Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
To start off I have done some research on this issue but there seems to be multiple different things that could be causing it. I'm hoping to narrow down the possibilities and/or isolate what is causing this problem.

Whenever I cold start the vehicle (08 GS) it squeals for about 5-10 seconds. Then whenever I turn the wheel right/left (hard) it squeals. I'm assuming its caused by the power steering belt slipping off slightly, however I'm not sure of the cause of this. The belt does not look frayed at all (maybe a TINY bit on the one edge) and the PS fluid is clean/fresh/within the proper min/max levels. I read on a similar post that tightening the alternator adjustment bolt would solve this issue, however after tightening and loosening it, neither one seemed to do much of anything. I have not tried adjusting the tension on the PSP yet so that may be my next method that I try unless I can get some sort of answer on here to narrow does this problem.

Please let me know if any other information is required, I look forward to hearing your responses.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Remove and inspect the belt (groove side of the belt). If you never replaced it before, maybe it a good time to do so.
Check A/C belt too. try adjusting the tensioner.
While the belts are out, check if there's any play in the pulleys.

not related to the squealing issue, last timing belt changed?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Chances are the belt is not tight enough. The power steering pump on the 2.0L Has a slotted mounting bracket so loosen the pump mounting bolts and try to pull the pump further away from the block and tighten it up. If the belt is ok this will stop the squealing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Remove and inspect the belt (groove side of the belt). If you never replaced it before, maybe it a good time to do so.
Check A/C belt too. try adjusting the tensioner.
While the belts are out, check if there's any play in the pulleys.

not related to the squealing issue, last timing belt changed?
Chances are the belt is not tight enough. The power steering pump on the 2.0L Has a slotted mounting bracket so loosen the pump mounting bolts and try to pull the pump further away from the block and tighten it up. If the belt is ok this will stop the squealing.
So I just recently purchased the car (12/17/18) at 88k miles (89k now). I'm not sure of the exact date/mileage the drive belts / timing belt were all changed, I'm currently at work so I can't check my paperwork, however I know the drive belts were replaced somewhat recently and the timing belt was done around 60k. I can definitely check the integrity of the belts, tension, pulleys, etc, this weekend though.

Also, I remember checking the tension on the PS belt and it seemed relatively loose so I think I'll go ahead and tighten it a little before removing the belts and everything.
Do either of you know the proper tension that the belt should be at? I read somewhere that a good number is 3/8 inch.

P.S. Whenever I am taking a sharp right/left turn, like pulling out of a driveway or parking spot, the power steering seems to fail and it becomes very difficult to turn the wheel while it is squealing. Would this also be caused by the PS belt slipping or would this be a separate issue?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
the car has a 2 piece vibration damper (AKA crank pulley). they can and do separate and slip. put a white out, marker, or a paint line across the damper and run the engine (like from center of bolt to edge of the damper). after running for a while, see if the mark is still lined up. if it is not, the damper needs to be replaced. i always found the A/C belt to be the culprit of the belt squeal when turning shortly after i replaced the belts. just re tighten it (loosen the bolt thru the center of the idler pulley first, then tighten the belt using the tensioner on the idler. do not forget to re tighten the center bolt).

·
Super Moderator
8,696 Posts
the car has a 2 piece vibration damper (AKA crank pulley). they can and do separate and slip. put a white out, marker, or a paint line across the damper and run the engine (like from center of bolt to edge of the damper). after running for a while, see if the mark is still lined up. if it is not, the damper needs to be replaced. i always found the A/C belt to be the culprit of the belt squeal when turning shortly after i replaced the belts. just re tighten it (loosen the bolt thru the center of the idler pulley first, then tighten the belt using the tensioner on the idler. do not forget to re tighten the center bolt).
Mark your crank pulley sorta like this..https://www.newtiburon.com/forums/members/charlie-iii-albums-crank-pulley.html
It's a Subaru pulley, but same basic design.:nerd2:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,696 Posts
just HAD to go and confuse everyone with a picture, using a non-tib part no less, didnt ya??!! hahaha!!:|:|:|:|
Yes, yes I did.:grin2:
Figured, "a picture is worth a thousand words". I use it on Subaru forums as well.:wink2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts