Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to get a clutchmasters setup but I'm intrigued by South Bend Clutch. I want to get they're OFE series with Fidenza flywheel. They have the means to use Cryogenics on they're clutches and flywheels. Heres the links on they're clutches and Cryogenics ("Cryostrength"). What do you guys think? Any body ever used their products? They are cheaper than clutchmasters.

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/home.html
"OFE Kit:
SS Stage 4

The OFE SS kit combines the newest technology in linings: A Feramic full face lining on the flywheel side and a "Medium Metal" content Organic lining on the pressure plate side. This combination runs cooler and significantly extends clutch life. The OFE SS series clutch not only engages very smooth, it has the torque capacity of other Stage 5 clutch kits.
DSCF1448.JPG (81631 bytes)
These are the front and back facing on the OFE series. Feramic against the flywheel for superior holding power and organic "Medium Metal" content lining engaging on the pressure plate side for an ultra smooth feel."

"CRYOSTRENGTH"
http://www.cryostrength.com/cryoclutch.html

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
I just ordered a OFE series and it will be here and in my car by Monday. I don't think i would pay extra for the cryogenic treatment, but if it comes with the cluth, that cool, I didn't know that.

I know some nascar teams tested out normal brakes vs. cryo treated brakes, and after a series of laps, both rotors had the same molecular structure. Meaning that after a few times of being heated and cooled, there is no difference between cryo and non-cryo treated brakes. Now brakes get pretty damn hot, but I think you would probabbly be surpised how hot clutches get as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
ive been running southbend clutch's in my turbo mazda's for years, and there the #1 choice in cluthc's on the forums for the mazda's. they have a great rep, and i havent had any issues with them.

i even installed there DXD in my tiburon after my 3 SPEC clutch failures, and even though SPEC offered me yet another free clutch, i didnt feel like having a 4th failure cause there ****** build quality, so i just bought the SOUTHBEND dxd. the DXD has been installed for almost two years now, and havent had one problem.

id highly recommend there clutch's.

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
I'd never even heard of cryogenic treatment before... is it really beneficial, or is it just "snake oil?"
Basically what they do is take a part and subject it to VERY cold temperatures. They basically take the part and use liquid gasses to gradually cool them over an extended amount of time. What this does is align the molecules within the metals which makes the metal harder, stronger, and less susceptible to wearing as quick. It's not snake oil, it actually does work, the problem comes when you use this to treat parts that are going to endure extreme heats.

When you start subjecting parts to extreme heats, it will actually change the molecular composition much like cryo treating would. So basically high heat does the same thing as extreme colds. This is one reason some racers prefer "seasoned" engine blocks or their buildups, because they have been used before, and when they bore and machine them, there is less chance they will continue to change.

And when I say that cryo and high-heat do the same thing, thats not necessarily true. They do both change the structure, but not in the exact same way. And like I said, some nascar teams have done fairly controlled tests on brakes. They found that the cryo and non-cryo parts were different at the molecular level before the test, but after the tests there was no difference in wear, and both parts them have the same molecular structure.

So take it for what you want i guess. I wouldn't pay extra to have some parts (like brakes, connecting rods, pistons, etc.) cryo coated because they get so hot. A clutch might be worth it, but again, I'm not sure how hot a clutch gets. I know its not completely cool judging by the blue heat spots on the flywheel.

·
Former Staff
5,452 Posts
ive been running southbend clutch's in my turbo mazda's for years, and there the #1 choice in cluthc's on the forums for the mazda's. they have a great rep, and i havent had any issues with them.

i even installed there DXD in my tiburon after my 3 SPEC clutch failures, and even though SPEC offered me yet another free clutch, i didnt feel like having a 4th failure cause there ****** build quality, so i just bought the SOUTHBEND dxd. the DXD has been installed for almost two years now, and havent had one problem.

id highly recommend there clutch's.
Wow... good recommendation. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
945 Posts
anyone else running them? I'm looking at clutchmasters, but these cost less and seem to hold more power

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm glad I brought this up, I think I might try them out. I don't know about the Cryogenics thing though. Depends on how much extra it will cost for them to cool the clutch and flywheel to minus 300! Thanks for the input guys. If anybody else has any experience with them please post!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I thought someone was using this treatment on their pistons and running higher boost levels and power? Maybe that was the lt1 forums. But they did it, and significantly increased horsepower levels.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OFE Kit:
HD Stage 3

The OFE kit combines the newest technology in linings: A Feramic full face lining on the flywheel side and a "Medium Metal" content Organic lining on the pressure plate side. This combination runs cooler and significantly extends clutch life. The OFE series clutch not only engages very smooth, it has the torque capacity of other Stage 4 clutch kits. This state of the art kit is what everybody wants when it comes to street performance.

I went with South bend clutch and I purchased ^^above^^ kit with fidenza flywheel today. I also had them perform Cryogenics process to both the fidenza and the clutch. Total with shipping and insurance and cryogenics process came to $880.00. I talked to one of the techs and he stated the the cryogenics process is worth it for clutch and flywheel life down the stretch. So we'll see how it goes.:3_winkthu They're clutches are unsprung.

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
OFE Kit:
HD Stage 3

The OFE kit combines the newest technology in linings: A Feramic full face lining on the flywheel side and a "Medium Metal" content Organic lining on the pressure plate side. This combination runs cooler and significantly extends clutch life. The OFE series clutch not only engages very smooth, it has the torque capacity of other Stage 4 clutch kits. This state of the art kit is what everybody wants when it comes to street performance.

I went with South bend clutch and I purchased ^^above^^ kit with fidenza flywheel today. I also had them perform Cryogenics process to both the fidenza and the clutch. Total with shipping and insurance and cryogenics process came to $880.00. I talked to one of the techs and he stated the the cryogenics process is worth it for clutch and flywheel life down the stretch. So we'll see how it goes.:3_winkthu They're clutches are unsprung.
F. from the pics it showed as sprung. Oh well, I guess I will have another unsprung clutch.

I still dont see it as being useful. I think the throwout bearing will crap out on you alot quicker than the clutch itself.

I also ordered the OFE, and it should be here today, which means it will be in my car by tonight.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
F. from the pics it showed as sprung. Oh well, I guess I will have another unsprung clutch.

I still dont see it as being useful. I think the throwout bearing will crap out on you alot quicker than the clutch itself.

I also ordered the OFE, and it should be here today, which means it will be in my car by tonight.
Malogus if you have the old style HY5 flywheel you can't use a sprung clutch anyway. It wasn't until recently that they redesigned the HY5 to accept a sprung disc. Your clutch has been in for some time so I don't think yours will work with a sprung disc.

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Malogus if you have the old style HY5 flywheel you can't use a sprung clutch anyway. It wasn't until recently that they redesigned the HY5 to accept a sprung disc. Your clutch has been in for some time so I don't think yours will work with a sprung disc.
You rule. Hopefully it's not sprung. Good thing I didnt order my clutch from ultrarev, they were telling me that the HY5 could accept a sprung clutch. I was positive i was right. But it sounds like we both were right.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well regardless, mine is probably the older one, so hopefully this South Bend Clutch is unsprung.
Hey dude are you putting your clutch and flywheel yourself? Want to do mine? I'll pay you and supply beer if your willing. I'd like to meet more peeps with nice tibs anyway.:3_winkthu

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DIfferent from molecular hardening, are thermal coatings. I had read a lot about this when I was researching coatings for my air intake. It's not practical for surface to surface contact like clutch plates, but effective for many other mechanical applications.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine_coatings_review_tech/
He only charged me 40 bucks to perform the service on the clutch and flywheel. So if it does nothing atleast I didnt get bent over.

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Hey dude are you putting your clutch and flywheel yourself? Want to do mine? I'll pay you and supply beer if your willing. I'd like to meet more peeps with nice tibs anyway.:3_winkthu

Haha I am going to say no on that one - It's a good 8 hour ordeal. I am doing mine myself, and that is enough for me. I don't do big jobs like that on other people's cars. Even if I did, I would charge about $500 or so, just given that it's a pain in the ***.

Ii don't mine giving tips and hints on any install, mainly because I know this car like the back of my hand. But when it comes to other people's cars, I am more of a supervisor, unless you are one of my good friends. Hell even if you are one of my friends, I still mainly supervisor. Ask MinesBetter, I maybe helped with a total of 15 bolts on his engine swap haha.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.