Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a late start to the day since I was playing WOW all night. Originally, I only planned to install my poly mounts today, but for some reason, I got a little motivated and decided to tackle the header install. Guambomb showed up to help out with the install.

I started the install at around noon. The Auto Skills Center closed at 500. So I had a limited amount of time to begin with.

Install went pretty smoothly. I soaked everything with penetrating lubricant before I even picked up a tool. The old stuff came off pretty easily. I only broke one bolt, and that was one of the bolts that held the stock y-pipe to the front manifold. I tackled the rear first. All of the nuts came off pretty easily except for the top center, and the far right (passenger side) top. I eventually got the middle off and stopped being lazy and repositioned the alternator in order to get the final bolt off.

The front was easy. I was able to get the A/C compressor removed without venting the A/C (my main goal).

Putting on the new stuff:
The front went in without a hitch. The rear was fine until it was time to put the alternator back. The plastic portion on the left side of the alternator comes in contact with the rear header before it reaches it's original position. I will remedy this with a little dremeling. This is when I had to leave.

Overall, I'd say we got a lot done in only 5 hours.

Snags - Fitment
-The flange on the rear header needed to be ground down a bit since it was coming in contact with the lip of the oil pan. (Guambomb did the grinding)
- Alternator touches the rear header. 10 min fix with dremel.

What's left?
Dremel alternator cover
Bolt in alternator
Install y-pipe and cat.
Extend the rear passenger side O2 sensor.
I have about 1.5 hrs of work left for tomorrow.

The lift is your friend.

Rear Header Flange

Wheel removed to get to the alternator

Positioning Compressor

Front Coming Out

They're Both in WOO-HOO

See the black cover It hits the header!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well... the header install was wrapped up today. The weirdest thing gave me the most trouble. It took forever to get the top bolt back into the alternator. Other than that, everything else was a breeze.

Of my current mods, this is definitely the most fulfilling. The butt dyno definitely notices a difference. The top end pull is a lot nicer. The car doesn't seem to fall on it's face as hard around 5k. Now let's get to the sound. At idle, it really isn't much louder than the Ark single was with stock manifolds. I'm not running a cat at the current moment. It's just the test pipe. When you go WOT, it's a totally different beast. I really haven't decided if I wanna put the cat on now. It just sounds so freakin awesome the way it is now...

HERE ARE THE VIDS

Before: Stock Manifolds Ark Titanium Single
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/62a5df21-eedc-47b3-8a4b-986f00c953bd.htm

After: SSA v2 - Test Pipe - ARK Titanium Single
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUobbepEQE4

I'm going to post up pics of the finished install along with the requested clearance photos.

The Infamous Compressor Bolt

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nice work for only 5 hours.

So way off topic now. Do you have any rubbing issues with 19's and being lowered?

And I expect a new sound clip in the near future.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So way off topic now. Do you have any rubbing issues with 19's and being lowered?

I only rub on hard turns. If I hit a big dip on the freeway, it'll rub a little then also. But I don't have any major issues.

I have to be careful when I'm turning. If I hit a bump mid-turn, I'd probably do some fender damage.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
got to love that install

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

got to love that install
Yea,
I just wish that I had started about two hours earlier. I would have finished today.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how did you work around the issue with the header vs the black cover?

I haven't yet. I will remove a section of the cover with a dremel tomorrow. Shouldn't take long to fix.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Well I'll remember to take my dremmel with me on monday for my install. Pretty pics though. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ok, i got a question. Im in the process of installing my DC headers, and i have everything pretty much undone except for that one damn bolt behind the AC compressor... even though i have it broke free, theres not enough space to get it off the stud! (dammit!)

So how does the AC compressor come loose? The only bolts that i can see that logically secure it to the block are already out... 3 of em... 12mm bolts, each about 3" long. And it still wont budge!! Any help would be appreciated!

Oh... and 'grats on the 5 hr install!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
wait how did it break? anyways u can take all the bolts out but have some to hold the compressor up and u have to remove the belt too

·
Registered
486 Posts
how's the clearance w/ the driveshaft? pic. where they're both in, the back header curves around it, how much space is there?

good job, i'll be doing this soon so the pics. are definitely helpful

·
Registered
392 Posts
I got the belt off no problem. back manifold is off, and i got those 3 big bolts out of the front of the compressor. They look like the only ones that hold it to the block, but it wont budge. I also found one on the side of the compressor, near the belt, and pulled that one off. Theres 5 more bolts, but all those look like they'd vent the unit. o_O

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
there are 4 bolts that hold the compressor to the engine,

they're all positioned in kind of a square shape so just feel around for them,

you only need to unbolt 3 of them and loosen the 4th one, so you can just swing the compressor to the side, that's what i did, trust me, you dont want to take off all 4, it's a huge pain in the *** to line up the holes afterwards to remount it

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, i got a question. Im in the process of installing my DC headers, and i have everything pretty much undone except for that one damn bolt behind the AC compressor... even though i have it broke free, theres not enough space to get it off the stud! (dammit!)

So how does the AC compressor come loose? The only bolts that i can see that logically secure it to the block are already out... 3 of em... 12mm bolts, each about 3" long. And it still wont budge!! Any help would be appreciated!

To answer your question, this is what I did. I used a 12mm ratcheting wrench to get a grip of the bolt behind the line on the A/C compressor. I left the other 3 in the compressor until I was able to get the one behind the line broken free. Once it was broken free. I removed the other three. There are to 12mm bolts on the bottom and one 12mm on the top to the left. Once those three are out. I put the ratcheting wrench back on the bolt behind the ac line and slowly started bringing it out. As you loosen the bolt, you'll need to slide the compressor out to keep the bolt from backing into the line and getting stuck. It took a few minutes of doing this but I finally got compressor completely free and set it to the side.

It's pretty easy. Just time consuming.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

there are 4 bolts that hold the compressor to the engine,

they're all positioned in kind of a square shape so just feel around for them,

you only need to unbolt 3 of them and loosen the 4th one, so you can just swing the compressor to the side, that's what i did, trust me, you dont want to take off all 4, it's a huge pain in the *** to line up the holes afterwards to remount it
I took them out and completely removed the compressor. Where the compressor holes meet the block actually have little lips that slide into the holes on the compressor to help you line it back up. It only took 10 min to put it back on.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the belt off no problem. back manifold is off, and i got those 3 big bolts out of the front of the compressor. They look like the only ones that hold it to the block, but it wont budge. I also found one on the side of the compressor, near the belt, and pulled that one off. Theres 5 more bolts, but all those look like they'd vent the unit. o_O
I'll get a pic of the driveshaft clearance for you this morning when I finish the install.

·
Registered
486 Posts
thanks, and please post a video clip once you have it all installed without cats... i have an ARK single to replace my current SSA set-up on the way plus soon the SSA headers as well...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I took them out and completely removed the compressor. Where the compressor holes meet the block actually have little lips that slide into the holes on the compressor to help you line it back up. It only took 10 min to put it back on.
actually when i put the compressor on those lips the holes still didnt line up,

they were like half an inch higher,

dont know if maybe mine is different or what, but it took me like half an hour to finally get that thing lined up, maybe it was because i didnt have a lift and had VERY limited space to work with, so my arms got tired as hell!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts