1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I got right now:

Xplod 6.5's Front
Stock tweets and rears
12" Orion dual voice coil sub running off a 250w Alpine 2 channel amp, sealed big-ash box

Kenwood MP732 http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=46&k3=172&pr=2361

The tweets are starting to crackle at high volume so I need new ones, and overall I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade the rest of my stuff (minus the amp). Should I get another amp to run the door speakers, how good are Xplods in general, what's better, etc. I've heard changing the tweeters can be a PITA.. How much so?

Thanks you guys. Gotta have beats when you drive.

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
Xplods are not the best of quality, but decent for the price. I have an amp for my front components and rear speakers, and one for my sub. I wouldnt rely on the stock amp.

Diamond Audio makes very good stuff. Focal is the best, but the most expensive. Alpine makes good decently priced components. I have Rockford Fosgate components and I love them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Which amp do you have specifically. It sounds like it might be a good idea to move that amp to the front speakers and get a new sub amp.

For front components, it all comes down to how much you want to spend. If you want to spend $150 or less, I would suggest you take a trip to Best Buy, Curcuit City or Fry's and check out their wall. Personally, I have never been impressed with the Sony Explode. I would look at Alpine, Polk, Kicker or Rockford Fosgate. Bring your favorite CD and give them a try. If you want to spend the big money, your going to have to go to a mobile audio shop and you could spend anywhere from $100 for a low line Alpine to $1500 for some Focals depending on what you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to enter any audio competitions (obviously lol) but I'm willing to spend about 200-300 for some decent upgrades. RedTibby, how big is your front amp and where did you mount it? I'm thinking my alpine is too big to put anywhere but the trunk (sits next to the amp, mounted with velcro). I'm not sure of the make, I'll check it out when I get to my car after work.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i got all alpine type-s speakers for a good price.. and they sound good... 3 ways in the back and 2 ways in the front... wasnt real expensive...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
YES! It would be very worth it to upgrade. Xplod is terrible, by the way. I would probably rather stick with the factory speakers than put that stuff in. Get new speakers. Rear ones too. The factory 6x9s blow. When you get some more money together I'd probably move that amp to the front channel and get a mono channel amp and a new sub too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Xplods are not the best of quality, but decent for the price. I have an amp for my front components and rear speakers, and one for my sub. I wouldnt rely on the stock amp.

Diamond Audio makes very good stuff. Focal is the best, but the most expensive. Alpine makes good decently priced components. I have Rockford Fosgate components and I love them.

I agree with ------^

·
Registered
282 Posts

I agree with ------^

i loved my focals.. great sound but then a friend was messing with my tuning and it ended up blowing. so now i am running with Alpine that best buy sells. The fronts costed me about $260

My front focal were $1100.00 but i paid $700.00 (cost)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Focal's are great speakers but not everyone wants to spend the money of them. Go check a few different brands out at the big box stores and the small custom shops and see what you like. You might not be able to even tell the difference between a $100 set of speakers and a $1000 set of speakers, so just go with what sound good to you and is in your price range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts