Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the STS univesal turbo any good?.....it mounts right behind the rear axle......is it good or is it trash?...

edit....im having a hard time finding a turbo kit for my 2.7 tib besides the alpine or NGM stealth..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt?.......thats probably just for the i4 then.....that lowers me to hjust the stealth turbo.

any others?.....i heard the STS one is pretty decent......i just need to be pointed in the right direction....is there a garrett model that will fit on my 2.7?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
yea the alpine is for the i4 only, but go with the stealth it the best and only kit made for the v6, thats the one im going with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know....i just wanna play the market a little.....i wanna see if there are other turbos available....

doesn't garrett make any good ones for the v6?...or do you have to alter them to get them to work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,879 Posts
You should do more research on the STS. Those kits are top notch, and making hella power. The base kit bolted up to an LS1 Camaro produces 100whp.... Although there is no STS for the Tib, it would be sure to make some serious power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
05GT said:
You should do more research on the STS. Those kits are top notch, and making hella power. The base kit bolted up to an LS1 Camaro produces 100whp.... Although there is no STS for the Tib, it would be sure to make some serious power.

there's a universal turbo from STS that mounts near the rear axle......

http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_system
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im thinking about doing custom so i can get more power....but wouldnt that just cost more for all the stuff separate?......

plus...im sorta iffy on that...as im still in the learning phase about how to build custom turbos..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you guys think that would be better then the stealth nd garrett turbos?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
click on installation picks link on the STS universal turbo..page.........i wanna do that rear axle twin turbo...lol..

edit......i was debating between assassin or a turbo......assassin would be an easier install..but its expensive as hell...and everyone on here has it...i wanna do something unique...

im probably gonna end up turbo.....STS seems pretty damn good so far...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
I would try it out it looks like a pretty unique design, but you dont know how well the tib is going to react to a kit that is "universal" and not actually designed for a specific application. Do they have anything on the site like a dyno sheet of it working on a smaller displacement 6 cylinder motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
flatblackstrat said:
I would try it out it looks like a pretty unique design, but you dont know how well the tib is going to react to a kit that is "universal" and not actually designed for a specific application. Do they have anything on the site like a dyno sheet of it working on a smaller displacement 6 cylinder motor.

how about garrett.....there's no 2.7l displacement turbocharger?....

i cant adjust a turbo for a diff displacement...like 2.0l or 3.0 l for the 2.7 v6 can i ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
That kit is crazy and all, but on the pics of the underbody of the Cobalt it looks like the Turbo pipe would drag if you went over a bump. Go with the Stealth, it is already done and no guess work on where to put stuff and R&D is done.

One question - If you have a rear axle turbo and the engine is in the front, wouldn't you get more lag due to the long lengths of all the tubes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
garrett does not make any turbo kits for our cars, you can buy a garrett turbo and make a custom system out of it, otherwise the only actual kit made for the 2.7 is the NGM stealth. i thought boostology was gonna make us one but i guess that fell through.

JBLover said:
One question - If you have a rear axle turbo and the engine is in the front, wouldn't you get more lag due to the long lengths of all the tubes?
yup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was just thinking about the lag too.......is the piping what causes the lag?

there are HKS ball bearing turbos....based of the garrett turbos.....and they are universal...from the last link there

i dunno.....how much boost do you think the stealth can produce with a rebuilt bottom end .etc...

im shooting for big numbers......like around 380-400 hp...maybe even more....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,879 Posts
seedweed23 said:
i was just thinking about the lag too.......is the piping what causes the lag?

there are HKS ball bearing turbos....based of the garrett turbos.....and they are universal...from the last link there

i dunno.....how much boost do you think the stealth can produce with a rebuilt bottom end .etc...

im shooting for big numbers......like around 380-400 hp...maybe even more....
The Stealth hit the 400 mark and kept going...

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70298
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top