Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys & gals I just got my Clutch and Flywheel.
Spec Stage 3+ clutch, pressure plate
Spec Light weight aluminum flywheel.

I'll be installing it this weekend... I hope, and i'll keep everyone posted on how it goes in as well as how it turns out. I'll try to take alot of pictures, and maybe i'll do up a DIY.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
DIY PLEASE!!!!!!!
i want to do mine, but i dont want to get in there and have no clue what i'm doin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LiquidFireTibby said:
DIY PLEASE!!!!!!!
i want to do mine, but i dont want to get in there and have no clue what i'm doin
hey man, i'm not sure how soon i'll be able to do a DIY, Its turned out to be taking me longer that i hoped for and there is alot of crap to dissassemble. But none the less. If you have two people, and alot of quality tools its not all that bad just time consumming. First thing is first, get a service manual if you don't already have one. and if you're really gonna do it, send me a private message and i'll get in touch with you to give you an idea of what all is involved.
later

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
DeathMetalDan said:
hey man, i'm not sure how soon i'll be able to do a DIY, Its turned out to be taking me longer that i hoped for and there is alot of crap to dissassemble. But none the less. If you have two people, and alot of quality tools its not all that bad just time consumming. First thing is first, get a service manual if you don't already have one. and if you're really gonna do it, send me a private message and i'll get in touch with you to give you an idea of what all is involved.
later
How hard was it remove the subframe or whatever.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
05GT said:
it wasn't too bad, you'll need two people, and its nice to have 2 jacks if you can, so you can hold it up while you take out the bolts. and then roll it out when disconnected. Get ready to spend some time dissconnecting alot of stuff and lable all the hardware. I use paper cups and write what the nut/bolt is for on the outside. You'll need to drain and refill the tansmission oil, as well as take out the axle shafts. Plus you'll need an engine support tool, or a engine hoist. You'll also want to support the steering system,(I used straps and hooked it on the my engine support tool.)
Lots of TIME!!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
05GT said:
wasn't that hard at all....then again i have a compressor and impact gun....but if i remember correctly i just used a ratchet to get it off

·
Registered
869 Posts
DeathMetalDan said:
it wasn't too bad, you'll need two people, and its nice to have 2 jacks if you can, so you can hold it up while you take out the bolts. and then roll it out when disconnected. Get ready to spend some time dissconnecting alot of stuff and lable all the hardware. I use paper cups and write what the nut/bolt is for on the outside. You'll need to drain and refill the tansmission oil, as well as take out the axle shafts. Plus you'll need an engine support tool, or a engine hoist. You'll also want to support the steering system,(I used straps and hooked it on the my engine support tool.)
Lots of TIME!!!
you can just take the steering rack out and get it out of the way....

·
Registered
869 Posts
for those who don't have an engine hoist just do what i did. it really wasn't all that bad. here's pics
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88150
it took me, my husband, and my buddy jason to get it done. you have to prep and take a lot of stuff out before you start, and when you start you have to take even more stuff out.....but the jacks allowed us the movement to do what we needed...the only tricky thing is the tranny and engin share two mounts....so when we dissconnected them and pulled the tranny we took a cargo strap and wrapped it around the engine and and knotted that to the front of the car for more support....i guess i should have taken pictures as we went along and done a full DIY....by the way it's really not necessary to put the bolts in paper cups....the only bolts we kept in order were the tranny's...the rest of the stuff we threw into a box knowing if we didn't we lose them haha

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BlackWidow04 said:
you can just take the steering rack out and get it out of the way....
yeah your right, I just didn't feel like dissconnecting the steering from the power steering gearbox...
hey i noticed you've got a spec clutch how do you like it?? how many miles do you have on it, and how was it after you were finished with the breakind period???

·
Registered
869 Posts
DeathMetalDan said:
yeah your right, I just didn't feel like dissconnecting the steering from the power steering gearbox...
hey i noticed you've got a spec clutch how do you like it?? how many miles do you have on it, and how was it after you were finished with the breakind period???
haha i'm in ithe breaking in period right now...she was just done last weekend...but so far i like it...it's not stiff but it is touchy...there is no wait and go...it's release the clutch and she's gone....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
almost done with breaking... infact i'm 3 miles off, so i'm gonna go drive for alittle while, and then i'm gonna push it. I'll be back in a little while and I let all know how it feels.
Good luck and God Speed!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I've heard nothing but bad things about Spec clutches on the tibby, but please, prove all those retards wrong. I've never heard any good reason why the spec systems suck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, all i can say is the back of my head hurts from getting smacked up against the seat into every gear. It pulls and it pulls hard. I can spin the tires all the way through 1st, i can get a pretty good spin into 2nd, and i can cherp them into 3rd.
I'm please... very pleased. No slipping what so ever, solid grip and its easy to slip it or pop it into gear which ever you prefer for your specific driving times and situations.
Remember I've only got just over 500 miles on this setup, so i'll let you know if i have bad luck as more miles are added.
I have no reason to believe that this setup would be any worse than clutchmaster, ""net, ACT and so on. All you need to do is get the right setup that is rated for how much power your pushing out, and it never hurts to get a little more than you need.
As far as i can tell, premature failure on this setup would be due to imporper install, improper breakin, or lack of modifying the CRAPPY Hyundai slave cylinder setup in the Tiburon. DO the slave cylinder mod!!
Comments Please!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I had the SPEC stage 3 and the Fidanza 9lb flywheel setup..... this was back in the days of Key Motorsports though. I loved it.

Daily driving is a bit of a different story though. be careful when taking off. you will do 1 of 4 things.... not a whole lot of in between:
1Launch like a mofo, since you had to give it more than normal gas to take off normally, and you let the clutch out too quickly.
2 Kill it 9 lb plus grippy clutch = easy to do
3 slip the piss out of it
4 do alright.

Once you get used to it, you are golden and will never look back. driving a tib with stock flywheel and clutch afterwards seems mundane. kinda like reinstalling the stock rowboat shifter after having a TWM installed for 3 years. ask me how I know this one. it sucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts