Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me why the driver side front and back speakers have stopped working? I checked the fuses and they're all good. I guess its a short, maybe there's a common problem?

·
I
1,319 Posts
Could anyone tell me why the driver side front and back speakers have stopped working? I checked the fuses and they're all good. I guess its a short, maybe there's a common problem?
Sounds like an amp problem... do you have a sunroof?

·
I
1,319 Posts
Yes i do have a sunroof.
I've heard of something to do with the sunroof leaking, and causing the factory amp to mess up. And like I said before, it definitely sounds like an amp problem. I've been in the mobile audio scene for a long time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know jack about audio so any help is good. So I'm guessing the amp is located in the roof of the car?

·
I
1,319 Posts
I don't know jack about audio so any help is good. So I'm guessing the amp is located in the roof of the car?
Actually, It's located under the driver's side rear speaker. Lol I know what you're thinking. And it isn't actually the sun roof that leaks. It's some part of the sunroof mechanism that's back in that direction.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha gotchya. Well it makes since cause it rained a little this past week. Even though it stopped working today it may have gotten wet sometime recently and just decided to mess up today. Any way to fix it or is a new amp something i should be thinking bout?

·
I
1,319 Posts
I've heard it fixes itself over time. There's no way to tell how long though, so you might want to consider it. Are the speakers factory or aftermarket, and what about the CD player?

·
I
1,319 Posts
Oh boy... this could get really expensive really quick. I'm not 100% sure, but to get an aftermarket amp for your components, you'd have to replace the cd player as well. Plus speakers. Again, I'm not 100% sure on all of this, but I've messed with factory amps before, and they aren't a lot of fun. None at all, actually.

·
Registered
127 Posts
do you have the factory sub in the trunk. if not you dont have a factory amp. if you do have the amp you will need a new radio and to bypass the factory amp. most shop charge around $100 to bypass the amp and some shop still will install a radio for free you just have to buy the dash kit and harness. so your looking at $240 at the cheapest.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My passenger side messed up for a night when it rained real bad... try cleaning out the sunroof channels... I am going to do it tomorrow and if all goes well i can shoot a few pics and post them. I think it is pretty much just putting the moonroof up, locating the holes and blowing pressurized air through the lines... Sometimes those lines will get backed up and water will run down the back near the window, the speakers, and the amp...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What if I go to a junk yard and get a stock amp? Yea get some pics up of what you're talking bout 757!! And I have the stock sub in the back yes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So the pics didn't really come out well at all cuz the angle and lighting. But, if you have an air compressor, a blow gun attachment for it and some vacuum line, you can get to the drains pretty easily...

There is a hole in each corner of the sunroof channel, the hole is about 3/8 of an inch wide, so you want vacuum tubing that is a little smaller so that you can get to holes easier and it'll snug in there. Once you clean any accessible debris out from the channel you can fish the tubing to the opening or into the drain hole, stick the other end on the blow gun and just blast anything out of all 4 drains.

Once you finish, I would recommend putting a light film of Vaseline around your sunroof seal to recondition it and cut down on leakage into the channels.

Hopefully this helps some

·
Registered
72 Posts
I fixed my intermittent speaker problem.... It was due to water leaking from the hatch seal and making its way to the amp.

I used vaseline on the seal and made a "canopy" to put over my amp in case any water still gets to it. Cuz the vent for the amp faces upward and water would drip into it and short different speakers. Now, no leaking and safe operation. You just can't clog the vents, it needs an air passage to vent.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I know a lot of people say that it has come back form them. It's been over a week and the speakers still don't work. Anyone ever get an amp from a wrecked tibby?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts