Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the tech at the dealer told me to take out my iridum (sp) plugs because our engines require plat. ne-ways i took the car in because on cold days (below 40 degrees) when i first start my car in the morning the car will not idle. it will run sh**y then cut off. i can crank it back up after it shuts off and it runs fine. and until the motor gets warm if you get into the gas a little it bucks and stumbles. but not like a misfire more like a surge. car runs great other than that, im just lucky we're having a warm winter in NC.

thanks
josh

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
I use Denso Iridium plugs with Vitek wires and I have never had a problem with the set up. its gotten down into High 20s where I live and car starts fine. Ive noticed a slight loss in gas mileage but I like the way the engine runs with the iridium plugs. Just my opinion :3_koning:

·
Banned
1 Posts
If you are running CAI that may be the problem, you are describing the exact problem I had with mine. The additional air will sometimes mess with the MAF over time, and I periodically have to do this when the weather changes drastically.

Disable the neg bat cable to reset the ECU while the car is cold. Let it sit for at least five minutes. Then start the car do not hit the gas and let it idle for at least another 5 min or until the temp guage starts to move.

I reset my ECU in the evening and started it the next morning. This probably is not necessary but my car has run fine ever since

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i've got an 03 4 cyl with a map. i've had iridium plugs + CAI + nology plug wires through -40 degrees with no problems. starts like a freakin charm every time. your tech has no idea what he is talking about....he's just trying to blame your mod's for the problem so he doesnt have to figgure out what the real problem is.

·
Registered
302 Posts
hyundai now uses the iridium to replace the platinums the hyundai parts catalog will give you iridium plugs for any tib.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
hyundai now uses the iridium to replace the platinums the hyundai parts catalog will give you iridium plugs for any tib.
So it is a myth that the Iridium and better wires hurts performance??? I've always thought that my engine ran alittle better with iridium plugs and my vitek wires.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
just don't mess them up, replacing one at a time. very easy.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I have iridium plugs in my car and I've never had a problem. Even with all of the mods I have my car starts and idles just fine in cold weather. I was a little concerned with how the car would act with cams in cold weather but it's been in the low 20's a few times here and I have not had any issues at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts