Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.......soooo the idle, and throttle is set good now. However, something on my upper is squealing extremely loud. I dont know where it is coming from. All the bolts are tight, and I cant tell exactly where it is coming from. Has this happened to anyone before? if so what exactly is it? I am out of ideas, and TC is obviously not at work right now..........help me please!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Slide your finger around where the upper and lower intake manifolds meet. I had a leak and that's how I found it. I just loosened it back up and made sure it sat nicely tightened them in a pattern. Not just all the way down on one and work my way across.

·
Registered
588 Posts
crowebar said:
OK.......soooo the idle, and throttle is set good now. However, something on my upper is squealing extremely loud. I dont know where it is coming from. All the bolts are tight, and I cant tell exactly where it is coming from. Has this happened to anyone before? if so what exactly is it? I am out of ideas, and TC is obviously not at work right now..........help me please!
cant say ive noticed that with mine. hey are you throwing a code btw? just curious cause ive been throwing one due to a bad ground coming off the intake manifold. and any issues at startup when the car has been sitting for a while and the engine is cold? mine keeps stalling out and the rpm's fluctuating. but once it gets a lil heat in it the rpms stabilize right at 1k rpm's.

here's some vid i took at the end i put the camera in the engine bay.

http://media.putfile.com/Stage-4-vid-0001

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ddemlong said:
check for leaks with carb cleaner.
i found my stage4 was hitting that plate on the back where the old manifold bolted too; i had to remove it. did you?

I removed that plate completely....you dont need it. I asked TC to be sure he said get rid of it. I cant use the carb cleaner idea I dont think cause my covers, and st 4 are powder coated, think that will ruin it?

On the code, my engine light is on atm......but I dont know why, I have not drove the car yet, it started this squeal before I could. I will take some video and see if you all can hear it from that.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the holes are used, and the one hole not being used is plugged.........I will check the seal along the upper and lower again to make sure there is no leak. Would it hurt the intakes if I were to put a bead of silicone gasket stuff on it? the high temp kind (red)

·
Registered
433 Posts
wont soapy water only work if there was pressure in the intake manifold? u use carb cleaner because its flamable and the engine will suck it in if theres a leak wich will cause ur idle to change.

·
Registered
725 Posts
yeah but i forgot about the powder coating for the manifold, umm, well i think the other choice is propane was it that also works for leaks?.

check the throttle body also, when i put my stage 4 on i messed up the TB gasket i cut it (accidently from the studs)then after i started it a piece of it blew off and casued a leak

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe that its coming from the lower intake.....I am having my hyundai dealer get me new gaskets again. The lower I have a feeling is the problem. I tightened up the bolts a lot more, and the noise died off dramatically. Hopefully that fixes it......if it doesnt then the only thing I have left to try is put back on the old stuff, and send it back to TC and have him look at it. My god I hope I dont have to do that.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did the upper, but not the lower ones yet.....I will do that later today or this week, im not really in too much of a hurry. I am trying not to drive it if I dont have to. That being said it drives amazingly better........hardcore pick up and it doesnt loose pull even in high rpms like everyone says. Its just VERY annoying with the whine as im idle, and not giving it gas. It has to be a gasket, or a leak in one of the manifolds themselves....cause the hose lines and fittings are fine.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
crowebar said:
I did the upper, but not the lower ones yet.....I will do that later today or this week, im not really in too much of a hurry. I am trying not to drive it if I dont have to. That being said it drives amazingly better........hardcore pick up and it doesnt loose pull even in high rpms like everyone says. Its just VERY annoying with the whine as im idle, and not giving it gas. It has to be a gasket, or a leak in one of the manifolds themselves....cause the hose lines and fittings are fine.
Hello,

It sounds like a vacuum leak between two machined surfaces.

Thanks T.C.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
T.C. I replaced the lowers, and when I took off the old lower gaskets zomg they were screwed........put new ones on all over and she runs like a dream now. Thanks for all your help! Next I will be callin you all the time while im hookin up my assassin I plan on gettin from you, cause you know I have trouble reading your "directions" :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
you've already found it, but another problem some have had was with the bracket in front of the TB. the one that holds the hoses or something. some (myself included) have put the bracket between the TB and IM, when it should really go on the outside of the TB. but you found your issues so ya.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts