Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have DC sport headers and they are right now literally hanging off my engine. It seems that all of the bolts/studs have come loose (piece of **** OEM bolts) and one of the bolts completely fell out.

I want to pick up 8 new bolts... but does anyone know the size of the oem bolts?

Also worse case scenario i may need to weld the headers on, if this is the case what are the downsides to it?

Also i'm just about F/I got a s/c in my room. Are there any mods that require removing or loosening the headers?

Anyone else have the same problem?

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
for starters.... u would be asking someone to weld aluminum to stainless..... aint gonna happen

i do not know what the sizes are... but... go w/ ARP bolts when you get a chance. my guess is they are 14mm x 40 but i have never held or even seen one so dont quote me.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
by bolts u mean the studs correct? u can just screw them back in and if u actually broke them.. how?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
by bolts u mean the studs correct? u can just screw them back in and if u actually broke them.. how?

right; they aren’t bolts they are studs you can screw them back in also the only place you are going to get them is the dealer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
weld the header on head?
wow seriously?

·
Registered
387 Posts
agreed. your only possibility would be TIG welding (which be expensive, as it is the most intricate weld) and i guarantee no one will be able to weld the headers to aluminum. I do guarantee u that some shop will try tho, and be unsuccessful, and probably still charge you. We have one TIG machine at our shop, all the rest are MIG and stick welders and if you ask 9 out of 10 guys there, they consider aluminum unweldable, (of course its not completely, but to a certain extent because theres not much you can do with it.)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info guys.. so welding is definitely out. Yes i am talking about the studs. They are all rusted and they've come loose from the block. (i am only talking about the front header)

I was able to tighten 2 of the bolts but the rest can't be move because if i force them they'll break off or destroy the thread.

It's weird i guess because of all the constant vibrations the engine see's all day long loosen them up.

What are ARP bolts?

Also when i say i broke one off i'm saying that while tightening the bolt on the stud it twisted the stud head right off... cheap *** metal.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
you only managed to succesfully tighten 2 bolts?

wow, you've got a serious problem there...

wierd, i've got an 03 with like 60k miles at the time i installed it and had no problems except for the bolts being TOUGH AS HELL to break loose in the first place....

·
Resident Mechanical Engineer
1,848 Posts
PB Blaster. WD-40. They are your friends. If your engine can't be mistaken for a slip-n-slide by the time you're done the header install, you have probably failed.

If they're honestly that rusted and that horrible, go to the dealership and order brand new ones. Can't go wrong with that.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Any attempt to weld the headers onto the block will not only fail, but it will also damage the heads & headers. Any shop with any brains will not try it. Aluminum can not be welded to stainless. If you broke any studs they should be removed by drilling and an extractor (easy-out). Studs are different than straight bolts. Get them from the dealer. when you reinstall, make sure to use anti-seize grease.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah when the install was done the car has 55k miles and those bolts were glued on.

I'm gonna pick up some new studs but i don't want to go OEM looking for some stainless steel studs. Anyone know where i can pick some up? Also can anyone confirm their size?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
WD-40!!!! i used tons of that crap, spray on and wait a little while

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
ARP ..... automotive racing products

they are the industry leader in performance bolts.... and very nice to deal with.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The studs that are in there are the proper material and hardness for that application. Dissimilar metals can cause accelerated corrsion, and bonding issues. A stainless bolt may not be your best option as the oem header studs are a specific hardness. Additionally different types of metals expand and contrac t differently. I would replace them with the oem studs. In some places, a little heat from even a propane torch from a housewares store and penetrating oil is sufficient. I found the easiest way to get the penetrating oil where it needs to go is to get the car up to operating temp, and then apply the penetrating oil on the studs (it will smoke). With the manifold heated, the oil can more readily get between the stud and threads. The downside is, you have to wait for everything to cool down before working on it. Welding the headers on, no way.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the info guys...
No one knows the size of the studs?

·
Registered
486 Posts
get the OEM ones at the dealer... they're a specific hardness for a purpose/reason. Nobody gets aftermarket studs for the headers so the size is unknown.
good luck

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,456 Posts
This seems to be very dangerous. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
sorry to bring back an old thread but did anyone ever find out the thread size for the studs?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
take either a stock stud or a stock nut into autozone
walk over to the "help section"
grab the box labeled "import exhaust"
check thread
put headers back on
go smoke a ricer

that'll be 35 dollars :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
take either a stock stud or a stock nut into autozone
walk over to the "help section"
grab the box labeled "import exhaust"
check thread
put headers back on
go smoke a ricer

that'll be 35 dollars :)
lol. not quite the answer i was looking for. unfortunately my car is the daily driver and i dont have a ride at this moment. its sitting jacked up in the drive way

1 - 20 of 21 Posts