Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay. Let me start by saying I know nothing about cars.

My buddy sold me his old 2000 Tiburon last year. I've had dreams about this car since I first saw it. I love it. He put an after market air filter on it. He told me I had to make sure to clean it every once in awhile. He took great care of this car. Even dropped a new transmission and cat in it before selling it to me. (He found a nice 06 Tibby)

Anyways, I cleaned the filter and when I went to put it back on I noticed a wire with something on it just kind of dangling there. I'm assuming it was just kind of thrown into the tube. I put it back in and clamped it and about two weeks later the check engine light came on.

It wants to stutter and shut down at red lights, or if I'm in the drive through at the bank, I have to keep the brake and gas pressed down at the same time to keep it running and even then it fights me.

My buddy hooked it up to a computer and it read the following. (Didn't write specific codes, but this is exact wording.)

Random/multiple cylinder misfire.
Cylinder 1 misfire.
Cylinder 4 misfire.
Oh sensor circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2.
Pressure control solenoid circuit a malfunction.

Like I said, I know nothing about cars. The wire at the very end of whatever was dangling and inside the air filter tube kind of looks crimped. It's connected to a wire harness. I'm assuming it's the mass airflow. (I'll post a pic tomorrow.)

Prior to running the computer, I changed the transmission fluid. It was good. I checked the canister to make sure it didn't have gas in it as I read this could the culprit. I changed the fuel filter. I put new spark plugs in it with proper gap, a new coil pack. I'm doing wires and probably new spark plugs this weekend. I didn't know it was best to change them all together.

I just did a lot and I'm getting a brand new car and not getting any closer to the problem. I get scared because while the car is very well taken care of, it's got 190k miles on it. I only drive 2 or 3 miles a day. I just don't want this problem to wreck the engine before I drop a new engine in it next tax season.

Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be. I can't really afford to take it to a mechanic and get it fixed, although it would have probably been cheaper after all the money I've put in to no avail. Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: The spark plug wires for one and four are not crossed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm suspecting a massive vacuum leak. Do you hear a loud hissing sound under the hood near where the air filter connects to the engine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm suspecting a massive vacuum leak. Do you hear a loud hissing sound under the hood near where the air filter connects to the engine

I think I do hear a hissing. The other day I thought I heard a noise I hadn't really heard before. I didn't hear that noise when the problem first started, but the stuttering has gotten progressively worse. The noise I hear is equivalent of what steam sounds like when escaping pressure. I took a few pictures of what I found. I'll upload them momentarily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

This is the wire I spoke of just kind of thrown inside the air filter.

This is what that wire is connected to. This is just sitting inside between the air filter and the MAF. It wasn't the MAF as I originally guessed. The wires look a little crimped but I've seen worse.

This concerns me. I took the MAF off and this liquid was inside the tube that it was connected to. I'm not comfortable checking any further with my lack of knowledge.

Thank you for keying me in on a vacuum leak. I really think that is the problem now that I listen. I recall someone mentioning if all else fails I might have to get a new intake manifold gasket. I appreciate the help, and any further you may give!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the hissing noise is coming from near the Idle Air Control Valve. It sounds like it's coming from the two inch rubber hose that connects the ACV and the intake manifold?(I'm assuming that's what the big silver thing is.) I was wiggling the whole unit and noticed the idle changed. The thing is, I replaces both of the hoses and the hissing is still there. Could the ACV be cracked? I've tried silicone, soapy water, and ether and can not find this leak. I've had two people look at it, older home mechanics who generally know their stuff and even they are stumped. I guess I'll have no choice but to take it and get a smoke test. I'm hoping it's affordable.

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
Hi, do us all a favor, put details of your car and mods in a sig.

Is this a V6 or I4?

Looking at our 04 V6, I don't see the tube you're referring to. The IAC (typical abbreviation) is bolted to the throttle body, no hoses.
Give us a general picture, not so close up.

What intake tubes are stock? I know the V6 OEM tubes can crack. Hard to ind unless you remove them and bend while looking. Ours was cracked after the MAF causing some issues.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Vacuum leak sounds like a good possibility, if you can hear a specific location it is coming from, i.e. a fuel injector seal or intake manifold gasket, try spraying some ether or brake parts cleaner in that general direction to see if the engine bogs down or livens up, if it does one or the other, its probably a vacuum leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts