Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange squeaking/scraping noise from front wheel

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:12 pm
My 2008 series III coupe is intermittently making a strange squeaking/scraping noise from the front right side around the wheel. The noise seems to come on after the car has been run a few minutes, it repeats in proportion to road speed and maybe sounds once per revolution. It only comes on when decelerating or driving at constant speed. It disappears immediately with any acceleration, even gentle. It also seems to disappear when taking a right hand curve in the road.
The car is LHD and is used in France. About 18 months and 3000km ago, it gave the same noise and the local Hyundai agent dismantled and rebuilt the front brakes with no result. They then seemed to cure the problem by, if my french is accurate, tightening the hub bearing. The noise disappeared until recently. My local (Peugeot) agent has tightened the hub bearing again, but it has not stopped the noise. It does not seem to be a wheel bearing.
Any ideas, please? Could it be the constant velocity drive joint?

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the problem disappears when you take a turn, I'd suspect the wheel bearing on the side being unloaded by the turn. In your case that would be the left hand wheel bearing. I had this problem, not on a Tib, on an old car I had and was confirming the issue with a bit of hard cornering and got a ticket for it. The policeman wasn't buying the excuse that I was trying to diagnose a bearing issue. I'm not that familiar, yet, with the Tiburon's suspension so I may be completely off base.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have had wheel bearing problems in the past, but they always gave a continous noise, which I agree, sometimes stopped on cornering. This noise goes on and off, for probably, a small part of each time the wheel rotates.

·
Administrator
9,080 Posts
I've had problems with my front brake dust shields rubbing in the past.
+1.

I have also had:
-Pad shims scraping the rotor (usually the rust ring that builds up on the rotor OD)
-Rotor dust shield scrape
-Worn pad
-Dragging pad
-Excessive rust ring on rotor (inner braking area or outer braking area)

"Might" be a failing CV or wheel bearing.

You should NEVER have to "tighten" a wheel bearing (after a proper install). If it really "fixes things", then the wheel bearing is likely on it's way out and can only be replaced.
To check some of this, jack up each front wheel and give it the wiggle test to check for play.

Reactions: oni888

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. The brakes have been stripped and rebuilt by the Hyundai agents. Dust shields checked. No wiggle in the wheel bearings. The strange thing, it makes the noise under light cruising at a constant speed, or when decelerating. It always disappears immediately upon any amount of accaleration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Strange squeaking/scraping noise from front wheel

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:12 pm
My 2008 series III coupe is intermittently making a strange squeaking/scraping noise from the front right side around the wheel. The noise seems to come on after the car has been run a few minutes, it repeats in proportion to road speed and maybe sounds once per revolution. It only comes on when decelerating or driving at constant speed. It disappears immediately with any acceleration, even gentle. It also seems to disappear when taking a right hand curve in the road.
The car is LHD and is used in France. About 18 months and 3000km ago, it gave the same noise and the local Hyundai agent dismantled and rebuilt the front brakes with no result. They then seemed to cure the problem by, if my french is accurate, tightening the hub bearing. The noise disappeared until recently. My local (Peugeot) agent has tightened the hub bearing again, but it has not stopped the noise. It does not seem to be a wheel bearing.
Any ideas, please? Could it be the constant velocity drive joint?
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I’m having the same problem with my 2006 Tiburon. As soon as I hit the gas pedal, the squeaking stops. The squeaking seems to be most prevalent when I’m idling or in park. I hope to get the answer to this annoying issue soon! 🤞🏼

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im 99% sure its the wheel bearing had the exact same problem a year ago. Raised the car and spun the wheel. Also tried shaking the wheel but No play. I tried removing the nut holding the bearing and i felt THE bearing Ran dry. I would reccomend dissasembling and feeling for play or scraping.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I’m having the same problem with my 2006 Tiburon. As soon as I hit the gas pedal, the squeaking stops. The squeaking seems to be most prevalent when I’m idling or in park. I hope to get the answer to this annoying issue soon! 🤞🏼
This does not sound like the same issue, and the OP hasn't been seen on here in 6 years. Don't bump old threads, make a new one and reference this one if needed.

Now, if you're getting sound without moving (like you say while stopped or in park) then it's something engine related, not anything to do with the wheels/brakes etc. Probably you have a squeaky pulley (power steering pump, possibly another one) meaning you need to adjust your belt(s) if you have a 4-cylinder car, or possibly check the power steering system or replace a pulley that's making noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts