Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i've had my tib for three years now and the clutch blew. It took me soooooooooooooooooo long to save up for a new clutch and fw. I'm Finaly getting them installed today when i get a call from the shop. It seems i've ordered the wrong FW. Here i was all day long thinking i was gonna finaly get my tib back. (been without her for about four months now) What a buch of crap! I must be the only tib owner that actualy needs the freakin HY3 Flywheel on my car. So the shop told me they weren't going to waite for me to order the other part myself and went ahead and orded the part i need. I wonder if ultra rev will take this HY5 back? if not check for a brand new flywheel in the parts for sale section here real soon! Anywho just felt like ranting and also if anyone else out there uses the HY3 let me know. I was assured that the HY5 would fit by everyone i talked to and even read a post on here where sombody was claming the HY3 to be a manufactoring mistake, also stating that they dont know why our vinders continue to carry this item if it cant be used. Well obviously the FW is still needed and the HY3 is not a mistake. So for anyone who is buying a FW with a build date in the 02's should call hyundai and make sure of the part you need. That is all
Tim

·
Banned
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is some bull, i just got the hy3 and now my clutch doesnt line up. Just for the reccord you cant use a sprung hub with the hy3. Now i'm outside return policy and have a cm stage 1 that wont fit. So the mech told me he cant have my car on the lift anylonger, so he ordered me an oem clutch kit. If anything can go wrong it will in my case. So i'm gonna have to pay twice for install if i want to go with stage1 and thats after i pay for an unsprung hub. This whole ordeal has cost me well over 2k, asuming i wont be able to return the parts to ultrarev. F****** bull S***. If anyone else has gone through all this let me know. Sorry for the rant

·
Registered
44 Posts
lets say that clutch and flywheel started acting up like 2 months after i bought my car... and only had 2,000 miles on it.. 800 was driving from indiana to new york with it in cruise most of the way... then all the sudden my clutch was acting up and i drove it to the closest dealership (45 mins away).... they inspected it and told me i needed a new clutch kit and flywheel... and that its not covered under warranty and i have to pay for it and it costs $2,300... i said fuc* no.. let me get my car towed to my house and ill fix it myself... he said it would cost me $800 still for the labor to find out what was wrong with my car... so i said **** it.. i got a loan and had them put an OEM clutch kit and flywheel back in... im still frustrated about it... i pay $120 a month on that loan when i feel it should have been covered under warranty

·
Read Only
0 Posts
To the original poster...if you have a 2003 (which it sound like) and you know there is an issue with the HY5 vs HY3, why did you not check your build date on your car before ordering? I bet if you go check the build date (on the inside of the driver's door) you will see you have one of the first tibs manufactured. The HY3 hasn't been used on the tibs in a LOONG time.

I'm sorry, but your ignorance is no reason for a rant. Do you research next time.

·
Registered
825 Posts
that sucks that your out the money but this is why the old saying measure twice cut once comes to mind. When your dealing with a car you have to research alot

·
Banned
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HAHA i checked everything i could. Called Hyundai, they didnt know which one i needed and of course only reccomended me buy their 800 oem one. So i called ultrarev, the guy there assured me the hy5 would fit, if not to send it back in exchange for the hy3. No problem there. Get the HY3 today and now it doesnt line up with the clutch i purchased, so i had hyundai send an oem cluch kit which we get 10 min later and it also doesnt line up with the HY3 FW. This is after a phone call with fidanza telling me that their FW is made to line up with an oem clutch (does anyone anywhere know what they are talking about?). Sooooooooooooooooooo now i guess i have to order the CM flywheel for my cm clutch to fit, but that doesnt make any sence cause everybody and their dog runs CM fidanza setup on this sight. So just to make sure before ordering i called CM today and asked if they have two different sized FW's for my car cause i'm afraid to order one thats just like the HY5 (teeth wont line up with stock FW) and this duech says "I'm possitive they dont make two different FW's for your car and i've SOLD this forever." Key word being sold so he has no clue wtf he's talking about. Just for the reccord i've had this clutch problem over 6 months now and did a good 4 months or research before ordering anything. Anyway i just would like ANYONE who has installed a clutch/FW to please, please, please help me. I've already spent 2k on this and dont want to spend anymore without advice from someone THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! And please dont add insult to injury if your input is not helpfull please dont post! Thanks
tim

·
Banned
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and to mologus or whatever, my "ignorance" is UltraRevs, Fidanza's, CM's, Hyundai's, and NT.com's Advice. So your saying all of those people are ingnorant as well...

·
Registered
433 Posts
this is what is stopping me from ordering my flywheel, my car was built in januarary of 02, so it should use the hy3, but alot of ppl say that the hy5 will fit all. wich makes sense because i dont see how it could that different, i mean how could it what else did they change on the motors other than the flywheel? and how is it that the ripp flywheel fits on all yr tibs? this just doesnt make sense to me, i heard that the outter ring is to small and ur starter teeth will get chewed up, sso does that mean they made 2 diff starters also? because the same starter wouldnt work on a stock car with the hy3 and another stock car with the stock car with an hy5 flywheel.

·
Registered
225 Posts
HAHA i checked everything i could. Called Hyundai, they didnt know which one i needed and of course only reccomended me buy their 800 oem one. So i called ultrarev, the guy there assured me the hy5 would fit, if not to send it back in exchange for the hy3. No problem there. Get the HY3 today and now it doesnt line up with the clutch i purchased, so i had hyundai send an oem cluch kit which we get 10 min later and it also doesnt line up with the HY3 FW. This is after a phone call with fidanza telling me that their FW is made to line up with an oem clutch (does anyone anywhere know what they are talking about?). Sooooooooooooooooooo now i guess i have to order the CM flywheel for my cm clutch to fit, but that doesnt make any sence cause everybody and their dog runs CM fidanza setup on this sight. So just to make sure before ordering i called CM today and asked if they have two different sized FW's for my car cause i'm afraid to order one thats just like the HY5 (teeth wont line up with stock FW) and this duech says "I'm possitive they dont make two different FW's for your car and i've SOLD this forever." Key word being sold so he has no clue wtf he's talking about. Just for the reccord i've had this clutch problem over 6 months now and did a good 4 months or research before ordering anything. Anyway i just would like ANYONE who has installed a clutch/FW to please, please, please help me. I've already spent 2k on this and dont want to spend anymore without advice from someone THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! And please dont add insult to injury if your input is not helpfull please dont post! Thanks
tim
IMO your mechanic is an "A" hole "I love those grease monkeys"lOl
the OEM clutch is unsprung "make sure the one he ordered is" so it should mate perfectly with the flywheel, but I'm sure your CM one is just fine with the HY3
Did you compare the stock flywheel ring gear hight with the HY5 or HY3 to positively identify with one you need
and LOOK here "please read" http://www.fidanza.com/Files/hyundai flywheel instructions copy.pdf

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
From what I was told, Hyundai was supposed to have a cutoff date for the earlier flywheel. SUbsequently several were produced after that proposed cutoff date, and hence the confusion as to what year fits HY3/HY5. It seems you bought your FW from Ultrarev (that's where I bought my Fidanza & CM stage 4), did you also get your clutch from them? Ultrarev should know which clutch will fit the HY3. I know how frustrating this has gotta be for you by now. Especially when you're stuck between the aftermarket source and the repair shop. There are very few tibs with the HY3, so it's gonna' create confusion.

·
Banned
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, None of this would be frustrating exept that i call three people to ensure parts will fit before i order them. and when they get here and dont fit i'm like wtf? To whoever asked, i did get the CM STG 1 with the sprung hub, that is why it doesnt fit the HY3. Knowing this i ordered it anyway and was going to have an OEM clutchkit installed. Called Fidanza and the assured me that every part they make is made to line up with OEM parts. Here is where i think my mechanic is maybe lost, but i dont see how ... Got the OEM part and it doesnt work with the HY3... He said the wholes dont line up in order to screw it together (or something like that i know jack about how cars work). He said it was close, but not close enough. Then he told me this is all because i'm using different parts from different manufaturers. So i told him i would order the CM FW, (will be here wed.) Now i'm 99.99999999% possitive that the teeth on the outside of the FW aren't going to line up with the OEM FW (same as difference between HY5 and HY3). But i guess i will find out. I might just end up having to go back to OEM which is an 800 dollar FW, also putting another defective clutch right back in my car. (<--- i might be wrong about that but if oem is defective replacing it with oem clutch and fw is the same right?) Needless to say at this point i dont care and just want to drive my car again. I will let ya'll know how this pans out just for information purposes. I'm sure nobody cares haha
Tim

·
Read Only
0 Posts
From what I was told, Hyundai was supposed to have a cutoff date for the earlier flywheel. SUbsequently several were produced after that proposed cutoff date, and hence the confusion as to what year fits HY3/HY5. It seems you bought your FW from Ultrarev (that's where I bought my Fidanza & CM stage 4), did you also get your clutch from them? Ultrarev should know which clutch will fit the HY3. I know how frustrating this has gotta be for you by now. Especially when you're stuck between the aftermarket source and the repair shop. There are very few tibs with the HY3, so it's gonna' create confusion.
I guess we will never have an exact date when they switched, but you have to know that if you have an early production tib (Jan 2002 and earlier), you have a high probability that you will need the hy3.

So to the original poster, what is your build date?

·
Banned
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just for the reccord the install is 459, and the oem clutch kit was 3hundred somethin, which the installer isnt gonna charge if he doesnt use. I dont think this guy is trying to screw me in any way, he is just wants to get this done cause he's sending customers elsewhere as he has my car tied up on one of his lifts. I ask him daily and he's not going to charge me anymore then 459 for install and will only charge for parts that he has to order. He may not know what he's doing, but he isn't trying to pull one over on me either.

·
Banned
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my build date is late october 02, i wanna say the 29th but i'm not possitive without checking my carfax but its right around that date. Whatever you do, keep all your reciepts and check return policies before buying ANYTHING! And good luck hope its easier for you then me!!!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
my build date is late october 02, i wanna say the 29th but i'm not possitive without checking my carfax but its right around that date. Whatever you do, keep all your reciepts and check return policies before buying ANYTHING! And good luck hope its easier for you then me!!!
Hmmm...you sure thats not October 01? October 02 seems late pretty late to be seeing an HY3 flywheel. I know quite a few people (including myself) that have a HY5 with build dates in April 2002. But again, Hyundai doesn't have any rhyme or reason.

·
Registered
629 Posts
so neither the hy3 or hy5 fit your car? WTF? I've got an 03 built in 11/01 so i have a feeling i'm going to have the same problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts