Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so when I let my car sit in the garage for extended periods of time ranging for a week or two to a month or two. My dad insists just starting it and letting it idle for fifteen twenty mins. Is good to where I think I needs to be drove a mile or two around the block to circulate oil in my valves other wise it all drains out of the lifter and makes a loud clicking sound...driving it corrects this problem(no my lifters arnt bad) what's other peoples opinions preferable people that know from first hand exsperiance or are mechanices also keep in mind the car isn't insured so driving it more then around the block isn't a option

·
Super Moderator
8,612 Posts
Try and keep the gas tank full/close to full. This reduces the chance of condensation forming in the tank which can lead to rust (which can make holes in the gas tank and also let the filter pick up the rust, clogging it).
May want to buy some Stabil for the gas, helps it keep from going "flat".

Running the engine for ~15 minutes at a high idle will move the oil around (which is good) and help boil off some of the water in the oil.
It also dries out the exhaust which is also good.

Driving it is the best. This can clean off the rust on the brakes, moves the trans gears and keeps the grease moving in the half shafts, wheel bearings, etc.

To help out the battery, get a "BatteryTender" (it's a brand name) and leave it hooked up to the battery. Your clock, alarm, etc. always drains the battery as well as the battery can die even with no load on it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
This is what I do when I park my car for the winter:

Fill tires to 40psi to prevent/reduce flat spotting
Fill gas tank and add a can of seafoam at gas station so it has a chance to get pumped to injectors on way home
Hook up battery tender
Change oil before parking
Make sure its clean

I don't start and run it until I'm ready to take it out again. Running the engine for a short time may not allow it to reach normally operating temp and may just cause condensation to accumluate. Especially if the running is at idle with no load, takes an excessive time to warmup. The engine is spinning at it lowest speed thus oil pressure and volume are at their least.

If you want to prime the oil system and pressure before starting, you could pull the fuel pump fuse/relay and crank the engine some to build pressure and fill hla's before first fire up. Like 3 five second sessions with a bit of time between to let battery recover and starter to cool.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys thanks for the info

1 - 4 of 4 Posts