Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I have an 03 Hyundai Tiburon GT 6MT. I'm have a CEL code that usually comes on and off, I checked it at Advance Auto Parts and it came up as oxygen sensor codes. I just cleared them out because they would come and go, but now the codes will not go away and I'm experiencing very slow acceleration. I have to rev around 3-4k from first to fourth gear just to get to 40mph and it takes a while because every time I'm in traffic theres always a huge space between my car and the one in front of me and the traffic is always accelerating way faster than me. I'm going to go to Advanced Auto Parts to have the CEL read again since this time the CEL light isn't going away. I think it might be a slipping clutch but I'm not sure how to diagnose that. I need help so I can diagnose this problem, I'm to read the CEL and take a picture of those codes and clear them and see if the acceleration is better, because my car might have been in limp mode. I also had a squeaking serpentine belt replaced it, and now the squeaking is back and usually when I first turn the car on the belt doesn't make any noise, usually after I shift into first gear the belt starts to make noise.

·
Administrator
8,951 Posts
OK, couple things.
Posting the actual code (vs. O2 sensor is bad) is MUCH better than a description.

Squeaking serpentine belt, could be the crank pulley is coming apart, quite a few descriptions on how to check this. Normally, this is on a cold startup, goes away once warm.

Clutch test, my usual is.......get a road where you can do about 3000RPM or more in a higher gear (third or above), uphill is better.
Stomp the gas, if the tach/engine revs but little to no change in speed, clutch is slipping.
The RPM's are important, you want to be within the meat of the torque band, gear is important (higher is better) since the gearing is not helping you, it will point out the torque weaklink, thus, the clutch......unless on crappy tires in the rain or on snow.

Find info, post, we can help from there. Right now, it's anybody's guess.......

·
Registered
2004 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0
199 Posts
I’m thinking because O2 sensor code and slow acceleration maybe clogged cat(s)? Also, I had a squealing belt that was because of a bad/rusted tensioner. That was on the 2.0 so idk what your belts are like. But very possible and easy fix - new tensioner. Take off the belt and see how well the tensioners spin. If they don’t spin well, then the squeak is coming from the belt rubbing on a stuck tensioner. More info would help too as Charlie said.

·
Administrator
8,951 Posts
I’m thinking because O2 sensor code and slow acceleration maybe clogged cat(s)?
Unless a ton of miles, sucking huge amounts of oil or poor (like 12MPG) mileage, clogged CAT's are off the table.
BTW, clogged CAT's also usually kill high RPM engine range since the exhaust can't get out.
You can only put air in that you can also get back out.

Just saying........>:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, couple things.
Posting the actual code (vs. O2 sensor is bad) is MUCH better than a description.

Squeaking serpentine belt, could be the crank pulley is coming apart, quite a few descriptions on how to check this. Normally, this is on a cold startup, goes away once warm.

Clutch test, my usual is.......get a road where you can do about 3000RPM or more in a higher gear (third or above), uphill is better.
Stomp the gas, if the tach/engine revs but little to no change in speed, clutch is slipping.
The RPM's are important, you want to be within the meat of the torque band, gear is important (higher is better) since the gearing is not helping you, it will point out the torque weaklink, thus, the clutch......unless on crappy tires in the rain or on snow.

Find info, post, we can help from there. Right now, it's anybody's guess.......
I was driving up the hill in third gear and it was decelerating as going up the hill. RPMS were 3-4k. I think its the clutch, I'm thinking about buying an OEM clutch from RockAuto and getting it replaced by a mechanic. How difficult of a job is it to change the clutch on this vehicle? I will follow up with the sensor codes by tomorrow evening. When I start the car I don't always hear the belt squeaking but it usually starts to squeak once the vehicle is in gear.

·
Administrator
8,951 Posts
I was driving up the hill in third gear and it was decelerating as going up the hill. RPMS were 3-4k. I think its the clutch, I'm thinking about buying an OEM clutch from RockAuto and getting it replaced by a mechanic. How difficult of a job is it to change the clutch on this vehicle? I will follow up with the sensor codes by tomorrow evening. When I start the car I don't always hear the belt squeaking but it usually starts to squeak once the vehicle is in gear.
If you're going up a hil with constant engine speed, but the car is slowing down, sounds like the clutch.
If going up a hil and the engine AND the speed drops off, could be engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speed of the engine is constant and it's not dropping. I got the codes and four of them came up P0171-Bank 1 System Too Lean, P0174 Bank 2 System Too Lean, P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction, and P1372 Segment Time Incorrect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The speed of the engine is constant and it's not dropping. I got the codes and four of them came up P0171-Bank 1 System Too Lean, P0174 Bank 2 System Too Lean, P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction, and P1372 Segment Time Incorrect.
I just did some research and it says that a bad Crankshaft sensor can cause slow acceleration.

·
Administrator
8,951 Posts
If you're going up a hill with constant engine speed, but the car is slowing down, sounds like the clutch.
If going up a hill and the engine AND the speed drops off, could be engine.
I just did some research and it says that a bad Crankshaft sensor can cause slow acceleration.
Sorta what I stated before.......if you replace a part and the same issue comes up, what else could be the issue? Chances of 2 bad sensors is low, especially in low miles.

Fix the original code, it may be skewing the other codes since the ECU has no clue on what is going on, it can only guess based on info it believes.
Start stupid and simple, work your way up.
Not uncommon to fix one issue and fix many CEL's..........
:nerd2:>:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorta what I stated before.......if you replace a part and the same issue comes up, what else could be the issue? Chances of 2 bad sensors is low, especially in low miles.

Fix the original code, it may be skewing the other codes since the ECU has no clue on what is going on, it can only guess based on info it believes.
Start stupid and simple, work your way up.
Not uncommon to fix one issue and fix many CEL's..........
:nerd2:>:D
To fix the original code, I should replace the CKPS sensor? If that doesn't get rid of the acceleration issue, then it must be the CPKS sensor or the clutch?

·
Administrator
8,951 Posts
To fix the original code, I should replace the CKPS sensor? If that doesn't get rid of the acceleration issue, then it must be the CPKS sensor or the clutch?
Dude.....really?
Did you really read previous posts?

Several things could give that code, chances of multiple sensors (unless stupid cheap stuff) is slim to none.
Wiring is next best thing.

Slipping clutch (test covered before.......) will not likely show a code.

Either pay attention and test yourself, or, pay a shop to "guess their way through it". Maybe they know and care, may be "cheap". Maybe they see a new swimming pool next summer and you are funding it.

Doing what you can, with guidance here, can help you keep costs low or fix yourself.

If you were close to me, I would help for about 1/2 what a shop charges and I sorta have a clue.>:D:nerd2:

At a minimum, post your basic geographic location (we don't need to know your town and street address) since location may have an influence on answers.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm surprised no one said anything about the crankshaft position sensor circuit malfunction or segment timing incorrect. those are the same codes I had when I tried to use the "OEM" Auto7 cps.

needless to say, segment timing incorrect is a big issue and would cause slow acceleration, when was the timing belt last done? it could be off a tooth...... fried CPS could also cause that code.

·
Administrator
8,951 Posts
I'm surprised no one said anything about the crankshaft position sensor circuit malfunction or segment timing incorrect. those are the same codes I had when I tried to use the "OEM" Auto7 cps.

needless to say, segment timing incorrect is a big issue and would cause slow acceleration, when was the timing belt last done? it could be off a tooth...... fried CPS could also cause that code.
While true.......I still am not sure if it isn't a slipping clutch. I am not solid on the description.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude.....really?
Did you really read previous posts?

Several things could give that code, chances of multiple sensors (unless stupid cheap stuff) is slim to none.
Wiring is next best thing.

Slipping clutch (test covered before.......) will not likely show a code.

Either pay attention and test yourself, or, pay a shop to "guess their way through it". Maybe they know and care, may be "cheap". Maybe they see a new swimming pool next summer and you are funding it.

Doing what you can, with guidance here, can help you keep costs low or fix yourself.

If you were close to me, I would help for about 1/2 what a shop charges and I sorta have a clue.>:D:nerd2:

At a minimum, post your basic geographic location (we don't need to know your town and street address) since location may have an influence on answers.
The oxygen sensor was replaced with the exhaust back to stock. So oxygens sensors are less than a year old maybe 5 months old now but I had the oxygen sensor codes come up before and they never gave me a problem. I just started having this acceleration problem about a few days ago. I have to rev the engine at least 4k to get a decent amount of acceleration and I'm not going to drive this car anymore cause when I do accelerate that high when coming to a stop constantly and having to rev high again to get some decent acceleration I smell something similar to a burning battery. At this point I think its either the CPS or the clutch. I'll probably buy the clutch and the flywheel before going to the mechanic in case if it is a bad clutch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Last owner said timing belt was done at 60k but he didn't have any papers or anything and seemed kinda shady but I was planning on replacing it at 100k car is at 98k miles now.

·
Administrator
8,951 Posts
The oxygen sensor was replaced with the exhaust back to stock. So oxygens sensors are less than a year old maybe 5 months old now but I had the oxygen sensor codes come up before and they never gave me a problem. I just started having this acceleration problem about a few days ago. I have to rev the engine at least 4k to get a decent amount of acceleration and I'm not going to drive this car anymore cause when I do accelerate that high when coming to a stop constantly and having to rev high again to get some decent acceleration I smell something similar to a burning battery. At this point I think its either the CPS or the clutch. I'll probably buy the clutch and the flywheel before going to the mechanic in case if it is a bad clutch.
Based on this description, I will bet you have a slipping clutch. The clutch is pretty much the same material as brake pads/shoes, they get really hot, they stink.
Sorta answers quite a few of your questions.

Maybe when they do the clutch, have them do the timing belt as well.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Red Flags with this statement.... "The oxygen sensor was replaced with the exhaust back to stock". Was the exhaust stock when you got it?

Check the condition of the crank sensor on front of the engine near where the block meets the transmission. They tend to get cooked by the front cat converter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone please send me in the right decision.....
I have a 04 tiburon gt v6 2.7L 6 speed...
1-No power at take off ...
2-rpms do not go up when i downshift
3-i can put car in 1st and hold brake down and let. Clutch out and the car just idles ( no jump just stays running)
4- just stared doing this on my way home from work
Help Help Help

·
Registered
Hyundai Coupe 2.0 2007
89 Posts
Firstly, you'd be much beter off starting a new topic than writting to a 2 year old one but mods will tell you that....

Second, seems to me that you've got slipping clutch and need to change it.
It is a serious work and possibly you need to visit the garage depending on how mechanically inclined you are, but if you were, you'd know it's a clutch problem so...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts