Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today was the absolute perfect day to chill in my garage and try and install my tien s-tech springs that i was able to snag for $100. i was mega excited up until i took my wheel off.

heres the problem that im running into:

the bottom two bolts that keep the strut connected to the control arm, i think, only one of them came off, the other one its seized on there. ive tried everything short of trying a handheld propane torch (huge breaker bar and an air gun up to 130psi), and the damn bolt does not wanna come back off. not to mention, the top of the strut is completely out of alignment, and now i cant even reassemble it if i wanted to. the car is currently sitting in my garage lifeless.

mind you, i started this at 11am. advanced auto gave me the wrong compressor, then i find they dont even have the outside mount type, so i had to drive an hour out of my way to get the right type, and now its so out of whack, the nut is literally rounded off. ive used almost an entire can of PB Blaster and still nothing.

any suggestions that anyone might have to get this bolt off? mind you, the spring is cocked in a way that i CANNOT get the compressors out. this bolt is the only one left that needs to come off in order for me to move the strut out of the way so i can get the spring out. please, anything would be awesome. thanks.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Try using the propane torch and heating it up cherry red and then try to loosen it with vice grips, if this doesn't work heat it up again cherry red and then throw a bucket of water at it.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try using the propane torch and heating it up cherry red and then try to loosen it with vice grips, if this doesn't work heat it up again cherry red and then throw a bucket of water at it.
where can i find one of these torches at? i was thinking home depot, but i dont know if they have the small one hot enough to even do anything. and about how much would it run me?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
From what I've read a MAP gas torch will work better as it is hotter than Propane, it is also more expensive than a Propane torch. If I remember right you can get a propane torch for about 25 bucks at Lowes or Home Depot, maybe a little more. A MAP torch will be about 35 or so dollars.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
where can i find one of these torches at? i was thinking home depot, but i dont know if they have the small one hot enough to even do anything. and about how much would it run me?
probably any local hardware store. I have one at my hardware store for about 25-30 bucks and it will get the job done.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I've read a MAP gas torch will work better as it is hotter than Propane, it is also more expensive than a Propane torch. If I remember right you can get a propane torch for about 25 bucks at Lowes or Home Depot, maybe a little more. A MAP torch will be about 35 or so dollars.
thats not too bad then. would i be able to find the MAP gas torch at a home depot or Lowes or something?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
try some wd-40 then use the air gun before you try heating it up
ive tried the first two of what youve suggested. i threw a mix of wd-40 and pb blaster with the air gun to try and get it off, but seriously, it would budge one damn bit. when i tried the breaker bar, it seriously just started going around the nut. its a fcukin joke dude.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I helped a member on here do his springs and I'll tell you everyone of those damn nut/bolts were frozen tight (it was an east coast car). We had to use a four foot pipe as a breaker bar and if a dealership had been open we would have bought all new nuts and bolts.
Do yourself a favor and get all new nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I helped a member on here do his springs and I'll tell you everyone of those damn nut/bolts were frozen tight (it was an east coast car). We had to use a four foot pipe as a breaker bar and if a dealership had been open we would have bought all new nuts and bolts.
Do yourself a favor and get all new nuts and bolts.
thats what im going to end up doing. its being a huge pain to try and get this done. and the breaker bar only seemed to make things work.

oh, and heres what im trying to work with right now:

yes, some of the spring was spun downwards towards the bottom of the strut, i did this so that the spring would be pressing against the body. the problem that im having is that the top of the strut is too high and wont slip into the wheel well.

i was able to get the bottom bolt and nut off no problem, the breaker bar worked just fine, but the top one makes me feel like im SOL.

any more ideas people?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I took the entire strut out before even attempting dealing with the spring. Maybe you'll have to cut it off with.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took the entire strut out before even attempting dealing with the spring. Maybe you'll have to cut it off with.
i was thinking about trying to cut off the spring, but even if i do that, how would i get the strut out to put the new strut on?

·
Registered
514 Posts
FCUK ALEX i told u to call me when u were going 2 do them bro use a dremil lightly making a cut then get vise grips and pry it open u have to replace the nut anyway

1 - 20 of 121 Posts