Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

STS universal turbo?

3K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  wxman25 
#1 ·
is the STS univesal turbo any good?.....it mounts right behind the rear axle......is it good or is it trash?...

edit....im having a hard time finding a turbo kit for my 2.7 tib besides the alpine or NGM stealth..

#3 ·
it doesnt?.......thats probably just for the i4 then.....that lowers me to hjust the stealth turbo.

any others?.....i heard the STS one is pretty decent......i just need to be pointed in the right direction....is there a garrett model that will fit on my 2.7?

#5 ·
i know....i just wanna play the market a little.....i wanna see if there are other turbos available....

doesn't garrett make any good ones for the v6?...or do you have to alter them to get them to work?

#6 ·
You should do more research on the STS. Those kits are top notch, and making hella power. The base kit bolted up to an LS1 Camaro produces 100whp.... Although there is no STS for the Tib, it would be sure to make some serious power.

#8 ·
05GT said:
You should do more research on the STS. Those kits are top notch, and making hella power. The base kit bolted up to an LS1 Camaro produces 100whp.... Although there is no STS for the Tib, it would be sure to make some serious power.

there's a universal turbo from STS that mounts near the rear axle......

http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_system

#9 ·
im thinking about doing custom so i can get more power....but wouldnt that just cost more for all the stuff separate?......

plus...im sorta iffy on that...as im still in the learning phase about how to build custom turbos..

#12 ·
do you guys think that would be better then the stealth nd garrett turbos?

#13 · (Edited)
click on installation picks link on the STS universal turbo..page.........i wanna do that rear axle twin turbo...lol..

edit......i was debating between assassin or a turbo......assassin would be an easier install..but its expensive as hell...and everyone on here has it...i wanna do something unique...

im probably gonna end up turbo.....STS seems pretty damn good so far...

#14 ·
I would try it out it looks like a pretty unique design, but you dont know how well the tib is going to react to a kit that is "universal" and not actually designed for a specific application. Do they have anything on the site like a dyno sheet of it working on a smaller displacement 6 cylinder motor.

#15 ·
flatblackstrat said:
I would try it out it looks like a pretty unique design, but you dont know how well the tib is going to react to a kit that is "universal" and not actually designed for a specific application. Do they have anything on the site like a dyno sheet of it working on a smaller displacement 6 cylinder motor.

how about garrett.....there's no 2.7l displacement turbocharger?....

i cant adjust a turbo for a diff displacement...like 2.0l or 3.0 l for the 2.7 v6 can i ?

#16 ·
#17 ·
That kit is crazy and all, but on the pics of the underbody of the Cobalt it looks like the Turbo pipe would drag if you went over a bump. Go with the Stealth, it is already done and no guess work on where to put stuff and R&D is done.

One question - If you have a rear axle turbo and the engine is in the front, wouldn't you get more lag due to the long lengths of all the tubes?

#18 · (Edited)
garrett does not make any turbo kits for our cars, you can buy a garrett turbo and make a custom system out of it, otherwise the only actual kit made for the 2.7 is the NGM stealth. i thought boostology was gonna make us one but i guess that fell through.

JBLover said:
One question - If you have a rear axle turbo and the engine is in the front, wouldn't you get more lag due to the long lengths of all the tubes?
yup.

#19 ·
i was just thinking about the lag too.......is the piping what causes the lag?

there are HKS ball bearing turbos....based of the garrett turbos.....and they are universal...from the last link there

i dunno.....how much boost do you think the stealth can produce with a rebuilt bottom end .etc...

im shooting for big numbers......like around 380-400 hp...maybe even more....

#20 ·
seedweed23 said:
i was just thinking about the lag too.......is the piping what causes the lag?

there are HKS ball bearing turbos....based of the garrett turbos.....and they are universal...from the last link there

i dunno.....how much boost do you think the stealth can produce with a rebuilt bottom end .etc...

im shooting for big numbers......like around 380-400 hp...maybe even more....
The Stealth hit the 400 mark and kept going...

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70298

#21 ·
how much is the stealth?

do u think i can hit 400-450whp with a rebuilding and installing a universal turbo...like the one from HKS or the STS?....

i might just end up going stealth if i cant'....get those numbers with these other turbo's.....

how much does the NGM stealth kit cost...i've loked on the ngm website...but the think NEVER FRIIKIN works.....any info on pricing and info on stealth?....as compared to thes other universal turbos???...thanks

#22 ·
seedweed23 said:
how much is the stealth?

do u think i can hit 400-450whp with a rebuilding and installing a universal turbo...like the one from HKS or the STS?....

i might just end up going stealth if i cant'....get those numbers with these other turbo's.....

how much does the NGM stealth kit cost...i've loked on the ngm website...but the think NEVER FRIIKIN works.....any info on pricing and info on stealth?....as compared to thes other universal turbos???...thanks
Stealth is $3895

You're looking at alot more than that to get those universal setups installed and working.

#23 ·
the one by the rear axles, that's a lot of extra piping. It just seems weird being back there. But it is also cool being it is so different .

#24 ·
i would probably go with the STS turbo near the rear axle if it doesn't lag too much...and if its around the equivilant price as the stealth turbo kit.....

but if its gonna be more than the stealth.......i can just save the cash and go with the stealth..

are all these universal kits cooleded by an FMIC........?......is the stealth cooled by the FMIC...or do i have to set up a custom ice box or something?....i heard the FMIC isnt as affective as the ice box also..?

#25 ·
seedweed23 said:
i would probably go with the STS turbo near the rear axle if it doesn't lag too much...and if its around the equivilant price as the stealth turbo kit.....

but if its gonna be more than the stealth.......i can just save the cash and go with the stealth..

are all these universal kits cooleded by an FMIC........?......is the stealth cooled by the FMIC...or do i have to set up a custom ice box or something?....i heard the FMIC isnt as affective as the ice box also..?
go to the sponsor section for NGM... all of these questions have been answered in there.

#26 ·
seedweed23 said:

The icebox has to be better. The stealth you dont here much about but it is a nice setup.i would go with that, since you will have someone that made the kit for a Tiburon and someone who knows everything about tiburons. Also you can call Tim anytime and he will help out. Way better then going with a system made for any car and the people who made it can not tell crap about a Tiburon. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.