Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....

Last time i went to the track I switched my 18's with my stock 16's and ever since then my suspension started squeeking, even after i put my 18's back on....

My car is lowered with Tein spings, but other than that, the suspension is stock...

The car squeeks whenever i get in and out of the car and also when i brake.... It's not very loud but it is annoying,

any ideas on what it may be? Is it anything that could be fixed with some simple lubrication?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oompa loompa doompady doo bump to the top and we're looking for you.....

·
Registered
542 Posts
Have the same problem... Started about a month after I put my springs (eibach pro) on...
I was told to grease up the ends of the springs but that didn't help at all. Another person said it might be the struts starting to give out...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the struts going out might make sense,

hope it;s not that though, that would suck lol

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
mine squeeked whenever i did those things the dealership told me it was my exhaust. is ur exhaust aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, but how the hell would an exhaust affect your suspension..... that's BS lol

·
Registered
542 Posts
MoogLe said:
yea, but how the hell would an exhaust affect your suspension..... that's BS lol
I think he meant the exhaust was squeeking on its hangers or something (or he was joking)... which is a giant load of crap indeed, but I wouldn't put it pass a dealership to say some crap like that...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would try greasing the bushings around the rear sway bar. Just had to do it to mine today and no more squeek.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool, i'll try that

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
+1 for the greasing the bushings on the sway bar.

I'm lazy about changing my own oil so I take it in to one of those drive-throughs. I had the guy do it for me and haven't heard a squeak since and it's been at least a year and a half. The funny part was that my engine was running and the guy reached under the car, I swear no word of a lie, his face close to the exhaust on both sides. I made a comment about that and he said, no big deal. I think too much exhaust has caused irreversible brain damage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine squeaks if it's a dramatic enough rolling hill I'm driving down or up turning onto it when the transition is fast.

If it squeaks when your car would be bouncing were it not for the struts it probably your sway bar causing the problem, at least not if you're moving in a straight line and the car isn't trying to roll one way or another. You'd be more apt to hear the sway bar bushings going around turns. The one on my old car creaked more than squeaked, but those were the rubber bushings that came with the upgraded bar. My sway bar was just put on my Tiburon with super-greased poly bushings, so it isn't that making the sound.

I hope it isn't the struts starting to give. My old car did it too though and those weren't near failure. They were lifetime-warrantied Bilsteins.

As far as the exhaust, I wouldn't laugh too much at that possiblity. I've mostly heard mine squeak from the back, and when my car was raised last weekend I noticed the exhaust moves around a bit the way the clamps work. There are some odd looking flimsy rubber things back there, so it could be the movement of the exhaust clamp apparatus causing the squeak when your car is bounding. But I wouldn't swear to it.

Perhaps their intentionally designed to have some give rather than hold tight and just break loose when you hit a bad bump like they did on my old car. Fortunately, my local Pontiac dealer had no problem replacing my clamps under warranty.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mine never squeeked, then came the eibach swaybar kit.....then lotsa squeek, then i put the stock sway bar back on and now lotsa squeek again......I think its time for jon to cover himself in vasoline and go on a swaybar greasing spree.....ops....did i just say that out loud?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's not my exhaust, i have a custom exhaust and the way they mounted it, it's pretty much solid, not much movement.

as far as the bushings, i know for a fact that mine are very worn out and i was already planning on replacing them next month, i'm gonna try greasing them in the meanwhile.

if it's the struts, well, i'm not investing in new struts untill those are in really bad condition lol, i'm not interested in dumping $500-$1000 in struts at the moment

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If I remember right, when I installed my Eibach Pros about 2 years ago, they said don't butt the end of the spring all the way into the cup (touching), but leave a slight amount of clearance to avoide squeaking. I gapped mine about 1/8" and I've never had any noise.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mine arent all the way in either and it shouldnt be that cause i've been driving around with my springs for months before this started

1 - 15 of 15 Posts