Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I am wondering what scanner / reader that is recommended to reset the SRS Airbag light. I did replace the part, but no longer have a scanner to reset it as I sold my old one. I want to buy a new one, but I want to spend less $100 bucks. What do you guys recommend? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,592 Posts
Best choice.....make friends with a local shop that has a newer "full sprectrum scanner" like a newer SnapOn scanner.
Going through the thread on here for "Cascade", getting the correct cable (getting hard/expensive) and Cascade can do it.
I am blessed with a shop with a sorta new scanner from SnapOn.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Best choice.....make friends with a local shop that has a newer "full sprectrum scanner" like a newer SnapOn scanner.
Going through the thread on here for "Cascade", getting the correct cable (getting hard/expensive) and Cascade can do it.
I am blessed with a shop with a sorta new scanner from SnapOn.....
I got it what Cascade is, but there is no solution for a cable? I want my own tool, but do not want to buy an expensive one for just that. There are no shops out here that would do it as they are all chains. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,592 Posts
I got it what Cascade is, but there is no solution for a cable? I want my own tool, but do not want to buy an expensive one for just that. There are no shops out here that would do it as they are all chains. Thank you.
What can I say.......

Likely your old scanner would NOT reset an airbag or SRS light, only OBDII.
Most shops have a scanner that can do the airbag light reset, figure fifty to one hundred bucks US for maybe five minutes work.
CASCADE is free, cable maybe twenty bucks US. Provided you can find the cable now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What can I say.......

Likely your old scanner would NOT reset an airbag or SRS light, only OBDII.
Most shops have a scanner that can do the airbag light reset, figure fifty to one hundred bucks US for maybe five minutes work.
CASCADE is free, cable maybe twenty bucks US. Provided you can find the cable now.
I will leave it or try to find the cable. Do you have a cable number or cable type? Thank you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You remove the screws holding the shell together and then just solder a piece of wire from pin 7 to pin 8. Not that difficult.
Everything is easy once you have done it before. What side of the cable is Pin 7 and 8? Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254256598981/

You'll just need to solder a jumper from pin7 to pin8.
Hhhhh, you know what .. I was thinking today, I should click on the eBay link just to see what kind of cable are you guys talking about.
I used to have a VW CC many many years ago, and that was the first cable i bought to use it with that car, but ended up buying 'obdeleven' dongle, and not ever opening the cable.
So I never used that cable, and it was sitting in my office for sooooo many year (I sold the car over 3 years ago).

The irony is, I was "spring-cleaning" my office for the first time ever few weeks ago, and I look at that cable and thought "what a piece of junk" and trashed it.
Never knew that I can use these with my Tiburon :facepalm:

Now I'm buying another one :5lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got this cable in the mail, and when I popped it open pins 7 and 8 aren't even connected to the board. Is this right?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I just got this cable in the mail, and when I popped it open pins 7 and 8 aren't even connected to the board. Is this right?
Post a picture. You're probably looking at the connector wrong. The pinout that OmarAta posted is for the female port on the vehicle. If you're looking at the adapter, it would be a mirror image.

·
Registered
4 Posts
auto-zone sells one that will do the airbag and oil filter on some vehicles cant remember off the top of my head what brand i will say its over a hundred usd its also able to be updated from pc usually the airbag light is due to the seat belt switch the code reader will tell you which side is shorted. also autozone i belive will rent the one that clears that code

·
Super Moderator
8,592 Posts
auto-zone sells one that will do the airbag and oil filter on some vehicles cant remember off the top of my head what brand i will say its over a hundred usd its also able to be updated from pc usually the airbag light is due to the seat belt switch the code reader will tell you which side is shorted. also autozone i belive will rent the one that clears that code
I "believe" cheapest for Tib SRS is Cascade (software on here) and cable (Triumph motorcycle cable).
I am not aware of an other way to cheaply do the reset unless you have a friend at a shop.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I "believe" cheapest for Tib SRS is Cascade (software on here) and cable (Triumph motorcycle cable).
I am not aware of an other way to cheaply do the reset unless you have a friend at a shop.
There are a ton of $5 KKL adapters on ebay right now, like the one I liked to earlier. I don't know why OP is having such a difficult time with the pin 7/8 mod.

Anyway, the next cheapest option for ABS reset (and other advanced featured) is a Hyper Tough HT200 from Walmart for $50. It's a re-branded Autel AP200. You get one free vehicle make with updates for life. I believe it's $15 per make if you want to add more and that's for 1-year of updates. I have high friends in low places that are capable of activating all makes for a price.

This is a relatively new device, so I expect its functionality and updates from Autel to improve over time.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Autel-HT200-Hyper-Tough-OBD2-CAN-Bluetooth-All-Systems-Scan-Tool/964022238
https://www.auteltech.com/autelcms/Specialty Products/595.jhtml

1 - 16 of 16 Posts