Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so I've got a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT and smoke started coming out of my exhaust. The smoke was white, and left a burning smell (of course). I just got the car, wasn't sure what gas was in the car prior but I put 87 octane. I'm not 100% sure it was the exhaust, but it looked like it was coming from there, by the time I got out and looked it was gone. Just wondering what it could possibly be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It didn't smell sweet. I drove the car for about and hour home and nothing happened, never did it on start up. I stalled once right before it (wasn't paying attention and took my foot off the clutch while it was still in gear and I was at a light). Then it started like 4 blocks down. So you think its nothing much to worry about? The best way to describe the amount that I saw is when you turn your car on in the winter and the amount of exhaust fumes you can see was about the amount I noticed.

O and I had just finished washing the car, I think some water had gotten in the exhaust and just cleaned off some of the dirt in side of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm doing a compression test today. lets see whats going on with it. The only thing confusing me is why would smoke only come out of one exhaust pipe you know?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I'm doing a compression test today. lets see whats going on with it. The only thing confusing me is why would smoke only come out of one exhaust pipe you know?
uh cause you have a dual exhaust from one pipe
so one exhaust tip will be shorter.
the one on the passenger side is the main
and the other is the split.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If it's white smoke, you're more likely to burn oil from your engine. Did your exhaust smell like you were burning oil?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
If it's white smoke, you're more likely to burn oil from your engine. Did your exhaust smell like you were burning oil?
thats bluish smoke, rio. white smoke is usually coolant, but it sounds like this guy just had some water vapor up there from washing it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Idk.. but one of my buddy's said--

White smoke is gas
Black smoke is oil

or something like that :eek:...

Correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
514 Posts
thats bluish smoke, rio. white smoke is usually coolant, but it sounds like this guy just had some water vapor up there from washing it.
This guy knows his stuff exactly what I said blow head gasket coolent mixed with oil makes white smoke but if he does the compression test it'll state if it is or isnt

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Idk.. but one of my buddy's said--

White smoke is gas
Black smoke is oil

or something like that :eek:...

Correct me if I'm wrong
White smoke= coolant/water in cylinder
Black smoke= excess fuel (happened on carburetors more then with Fuel injection)
Bluish Smoke= oil in cylinder

1 - 12 of 12 Posts