Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Eibach Pro Kit Springs Binding and Popping (Fixed)

I finally put my Eibach pro kit springs on with KYB struts. I did my best but the spring on the right side is binding. I did the trick in the DIY and no workie. I also took it to a good suspension shop that has done a lot of suspensions and they did all they could. They even swapped the left and right springs. They handed the car back to me broken. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Please elaborate on what you mean by binding?
binding when you turn the wheels?
Binding over bumps?
Not seating properly?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Binding when I turn the wheel more than about 45 degrees. When it is in the air, I can watch the spring turn and pop. I just went to pick it up from the suspension place and he suggests I try new strut bearings. I am about to look them up and see how much I have to bend over for them. What do you think?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can anyone over night this part? go Hyundai, no aftermarket and dealers don't stock. if there wasn't bad luck, i would have any luck at all. =(

·
Read Only
0 Posts
CiZiN said:
Binding when I turn the wheel more than about 45 degrees. When it is in the air, I can watch the spring turn and pop. I just went to pick it up from the suspension place and he suggests I try new strut bearings. I am about to look them up and see how much I have to bend over for them. What do you think?
Yes, but what is binding? The spring is binding on what? You need to describe EXACTLY what is happening if you're looking for help.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
When I turn the wheel I can watch the spring turn in the bottom on the strut. It makes noises as it turns, a popping noise. I can't see where it is actually making the noise. Does that help any? Sorry if I am not being descriptive enough.

On a side note, I spoke to the shop again and basically they don't really want to touch it so I am on my own again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When the hydraulic valves in your struts fail, it usually cause a popping/clikcing sound. Aside from a probable bad CV joint, a worn out strut mount bearing could be the likely cause.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
CarPal16 said:
When the hydraulic valves in your struts fail, it usually cause a popping/clikcing sound. Aside from a probable bad CV joint, a worn out strut mount bearing could be the likely cause.
I have Eibach pro kit as well. my front suspension does the same thing, when Im in reverse and I turn wheels I hear a popping, clicking sound. I had dealership tighten all front suspension bolts to factory specs and that worked for a couple of months and now sound is comming back. I remember sombody saying if you replace the strut mounts that solves the problem. I wonder how much all that maddness is going cost.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I had my friend that owns a performance shop take a look at it. He took both sides off and put them back on. He says it all looks fine. We can watch the spring on the bottom turn in the strut until the top catches up with it and it pops back in place. He suggested that I get an alignment to see if that does anything to relieve the side load on the whole strut/ spring assembly. Well after the alignment, it is better but still pops at a full turn. I am so not happy. I think the next step is to replace the whole top mount assembly. I just don't know anymore.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
CiZiN said:
Well after searching and reading a majority of posts that had the word "spring" in it. There are 500 posts that come up. Probably more than that. I think this is my problem:

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1289155&postcount=19

I sent this to my friend at the performance shop and I am now awaiting his reply.

Interesting, I don't know much about suspension so how would I go about doing this?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Basically, you would have to do the progress spring popping fix but instead of just turning the tophats 180 degrees, you would have to make sure the oblong part of the tophat is outwards from the car.

I will post more up on Wed or Thursday after I speak to my shop.

-CiZ

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
CiZiN said:
Basically, you would have to do the progress spring popping fix but instead of just turning the tophats 180 degrees, you would have to make sure the oblong part of the tophat is outwards from the car.

I will post more up on Wed or Thursday after I speak to my shop.

-CiZ
Sweet thanks. :3_winkthu Will not doing this damage suspension eventually. I hate the popping sound but I could live with it for awhile as long as I knew it wasnt killing the suspension. :3_redcard

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can almost guarantee you are doing damage in some form.

After discussing this with my friend over a few Coronas, he told me he does not like turning the top hats. He said that they are grooved for a reason and if it was caught in pre-inspection at the track, I would not pass. I plan to run a few road courses this next year. The likely hood is very slim but it is just not the proper way. He spoke with the top mechanic where he works his full time job and he agrees with him, so we are going to shave a little bit off the spring to make the top hat sit the way it would with the stock spring. He believes this will make a more secure fit and last longer. I'll let you know how it all works out.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I was thinking about this same set-up, so what exactally is the problem part? (sorry you may have already said it, but im a little drunk)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha me too so forgive me if I don't explain it well.

It seems that the top and the bottom of the eibach pro kit springs don't start and end at the same point. If you seat the springs where they belong on the bottom and the top, it causes the tophat to sit differently from where they sit with the stock springs. Since the top hats are round, where the strut fits between them is not in the center. This causes the top hats to have a short side and a long side. When mounting the springs in the grooves properly, the longer side will hit the inner fender when in a 90 degree turn causing the spring and top hat to not turn with the strut as designed. This causes a popping or binding sound as it re-seats itself.

I must say that the eibach pro kit does have a perfect drop and feels very good. I am so happy with the performance and appearance, it is just too bad eibach didn't do more R&D or warn users about this first. Most people just turn the top hats to counteract this but this is not really the right way of doing it but should work.

·
Registered
952 Posts
mmm I would think people with eibach springs would of said something by now.

man I've almost drank a whole bottle of Patron... and I have to go to work tomorrow, but I don't have to be till 12 ha ha..alright im going to bed

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Well once you shave the springs let me know if it worked

1 - 20 of 27 Posts