Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
03 tiburon gt 2.7L V6

Ok, it all started one night driving and my speedometer got real jittery then all of a sudden went out. Also my odometer stopped tracking mileage, my gas gauge stop being reliable, and my cruise control stopped working. I understand these are all signs of a bad output speed sensor but I have replaced both the input/output speed sensor and the issues still are there. Also weird enough there are no error codes showing up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
is this a stick or automatic? 5speed or 6?

that wacky combination of particular issues is realistically only one thing, and that's the speed sensor on top of the transmission (for manuals)

i had this happen to me before (broke it doing the clutch), and one thing i can say is if you chipped the teeth of the gear connected to the speed sensor, and it doesn't mesh correctly, then you replacing the sensor isnt gonna fix the problem.

i say that because i replaced the speed sensor but chipped the teeth of that gear. reinstalled everything and it didnt fix the problem. replaced that gear, and everything went back to normal.

check your wiring for shorts or frays.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
that doesn't sound like a speed sensor...it looks like your gauge cluster is failing, but first check your fuses

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
i had this happen before... the tach works but speedometer doesnt, the gas gauge swings wildly, car doesn't accrue mileage.

i'll find some more links to corroborate this....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a 4 speed automatic and I have replaced the both speed sensors on top of the transmission. I actually have replaced the output twice now. I am out of ideas. It is not a fuse, I checked them all, it isn't the cluster I had it tested at the dealer. Thanks guys for the info/help but nothing seems to be working. Could this be the TCU?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2003 Tiburon gt.same thing on mine,except my cruise light still comes on but no codes,I changed the tranny sensor,the gauge and I found out that the right wheel sensor is used for the speedometer as well,well in my it is ,I don't have ABS and my car has only the right front wheel sensor,I found the speedo wiring harness pinched between two brackets in the dash behind the speedo and after fixing the wires I thought that was my problem,but I was wrong,if you unplug your speedo harness turn your key on,then turn the key off,this is what I did and when the key was off I plugged te speedo back in the speedometer went up to about 70mph then dropped back down to zero,maybe it don't mean anything but on a motor cycle the tach will do that and that is the fault codes on a motorcycle,but if you get yours fix could you post what you found and I will do the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
do you know the location of a speed sensor on a 03 auto , 2.0 tiburon, my speedometer went out and i am trying to replace the sensor not sure where it is located

·
Administrator
8,884 Posts
do you know the location of a speed sensor on a 03 auto , 2.0 tiburon, my speedometer went out and i am trying to replace the sensor not sure where it is located
Open your hood, standing on the drivers side, look over the brake master cylinder on top of the trans. The sensor is standing up with the plug on top.
You can also look on top of the trans "just behind" where the coil pack ends (towards the firewall), same sensor.

There are a couple of other trans sensors, but they look to only control the TC lock-up.

If you think it's the sensor, get a new one & compare to what you see under the hood based on location I'm providing.

PS, power for the sensor is fuse #16 in the BCM, but appears it covers other items as well so if it's cleared, you may have other issues.
Fuse numbering starts from the top left of the BCM and goes, "Left to right, top to bottom".

·
Retired NT Staff
4,119 Posts
He's asked this 5 different times in 5 different threads in the past few days. All answered. By me, using Charlie's response to the first one.....

If you make a new thread, it will be deleted. If you still have no clue what you are even looking for, since we've now told you where they are located 6 times, please get some help in person from a mechanic. If it's still not working after replacing them, then come back so we can trouble shoot more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.