Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this could go here and if not mods pleave move

I see NGM's sell going on and i want to get the Sniper. I tell my gf about it and she goes crazy saying I am dumb for spending money on something like that and its dangerous. Her argument is i need to save money, pay off the car and the S/c would be dangerous for me to have. She basically says she will leave over the S/c but now says she just will be really mad about it for while.

My argument is i have saved most of money sense i started working so i have money saved. I have a little over $14k sitting in a C.D. that is gaining 6.8% intrest right now as we speak. That is plenty to pay for school when i start back in august and through HomeDepot i get 1/2 tuition reinmbursement if i pass the class's (not A but just pass). I have been paying way ahead on the car. I have had this car for a yr and 5 months and only owe $8,500 on it and i bought it brand new.

Ok just for a little history; we have dated about a yr and 4 months (little shorter time than owning the car) we dont live together, im 20 and she is 19, our money and all finacial stuff is sperate so me spending this money wont affect her.

Advice, opinions anything?

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
I think if it's your money, you can do whatever the **** you want to with it. However, I can kinda see where she is coming from. Just get your priorities straight, and ask yourself do you really need the sniper now? I would love to have a S/C, but its just not practical for me right now. There is always time.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Buy it! Most women dont understand us men need ours toys

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
OK, you are making 6.8% interest on your money sitting in a CD? What is your interest rate on your car (being that you seem to be young, I would assume it's higher than that).

If the money is touchable (aka you can pull it out of the CD) why would you not use it to pay off your car. If you have 14k sitting in the bank making 6.8%, but you owe $8500 with an 8% interest rate, you are paying more in interest than you are making on the money.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Just buy the SC. In 4 or 5 years you will be settling down and having kids, and it will be much harder to do such things.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Unless you're married, engaged, or shopping for a ring, your money is not her concern. If you're feeling confident about your finacial situation, then get the sniper. Being a human male, it's kind of a given that you want FI isn't it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd pay off the car first.. I am kinda in your boat.. I have about 15 in the bank that i was sitting on while i decided what mods I wanted to do.. My job covered over half my car payment, but as of yesterday, I got laid off.. I'm glad i didn't spend that money on mods now.. I live with my girlfriend, and we have enough to cover the bills for 6 months.. I get unemployment, but with me out of work, we're losing about 4,000 a month coming in the door.
I'm going to be taking that 14,000 and paying down my loan so it is one less thing to worry about. I was a District Manager for a company that deals with home depot as one of our major contracts, and due to Depot making alot less then they did last year, that meant we made a lot less. Many of my co-workers lost their jobs as well even though our company kept all their departments, and picked up a new one.. Really blows especially losing my job during the holiday season.

I would pay off the tib.. You can always save up the money for the s/c down the road, and you wont have to worry about oweing the bank anything.

·
Resident Mechanical Engineer
1,848 Posts
Next time she buys a Coach purse, call her out on the exact same thing. She'll start a fight over it, and chances are, if you draw a reasonable comparison to the S/C, she'll begin to understand.

All women love to accessorize themselves. Us men love working on our cars. When these two facts are unobstructed, a relationship works beautifully.

By the way, if she's willing to end your relationship over a supercharger, you have to question whether she was really worth it in the first place.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I say... get rid of her and buy your SC... then you spent money and saved money at the same time... making it an even better investment

:3_nosthum

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
bagpiper said:
If i had to make a choice between 2 blowers, I'd choose the sc.
BWWAAAHAAHAAAHAAA!!! That, my friend, is sig-worthy!

05Tib, having been married to a woman like your girlfriend, I can tell you that a decision like this will define your relationship. In one sense I agree with her, your priority should be paying for school... THEN get the S/C. But on the other hand it is YOUR money, if you find you don't have enough for school then you're up sh*t's creek without a paddle. Now, if that's the case, and you don't have enough money, is she going to bail you out? Unlikely. So it is YOUR money, do whatever the hell you want to with it.

As far as this defining your relationship, she has thrown down the gauntlet and, in a sense, forbidden you from getting a Sniper. That is NOT a good precendent to let stand, believe me. You don't want to spend the rest of your relationship with her (whether married or not) being told what you can and cannot do. Now, if she'd taken a different approach and talked to you like an adult and told you she didn't think it was a good idea and explained her reasoning to you (not including the imaginary "danger" factor, which is laughable) but in the end she said that it's your decision, I'd probably say "marry that girl" and hold of on the S/C.

But, I say get the S/C... if you find you need the money later you can always sell it... people will snap it up quick on here.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
i say pay off the car, then save money by doing liability on the car and with the left over 5.5k get the assassin. then struggle with school. but at lease ull have a 12-13 sec tib

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
technically it is your money, but financially I don't see any issue with it especially since you have other funds as a backu for emergencies and stuff. But when her time comes around and she spends $2K on
something you may consider just as dumb like makeup then you better keep quiet.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you all for your replies. I guess i forgot to include the money in the bank is set aside for just school right now. I make enough money pay all my bills in 1 paycheck ( i get 2 a month) and i could buy the Sniper on a credit card and pay it off in 3 months tops. I do see her point, it is alot of money but i dont buy much for myself. I dont buy clothes much, i dont buy Cd's or ipods. I dont even own a digital camera! The parts i have on the tib most were used and ALL are completely paid for.

In GA we also get whats called Hope Scholarship. although im not banking money wise on it, ill probably end up getting the HOPE back after a yr of school and between HOPE and 1/2 class reimbursement through HomeDepot i will be able to pay for school. I will only need the CD to pay the first yr and that will be at a community college, most likely Perimeter. As far as the loan on the car, i know the rate is under 6% because my mother co-signed with me and her credit is spotless.

·
Registered
735 Posts
05Tib said:
thank you all for your replies. I guess i forgot to include the money in the bank is set aside for just school right now. I make enough money pay all my bills in 1 paycheck ( i get 2 a month) and i could buy the Sniper on a credit card and pay it off in 3 months tops. I do see her point, it is alot of money but i dont buy much for myself. I dont buy clothes much, i dont buy Cd's or ipods. I dont even own a digital camera! The parts i have on the tib most were used and ALL are completely paid for.

In GA we also get whats called Hope Scholarship. although im not banking money wise on it, ill probably end up getting the HOPE back after a yr of school and between HOPE and 1/2 class reimbursement through HomeDepot i will be able to pay for school. I will only need the CD to pay the first yr and that will be at a community college, most likely Perimeter. As far as the loan on the car, i know the rate is under 6% because my mother co-signed with me and her credit is spotless.
If you were married, lived together, shared expenses, had a kid. I could see it... but after a year and 4 months of dating... tell her to give her head a shake man. A year and 4 months... you don't even know each other yet! Do what you want to do with your money. YOU worked for it, YOU earned it, YOU spend it on whatever YOU want. 4 months from now you could be kicking yourself in the a$$ because she left you anyways. (Not saying she will.) She has no business telling you what to do with your cash.

If she is doing that now and you are taking it... just wait until you DO get married and see how far that goes. She is training you... I think YOU should show HER what time it is.

When was the last time you told her not to purchase that retardedly expensive sequined purse that was as ugly as sin and she bought it anyways?

On the other hand if she did want that ugly purse and you told her not to buy it and would break up with her if she did and she didn't buy it, well, you're on your own on this one.

I say, buy the SC.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
never had i told her not to buy something. she almost drives her self broke due to paying dues and such for a sorority. I have stood behind her 100% even though i believe her time could be better spent and rewarded somewhere else, but never the less its what she wants, its her "hobby" and its her money so i let her do with what she pleases. A few times when things for her got tight i have offered to loan money. I dont think im in the wrong here. I am buying something with my money for my car. I will not make her do without the things we enjoy together because i am paying for the S/c.

Trust me if we were married this would be totally diffrent and if we had kids i wouldnt even consider it because i would put that money in saving for retirement or kids college fund. I am pretty good with my money, i dont buy lots of stuff, hell i take my lunch to work almost everyday so i dont spend money out eatting all the time. I am going to sit and talk with her tonight on this. See if i can show her that this is ok and w/e "dangerous" power the S/c makes is all controlled by me

1 - 20 of 104 Posts