Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home and as soon as i stop my car (throw it into neutral and cruise into my spot) the rpms jumped a bit and then the car started barely idling, rpms bouncing like the ECU was trying to provide more fuel so the car would stay running, (also i saw my battery light sputter a few times) and when i start it back up it runs for about a half second then dies, but sometimes it holds on for longer than others, my guess is that its the MAF or spark related, any ideas?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Id look at the IAC first. If you keep your foot on the gas a little, does the problem stop?
alright so i unplugged the MAF sensor (and lost that little clip in the process, no idea where I'm gonna get a new one) and the car idled perfectly but very rich (i could smell a lot of gas) so i need to figure out how to clean the sensor?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaning is usually temporary. Id replace it and see what happens
i cleaned it and it runs great now, but i guess i should just buy a new one pretty soon, any idea how much they cost? and also where i can find that little clip that holds the sensor connector on?

·
Registered
244 Posts
We call those Jesus Clips because you have to pray to Jesus you find them when they go flying lol.

You could try a junk yard, or the dealer for a new connector. You wont find it in a parts store.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would make sure to buy an OEM MAF. Not sure where to get those these days other than the dealer, but do not be tempted to buy a cheaper aftermarket; it won't work.
gotcha thanks for the advice

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We call those Jesus Clips because you have to pray to Jesus you find them when they go flying lol.

You could try a junk yard, or the dealer for a new connector. You wont find it in a parts store.
i went the zip tie route for now, hoping to find somewhere that has them

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i went the zip tie route for now, hoping to find somewhere that has them
update, my maf went out again and i got stuck on the side of the road (luckily close to my house) im keeping the cleaner and a screwdriver in my glove box, im gonna order a new one soon

·
Registered
244 Posts
update, my maf went out again and i got stuck on the side of the road (luckily close to my house) im keeping the cleaner and a screwdriver in my glove box, im gonna order a new one soon
Some vehicles you can ride with it unplugged all together. It actually isnt all that vital to the engine running.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some vehicles you can ride with it unplugged all together. It actually isnt all that vital to the engine running.
alright so an update, the MAF sensor went completely out even after cleaning it a 2nd time, so i bought a new one (Blue Streak i believe) since hyundai wanted over 300$ for OEM and the one i bought was 50$

·
Registered
244 Posts
alright so an update, the MAF sensor went completely out even after cleaning it a 2nd time, so i bought a new one (Blue Streak i believe) since hyundai wanted over 300$ for OEM and the one i bought was 50$
So when it comes to parts like that, you tend to get what you pay for. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you end up spending more money than you would have if just purchased an oem part.

NGK/NTK, Denso, Delphi and Bosche are OE manufacturers 99% of the time. I would pick one of those if not buying oem, priority in order listed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So when it comes to parts like that, you tend to get what you pay for. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you end up spending more money than you would have if just purchased an oem part.

NGK/NTK, Denso, Delphi and Bosche are OE manufacturers 99% of the time. I would pick one of those if not buying oem, priority in order listed.
ok thanks, if i start having issues with this Blue Streak one ill definitely get one of those

·
Registered
163 Posts
OEM MAF should not be $300. Check dealers in your country not just state. I found my local dealer is a rip-off with parts cost, but a dealer in Florida offers them for 30-40% cheaper. I’ll call local to get part # verified with my VIN then shop around. Also check the Hyundai OEM dot com places. You’ll see they are linked to actual dealerships. That’s what I do, and I’ve had great luck getting OEM for a reasonable price. I believe you also gotta hit the drive cycle to properly get the MAF to take and clear your code. So at first it might work, but week later issue returns cause you’ve reached the drive cycle.
But yeah... buy good stuff or you’ll regret it! GL!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OEM MAF should not be $300. Check dealers in your country not just state. I found my local dealer is a rip-off with parts cost, but a dealer in Florida offers them for 30-40% cheaper. I’ll call local to get part # verified with my VIN then shop around. Also check the Hyundai OEM dot com places. You’ll see they are linked to actual dealerships. That’s what I do, and I’ve had great luck getting OEM for a reasonable price. I believe you also gotta hit the drive cycle to properly get the MAF to take and clear your code. So at first it might work, but week later issue returns cause you’ve reached the drive cycle.
But yeah... buy good stuff or you’ll regret it! GL!
ive driven it around 200 or more miles since the MAF install, everything seems to be working fine, at first my idle was being weird, a few weird pops and stuff but that was it, and every once in a while when i go from reverse into neutral my rpms drop and then kick back up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts