Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it usually take to get headers installed by professionals? Whats the price range? For those who have SSA headers/exhaust combo, how does that sound? The exhaust alone is loud, i cant imagine how loud it will be with headers haha.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
well with headers and no cat. the car will be LOUD and defenitly raspy, without a dought.

As for price of removal and install, your at least looking at $65 p/hour of work, and about 4-6 hours of work. so, if you do the math that turns out to be about $260-390 if work, not including the price of the headers that you would have to buy, and also, if you get the V1 (version 1) headers your gonna have to have the shop install the bung-holes for the O2 sensors (4 at about $5 p/ hole).

My opinion.... get a buddy to help you do it and save your money. There is some work involved, and there are alot of thread on doing headers, and they really do help. I say attack this job on your own, and throw those $400 of labor into something else.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
definitly do it yourself. U will learn alot about the car and feel good after being done

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hmmm, I know some dealerships that will only charge me about 30 an hour but even still is it worth it. Also how high do you need to lift the tib?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tanelk said:
hyundai dealership will charge u $1000 to install them, i would know cus thats what they told me

for $1000 they better put a 100K ten year warranttee on any after market part you put on then. :3_lijstje

nick

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
i was gona say.... if you live in the dallas area, you can come over to my house, my friend's dad has a damn nice garage with everything.. i go over there and give them man 20 bucks to use his garage for a bit. i have to use it alot so he rakes in the cash.. but its still a good deal, id rather do all the work myself, spend a few hours doing it, and just not worry about spending another 400 bucks for an install i could do myself...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Tanelk said:
hyundai dealership will charge u $1000 to install them, i would know cus thats what they told me

RAPE!!! $1,000 that just isn't right.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i spend about 8 hrs swapping my stock headers and exhaust for another guys DC headers and exhaust and at the end of the day we were tired but the next morning it was awsome feeling knowing i changed them myself and i learned ALOT that day

·
Registered
419 Posts
did my SSA's in 3 hrs...its not really that hard, just takes time. but its not a "lay on the garage floor" job, unless ya wanna spend a weekend doing it... a lift and wratchet wrenches are a must....

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
jas72 said:
did my SSA's in 3 hrs...its not really that hard, just takes time. but its not a "lay on the garage floor" job, unless ya wanna spend a weekend doing it... a lift and wratchet wrenches are a must....
LIFTS...
They're the main reason that I love the on base hobby shops... that and the fact that they move more tools than one gearhead could dream of...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i did mine on jack stands in an apartment complex parking lot. We had both tibs side by side. Swapped the exhaust out then jacked up the front end and went to work on the headers. Id say 8 hrs worth and yeah a lift would have been nice instead of constant up and down

·
Registered
358 Posts
with the SSA headers it says they come with a test pipe right? is it bolted or welded on, I have to have a cat here in PA so I want o use a magnaflow high flo cat or something similar, will I have to cut part of my exhaut out to make room?

·
Registered
443 Posts
yea did mine in about 4-5 hrs, slacking with food breaks in the middle. haha so if we were to work at it straight maybe approximately 3 hrs would have sufficed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did it in record time 22hrs......(no thats not a typo)...lol

Sorry for the long post, but good info

FRIDAY 14:00 (2:00PM)

I tore the entire system out at the craft shop and had everything from the cat to the pipes replaced in under an hour.....

than came the headers....

after venting the A/C system, dropping the compressor and the alternator, moving the hoses and heat shields, and slicing my arms to sh*t.... i had the old headers out....

got the new ones bolted to the block... on to the o2 sensors..wait what is this, this o2 bung is on the wrong side....*sigh*... well now we have to move that...its almost 20:00 and the shop is closing.....well get it tomorrow

take a cab home and explain where the car is to the wife.............

SATURDAY 10:00 AM

got the "Y" pipe in wait....wait whats this.... SSA forgot a gasket....oh, and bolts...*sigh*...well got a gasktet and shes bolted in..

everything looks tight, guess we should test her out....

putt...putt....putt.....why isnt she starting.... what did i forget....

Oh, i know, i forgot the alternator return line.....

putt...putt...putt... well, what could it be. its getting fuel...did i blow the ECU....sh*t how much does that cost..... so i start double checking every sensor and connection........... nothing is working....
its almost closing time on day 2.....what do i do..

take a cab ride home (with wife) and appologize for being an a**hole for wanting the damn headers in the firts place, but re-assure her it will be worth it in the long run....

SUNDAY 10:00 AM

i am blowing the 10A SNSR fuse and dont know why... unhooked all the o2 sensors and she still blows.

while am i not getting any spark.... what about the battery.... did i seriously mess it up.....

unhook this sensor, blows the fuse....unhook that sensor....blows the fuse...tore the engine apart...blows the fuse....

whats wrong michelle....(my wife who just stopped smoking and is now pregnant).."i dont know what the f*cking problem is either josh, im just going to stare at the engine till it jumps out at me"

(10 seconds later....no sh*t)

"josh, why is this wire cut"?....what are you talking about woman?

apparently i had cut into the crankshaft posistion sensor while taking off the front bank heatshield..... fixed the wires and she fired right up like new......

Aside from some small exhaust leaks, and the issue with the gasket and 02 sensor bung on the wrong side.... i like the system. very powerful and decent sound throughout the entire powerband. but sounds awesome between 2500 and 4000 RPMS...thats what make it worth it......

moral of the story.. never rush something and always be careful while inside the engine...

Total Cost

Lift Fee - $6.00 hrs x 22hrs
Freon Vacum and Recharge $40.00
Hi-Scan OBDII Reading - $30.00
Overnight storage fee - $7.00 per night x 2 nights
Camshaft Posistion Sensor $32.79

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks...lol

not only does it haul a** but once you get used to the smell of having no cat shes great...

i jammed on the gas today just as i hit autobahn 60...and woooo hooooo went from 30 to 120mph in a flash.... and for some reason the CEL went out so win/win if you ask me.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I hear the autobahn is not that fun because everyone else is doing the same area speeds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts