Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to smoke out my tails for a long time now, but I'm worried that I may get pulled over all the time. I'm wondering if anyone knows if they are illegal to have or if anyone has personally had problems with them. I always thought that the law was as long as you can clearly see the light coming out than it was ok. Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I know this is London England now! but the law here is! you can have them as dark as you wish (As long as you have reflectors on the bumper) and no reflectors you can go 60% darkness or long as light is coming thru ok

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
i know thats flordias law, but everystate is different

QUOTE=HaHaHeHeLoLz]Isn't it the law that you have to be able to see the brake lights like 1000 feet away or something?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Depends where you are at in NJ. Personal Experience is that Northern Jersey Cops tend to be a little more "Hardcore" then Southern Jersey cops are more laid back(most of them). I live in south Jersey and I got dark tint, a loud car (only 1 cat), no amber reflectors in the front, and soon to be more. Try it and if you get a ticket I'm sure someone on here will trade you stock for smoked tails.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well I live in Central Jersey and have the clear tails w/ titan bulbs. I also have blue blinkers and never got pulled over *knock on wood*. I dont think cops would care.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
smoked and modified lights are illegal everywhere and it doesnt matter what you did to them because ANY modification makes them illegal. unless you bought an aftermarket light that has been DOT approved, they are illegal. now, as for tolerance, that's an entirely different story. will cops TOLERATE your smoked tails? i don't know, but have you seen any recently? you're better off asking locals. some places won't even pass your car for inspection, other places don't pay much attention. unless there are some local people on the boards that can answer you, the best anyone can say is "maybe". better yet, call the cops and ask them.

·
Banned
434 Posts
bcware said:
better yet, call the cops and ask them.

worst suggestion ever.

the cops will and have to always tell you they will site you for something you do illegal. if they tell you otherwise they are liable and its a whole big can of worms. Not to mention you have just imformed the cops you are about to do something you know to be illegal.

to the OP, as bcware says modified lights are illegal, period. tinting your lights will not make them any more illegal than they are now. If i were you i would put the amber bulbs back in or get red ones and tint them out. Looks so much better than chrome housings.

and i dont get the colored ricer turn signals thing either, someone care to explain that to me?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
antiquity said:
worst suggestion ever.

the cops will and have to always tell you they will site you for something you do illegal. if they tell you otherwise they are liable and its a whole big can of worms. Not to mention you have just imformed the cops you are about to do something you know to be illegal.
you can't be arrested or ticketed or punished in any way for asking if tinting your lights is illegal. the point is that you DON'T know if it's illegal and hence why you are asking. i promise if you call their normal business hour number and ask they will give you a clear and definitive answer. they are more than happy to answer questions like these, don't be scared.

·
Registered
425 Posts
04shark04 said:
I've been wanting to smoke out my tails for a long time now, but I'm worried that I may get pulled over all the time. I'm wondering if anyone knows if they are illegal to have or if anyone has personally had problems with them. I always thought that the law was as long as you can clearly see the light coming out than it was ok. Any feedback would be great.
Were in Jersey are you? Well there's a guy who owns a red 04 V6 who lives a block away from me, with smoked tails and tells me he's never had any problems.

Daniel

·
Banned
434 Posts
bcware said:
you can't be arrested or ticketed or punished in any way for asking if tinting your lights is illegal. the point is that you DON'T know if it's illegal and hence why you are asking. i promise if you call their normal business hour number and ask they will give you a clear and definitive answer. they are more than happy to answer questions like these, don't be scared.

im not saying they are going to arrest or ticket you for asking, but why would you let them know you were thinking of doing something illegal so that they can look out for you? You said it and i agreed with it already, tinting or clearing them or putting multi colored turn signals in is in fact illegal. We know that already. I wouldnt go to any officer and ask him if they would give me any problems for something i knew to be illegal. He HAS to say that he will ahve to do his job.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
antiquity said:
im not saying they are going to arrest or ticket you for asking, but why would you let them know you were thinking of doing something illegal so that they can look out for you? You said it and i agreed with it already, tinting or clearing them or putting multi colored turn signals in is in fact illegal. We know that already. I wouldnt go to any officer and ask him if they would give me any problems for something i knew to be illegal. He HAS to say that he will ahve to do his job.
i'll try, but bear with me.
we don't know with any amount of certainty whether it is illegal.

what you're thinking, and i'm not sure why, is that we know it's illegal to tint the tails and, while we twist our sinister mustache, we'll call up the police and ask them if it is illegal to do so. regardless of their response, that is, if it happens to be "yes, tinting is illegal!" we'll in turn say "screw you coppers i'm doing it anyway!" and as a result the police will stake out the downtown area and wait for us.

this is wrong.

we DON'T know if it's illegal. this is why the thread was created. because we DO NOT know. we call the police to ask if it is illegal and they say "yes" or "no". you are calling BEFORE you do something illegal so that you don't get yourself into trouble. there is nothing morally wrong with tinting tail lights and car appearance laws vary a great deal. perhaps you've had a lot of bad experiences with police? i'll never know. you seem to assume that the police will come after you if you ask them whether something is illegal or not. you seem to be missing the point that you haven't done anything yet when you ask.

·
Banned
434 Posts
bcware said:
i'll try, but bear with me.
we don't know with any amount of certainty whether it is illegal. what you're thinking, and i'm not sure why, is that we know it's illegal to tint the tails
did you forget you said this??

bcware said:
smoked and modified lights are illegal everywhere and it doesnt matter what you did to them because ANY modification makes them illegal. .
I was simply agreeing with this statement. Yes modifying the tail lights IS illegal. It is, there is no way around that.

On top of that he has his lenses cleared and green bulbs in them. They are now illegal. Tinting them is not going to make them any more or less illegal.

bcware said:
and, while we twist our sinister mustache, we'll call up the police and ask them if it is illegal to do so. regardless of their response, that is, if it happens to be "yes, tinting is illegal!" we'll in turn say "screw you coppers i'm doing it anyway!" and as a result the police will stake out the downtown area and wait for us.

this is wrong.

we DON'T know if it's illegal. this is why the thread was created. because we DO NOT know. we call the police to ask if it is illegal and they say "yes" or "no". you are calling BEFORE you do something illegal so that you don't get yourself into trouble. there is nothing morally wrong with tinting tail lights and car appearance laws vary a great deal. perhaps you've had a lot of bad experiences with police? i'll never know. you seem to assume that the police will come after you if you ask them whether something is illegal or not. you seem to be missing the point that you haven't done anything yet when you ask.

My past experiences with the cops has nothing to do with this. I didnt say they were going to come hunt you down. I understand that at the time of asking nothing has been done. I still wouldnt clue in the authorities as to what my plans were to do. If something is illegal, which you already said it was, they will tell you "that is illegal and i will have to follow the laws if i see you with it". And regardless if you call the regular line or not they know who is calling. Since we already have established that it is, in fact, an illegal modification - to which you were the first one to bring up this point.

It really sounds like you are the one that doesnt get it and then you dont even remember what it is you said.

·
Registered
981 Posts
now that i got my taillights niteshaded, i try to find cops so i can drive in front of them and see what happens lol

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i was speculating, but if you want to consider me the authority on the subject that's cool. a local state law could provide leniency or it might be grey and un-enforced.

·
Registered
898 Posts
i've seen plenty of smoked tails in jersey. and once u start mentioning rx300/rx330 stock taillights the pigs shut up

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
are those smoked? i thought they were altezza style.
these are not smoked, the chrome itself is dark.

the is300 has the exact same thing, and even most new acuras. its not bright chrome, its dark chrome but the lens is clear.

·
Registered
898 Posts
yea isnt that all clear lense illegal? i mean u put aftermarket ones of the same style on a tib or integra or whatever and they give u sh!t.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts