Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Re: DIY: Strut & Spring Install

If you extended the rear seat belts and then tied a knot in them how did they become stuck? The purpose of this is to keep them from retracting all the way which gets them stuck.
LOL, that's cuz I ignored this step. I'll work on this when it stops snowing! Thanks a lot bro! :3_smile:

Has anyone found a problem taking off the middle bolt on top of the strut tower?
It shouldn't be too hard. Make sure you lay it down and put something in front of it so nothing ends up flying when you unbolt it. If that made any sense at all.

Discussion starter · #24 ·

Has anyone found a problem taking off the middle bolt on top of the strut tower?

If you loosen it up a bit before you pull the assembly out of the wheel well area then you shouldn't have a problem. If you've already dropped the assembly outta the wheel well area then you want to have the spring compressors on and hold the assembly down while loosening the top nut.
this is easier if you have a second set of hands or step on it with your foot.

Great DIY. I have 2 basic questions. I have a 2003 tiburon with 85K miles on it:
1.) When should I replace struts? How can I tell when driving that struts need to be replaced?
2.) Should springs be replaced when struts are replaced? I'm not into high performance but just want to maintain good suspension.

Great DIY. I have 2 basic questions. I have a 2003 tiburon with 85K miles on it:
1.) When should I replace struts? How can I tell when driving that struts need to be replaced?
2.) Should springs be replaced when struts are replaced? I'm not into high performance but just want to maintain good suspension.
If you haven't replaced your struts and you already put 85k, that's a lot of pressure you're putting on your struts if you lower it. IMO, I don't think it will last you a very long time. I would suggest replacing your struts at the same time you lower your car. :)

thanks for the DIY, just finished dropping the car, turned out amazing
I'm glad to hear that! I would ask for pictures but you only have 1post! :3_winkthu

Just attempted to install kyb struts and eibach springs, sadly I wasn't even able to get the stock struts/springs out. On the rear the bolts became seized and was scared of stripping them. On the front the endlinks just kept turning, tried putting a wrench in the boot but it still kept turning. Guess I gotta have a shop do it :/.

Just attempted to install kyb struts and eibach springs, sadly I wasn't even able to get the stock struts/springs out. On the rear the bolts became seized and was scared of stripping them. On the front the endlinks just kept turning, tried putting a wrench in the boot but it still kept turning. Guess I gotta have a shop do it :/.
Do you have the spring compressor? You put the compressor on the OEM's then you unbolt so you don't hurt yourself.

His problem is he can't even get them out from underneath the car to need to compress them. They're stuck to the sway bar, etc.
Oh, I guess I misunderstood his statement. If you have pictures of what you're trying to do, I can try to help you. Don't take it to the shop, the shop are going to charge up the *** for an installation. But, if you don't want to do it yourself, guess you can take it to the shop anyway. It's your money!

His problem is pretty simple after looking at his location - he has the same problem I had...his stuff is probably rusty and stripped and he can't separate the new struts from the endlinks - living in MA caused the problem for me, so I just bought new endlinks since I was putting on new sway bar and removed everything from the bushing location, and just yanked everything as one piece.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.