Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.......If I get an air/fuel monitor and try some street tuning, what air/fuel ratio is ideal?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I have always thought 14.7 to 1 was ideal for N/A but alot of the guys here say they made mroe power at 13 somthing.....

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
14.7:1 Is stoich. that means you have exactly the right ammount of air and fuel that everything will burn 100% and there will be no leftover air or fuel. The problem with this is 2 fold. A) stoich is rather detonation prone, therefore requiring you to turn back your ignition advance. B) the burning of fuel happens soooo fast in the internal combustion engin that there is not enough time for 100% burn to happen at stoich. that's why you add a little extra fuel that way the excess fuel helps to burn all of the available air and helps to make the process much less detonation prone allowing more ignition advance. the little bit of extra fuel is then "scrubbed out" by your catalytic converter. that's why car's without cat's always reek like raw gas and occationally have flames shoot out their exhaust. the raw super heated fuel his the atmosphere with lots of available oxygen and instantly ignites. To answer your question the best air fuel ration is dependant upon your mod's and seems to be differant for every vehicle, somewhere around 13:1 seems to be a good starting point.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.....looking to get a wide band in the next few months and will start out around 13:1

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
199$ is without a gauge.....with that there is no way to read it.
399$ for the one with a read-out.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
03tibsc said:
199$ is without a gauge.....with that there is no way to read it.
399$ for the one with a read-out.
It plugs into your laptop then you have a nice big gauge.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
is this still good for a nos run? what a/f ratio should you be at while using nos?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
If you're looking for a good deal for LC-1.. www.dynotunenitrous.com

They're having a sale on the LC-1 plus either their small square guage or a traditional 2 1/16 round guage.

This is the setup that I went with.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the LM-1 with the RPM kit
it can monitor 5 signal like TPS, RPM, Boost, IAT oil presure plus the O² sensor it logs up to 44minutes of data in the box
then you plug it in a PC to analyse the data with the Inovate software the maps can be view in 2D or 3D you can also view the data in replay or real time with a virtual dash very useful for street tunning

·
Registered
962 Posts
My buddy has a A/F gauge and it jumps a lot like when he is WOT and then shifts. Is this normal or is there something wrong?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
He's got a narrow band air fuel gauge, they work off your stock O2 sensor and they're basicly worthless. not much more than a light show.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
riggs1088 said:
My buddy has a A/F gauge and it jumps a lot like when he is WOT and then shifts. Is this normal or is there something wrong?

You mean the inaccurate light show... totally useless.. Wideband is a totally different beast.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just asking so when you get a fuel/tuner, do you need to also get a wideband with it or is it a totally seperate device, some guy is confusing the crap out of me with this trash he keeps telling me?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
nightdarkness04 said:
Just asking so when you get a fuel/tuner, do you need to also get a wideband with it or is it a totally seperate device, some guy is confusing the crap out of me with this trash he keeps telling me?
Thanks
NO... you don't have to buy a wideband when you purchase your fuel tuner. A wideband would just make it easier for you to monitor your A/F so that you can tune yourself out on the street.

But dyno tuning is definitely recommended.

·
Registered
91 Posts
NO... you don't have to buy a wideband when you purchase your fuel tuner. A wideband would just make it easier for you to monitor your A/F so that you can tune yourself out on the street.

But dyno tuning is definitely recommended
Alright cool, another thing, is when i took it to the shop to get put on, the guy said that installing it with the weather changing, would make my car run like crap, he said i needed a wideband to over run the sensers. my questoin, will my car run ****** with the weather changing?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts