, and are rediculously hard to post or find info. Others have so many rules, its.. well, rediculously hard to post or find info. If this seems to work without creating any drama for users, then lets do it for good, otherwise we can decide another avenue later. My .02

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
Here is my 3rd option.....

There should be no links to sites who have a decent selection of tiburon related products. For example....

Allowed:
cardomain
clutchmaster
fidanza
aem
injen

etc.... these people's primary business is a multitude of cars.

not allowed:

dreamka4u
ngmhouseofpower

etc...

these smaller sites either make products for the tib themselves, or resell tiburon products as a large portion of their site.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't really understand all of this I guess, but sales websites, shouldn't be promoted here unless they are meeting the same standards as the rest of us.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
That is where the gray area is though and where members will never understand if we allow one link and dont allow another.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That's the point though.

Allowing links. A link is just that, a link. Promoting a website, that has nothing to do with this one, shouldn't be a bad thing, if it is not competition.

For those of you that didn't see, my sig was REMOVED because of complaints. Why? RDTiburon.com is NOT a competitor to this site. It doesn't sell anything, we currently do not charge our sponsors, and we refer members TO NEWTIBURON.com . But my sig was removed because of this rule #15. There's a fine line between doing what you need to to keep your site clean and free from freeloaders, and promoting the HYUNDAI community. It's more important to keep folks here working on their cars, than to try to run them off because the rules are too complex, or constantly changing.

Just my side.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I do agree that links to other community websites have ZERO to do with this rule. If people sell on those sites, its a problem for THOSE sites to deal with. But some kid with a 2000 tiburon looking for ideas and info on his car, should have the opportunity to at least find another avenue to get it. NT.com is great... for new tiburons. But for elantras, EXD is better, or for old tiburons, RDT is better, flat out.

I just dont want to see little companies who keep a low profile posting MAD sales here with zero advertising payments and huge sections in the for sale forum. We all know the difference between one member posting his exhaust for sale, and another posting 50 exhausts for sale at a lower price than I, or other members can sell at and make a buck. That's just dumb for business, because if we're paying to post those same sales here, and we're loosing business to members selling in quantity, then why pay to be here at all. THAT is something to worry about, not linking to other community sites.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I agree.

My opinion is this.

1. Links to sites within the Hyundai Community should be fine. As long as they meet these standards.
a. Aren't direct links to anti NT threads.
b. Aren't a Directly competing site (Crooked H is for all Hyundais and doesn't sell anything, so I wouldn't see them as a competitor.)
c. The site linked doesn't sell items (Other than promotional stuff like Tshirts, stickers, and the like.)

2. Links to ebay auctions or a group buy on another site should be fine if...
a. It's not someone trying to skirt by the rules of these forums.
b. It's an auction for a single item, and not 20 or 30 available.

How many group buy's do we not finish or go bad or long because folks don't know at the other forums?

Just a few ideas.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Another thought of advertising, what is the deal with Ads by google banner and being advertised more and having larger banner than sponsors on NT.com?
Just curious

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
yea fly and redz i def agree. redz, one clarification though, forums are kinda a touchy topic. i think links to non-tiburon forums are ok, but, links to other forums w/ tiburon content is not ok b/c.... well... just look at how much NT bashing they are doing. CH and NGM have threads created daily about how much they hate NT and how much they are better than NT. Not only does that affect NT's image and member number, but, it also affects your sales by causing less people to visit.

here is a good question for you, a site like www.fuelinjectorclinic.com. they sell a -6an fuel rail adapter that no other sponsor sells. i used it as a reference for an item i am currently trying to sell. what are your recommendations on that? i personally think that is ok b/c it is a link to a site that 1. doesnt affect sponsor sales 2. does not have a tiburon dedicated section

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
Another thought of advertising, what is the deal with Ads by google banner and being advertised more and having larger banner than sponsors on NT.com?
Just curious

hey, i am not ignoring u. richard will have to answer that. i think they are a set size by google.

·
Registered
750 Posts
yea fly and redz i def agree. redz, one clarification though, forums are kinda a touchy topic. i think links to non-tiburon forums are ok, but, links to other forums w/ tiburon content is not ok b/c.... well... just look at how much NT bashing they are doing. CH and NGM have threads created daily about how much they hate NT and how much they are better than NT. Not only does that affect NT's image and member number, but, it also affects your sales by causing less people to visit.
Oh, I agree with you my man, that's why I said direct links to Anti NT threads shouldn't be up.

We've got a similar issue over at RDTiburon.com . Some of our members that aren't happy with the way the site is run, or are mad because we won't let them be staff, have created hyundaituners.com . They post stuff about us now and then, and some still post on our site, but we allow the links to their main page, as it's a fellow Hyundai Community site and we need to keep us all tuning.

The amount of members we've lost to that site is miniscule, but it would be much more if we just nazified the forums and didn't let anyone talk about them at all. I've been around the forum scene and been workign with the admins if not admining one myself for over 7 years now, and the more strict you get, the more BS you have to deal with.

As for losing sales, it's not really going to happen. We advertise on the other sites as well, and everyone knows who we are and the quality of our service. I don't mind NT very much, I've been pretty active over here for the past year or so and see some good stuff, but at the same time, I see a rule system and some VERY heavy handed staff here. It's your guys job, and your site, so of course you'll run it how you want, but remember, every person you scare away from the scene, is 10 more that they would have brought into the scene at one time.

Often, over at RDT, I just suck it up, hold my tounge, and have to let things get by or act nicer than I want to, in order to keep the members around. NT has some great possiblities for it's future, but I think that a lot of the rules from when NT had it's own store, and when folks have gotten too rough on their members, are sticking around and causing a constant strain on the membership here.

In my opinion, I'd open a big thread in a public forum here, with a well designed poll (Or maybe one thread with a poll, per rule) and ask what folks think about the rule, how it could be changed or better managed (it's your site, but the members need to have what they want, or they won't stick around or support you, make it THEIR site). Just keep the BS to a minimum in there, and I think you can create and adjust the rules in such a manner that everyone is happy.

Do this, and your competition sites will wither and die, and you'll look better in everyone's eyes.

here is a good question for you, a site like www.fuelinjectorclinic.com. they sell a -6an fuel rail adapter that no other sponsor sells. i used it as a reference for an item i am currently trying to sell. what are your recommendations on that? i personally think that is ok b/c it is a link to a site that 1. doesnt affect sponsor sales 2. does not have a tiburon dedicated section
I see no issues with it. It's just a website selling some parts, nothing that competes with any of your sponsors at all. Even if they DID have a dedicated section for Hyundai or Tiburons, if it's something you can't get elsewhere, then let it be.

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
So what about threads like this?
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99975

Would that qualify as a thread that's not in voilation of Rule #15 because it was just some random member who found a ridiculous deal? (though it's probably a crap product that isn't really helping anyway)

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
So what about threads like this?
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99975

Would that qualify as a thread that's not in voilation of Rule #15 because it was just some random member who found a ridiculous deal? (though it's probably a crap product that isn't really helping anyway)
that is a tough call. me personally i would allow it b/c 1. it is a HUGE mega store 2. it is a one time type deal 3. it wasnt spammed like mad

but what it all comes down to is what makes the sponsors happy? if it upsets you guys.... well.... we are here to keep u happy and want to do what makes u happy.

my disclaimer..... i am just giving my two cents. the final thought comes down to richard. the rule was just edited and i dont think posted up yet, but, i think everyone will be happy with it..... i hope.

·
Slortchus Maximus Non-Adminus
7,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the rule so far:

This forum is not free advertising space. No non-sponsor or non-NewTiburon advertising. No posting of links to sites, businesses, or companies in direct competition or sell the same items as our NewTiburon Vendors and to sites that sell Tiburon items, this includes signatures and avatars. No posting of link to sites that are in direct competition with NewTiburon. The naming such sites in reference to a sale is also not allowed. The naming of such sites is not against the site rules, however the over posting of a sites or companies name will be considered spam. Members found violating this policy will be infracted.

All non-sponsor links will be in one thread managed by NewTiburon Staff. You may reference all links to this thread.

This "thread" I speak of will be a thread that will contain all non-sponsor links. This rule is easy to enforce but this thread that people can link to still allows the community to grow.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That actually doesn't sound so bad now.

Maybe you should remove any ambiguity by posting some examples of "competitive sites", both in sales and forums?

Sharkracing
Evofusion
Kspec
Ect...

Just an idea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts