Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I need help and opinions…. In November I picked out my subs for my trunk set-up…. I had talked to the manager and set-up pick up arrangements and payment and anyway…to make a long story short….the VERY last 2 of these subs were set aside for me and labeled as sold and by accident over Christmas…another employee SOLD ONE of them!!! So now I am skrewed….I was getting an insane deal for these subs… and now just to buy one sub that is comparable is going to cost me the price I was paying for the pair. I really didn’t plan for this and money is an issue now.

Now I have to start all over….I have been to a few stores BUT everyplace seems to be biased and praises their products….The big stores wanna push the brand names and the smaller shops are telling me the not so popular brands are just as good and some are even better. I need help and some unbiased opinions….

I need 2 subs…preferably 12”… an RMS of 350 or higher and the lower the frequency the better. I don’t need a box because I am having a costume enclosure built in my trunk….just the subs. These 2 subs will be powered by a Kenwood 800 watt amp.

I have looked at many brands from JL, Treo, DB, Fusion, JBL, Infinity, and so on. But I am confused….EVERYONE TELLS ME DIFFERENT!!!

Can everyone tell me your opinions PLEASEEE!
I'd realllllly appreciate it! Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've always been a fan of the alpine type r's, but with that amp, you're gonna be underpowering them. The newer alpine type s is built very similar to the old type r, so you might want to look into those. I havn't heard them personally though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
satanhanx said:
I've always been a fan of the alpine type r's, but with that amp, you're gonna be underpowering them. The newer alpine type s is built very similar to the old type r, so you might want to look into those. I havn't heard them personally though.
Type S?? I am not familar with subs from alpine although i am very fmailar with their interior speakers...in fact i have the type x. Now I know in terms of speakers it goes S, R, X, The s being the beginner and X being the best speaker. Does this apply to the subs as well?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Infinity kappa perfect VQ 12DVC Subs
if you look around you can probably find them for less than 200 per.

They work real well with about 500 to each, so a good 1000D should work nicely. The do, however, still work well throwing only 350-400 per sub.

·
Registered
75 Posts
TiburonTemptress said:
Type S?? I am not familar with subs from alpine although i am very fmailar with their interior speakers...in fact i have the type x. Now I know in terms of speakers it goes S, R, X, The s being the beginner and X being the best speaker. Does this apply to the subs as well?

basically, yes. They also used to have a type e sub, which was the lowest end, but I'm pretty sure they stopped making it. I myself have a pair of the older style type r's, about 3 years old, and they thump hard. It's my understanding that the current type s very closely resembles the older style type r's. The current type r's are 500 watts rms, so you'd be underpowering them with your amp. The x's are even higher, 1000 rms i think. I think with the subs, you can't really call the x the best, and the s the worst. They just have different power handling capabilities. I'm a big fan of alpine speakers in general, cuz they're a perfect match of sound quality, loudness, and they're not too expensive.

·
AKA TidalWaveTiburon
768 Posts
Personally I love Eclipse Subs

·
Registered
22 Posts
satanhanx said:
basically, yes. They also used to have a type e sub, which was the lowest end, but I'm pretty sure they stopped making it. I myself have a pair of the older style type r's, about 3 years old, and they thump hard. It's my understanding that the current type s very closely resembles the older style type r's. The current type r's are 500 watts rms, so you'd be underpowering them with your amp. The x's are even higher, 1000 rms i think. I think with the subs, you can't really call the x the best, and the s the worst. They just have different power handling capabilities. I'm a big fan of alpine speakers in general, cuz they're a perfect match of sound quality, loudness, and they're not too expensive.
ive got a single underowered 12" type R and cant wait to push more through it...(right now its only running 350 RMS and it will be gettin 700)...people dont like to sit in my backseat....:D

·
Registered
653 Posts
For sound quality, it's hard to beat Boston and JL. But I will agree with 06Orangecrush... The Kicker Solo Baric subs give you some prety solid bump for your buck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Alpine FTW. I have an Alpine MRP-T220 250watt and 140RMS amp. And I also have a 10" Alpine Type R in a custom ported box by Alpine with dual voice coil. It POUNDS. When the amp is at full power all I get is bass, so I have it tones down to half power. It pounds on the inside and you cant even hear it on the outside. Alpine makes good products, so I would go with them.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
In the past I have had some older Sony Xplod's and they actually out performed my old Pioneer 12"s.
My current brand is the Diamond Audio,,,,,for components and when I have the $$ I'll be getting their subs as well. DA is not a cheap speaker though (my components ran $492 for front and rear)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmmmm there seems to be a alot of people who recommend Alpine. I know Alpine is good quality...i already have the Alpine type X 2 way front speakers and the Alpine CDA-9853 touch screen deck.
Just never heard much about their subs before... I will definitly look into it

Any more suggestions??

·
Registered
437 Posts
How much do you want to spend, and what type of sound are you looking for, Is brand and image an issue?. I could name atleast 30 good subs but it will be no help if you don't know what you want.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Delta976 said:
How much do you want to spend, and what type of sound are you looking for, Is brand and image an issue?. I could name atleast 30 good subs but it will be no help if you don't know what you want.
Like I said in my first post I want 12’ subs…350 RMS or higher and the lower the frequency responce, the better. I want something that pounds pretty good since I LOVE my bass. I am having 2 custom side enclosures built in my trunk, one on either side and so I want a 12’ sub in each. This will be done in the spring.

To give you a better idea, these 2 subs will be teamed up with:

2 Kenwood amps, a mono 800watt amp for the subs and a Kenwood eXcelon 4 channel amp to power my interior speakers. My interior speakers consist of Alpine type X 2 way front speakers and Focal Access 6x9 2way speakers in the rear. I also have a Bassworx power capacitor with digital readout.

I would consider 10’ subs if they did the job too….I’m open to all suggestions….

·
Registered
101 Posts

Check out these guys. I've been an installer and now purchaser for over 10 years and have never been more impressed all around from just 1 line. I'm yet to be disappointed with any of there products. Oh yeah, and I'm sponsored with them through my rep.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This is a little late, and you may have already got your subs, but with the wattage you have for the subs, two 12W6V2 rated at 400watts RMS each! Now the only problem is they come in a dual 4 OHM only, so unless your amp is putting out 800 watts at 4 OHMs or is putting out 800 watts at 1 OHM stable, then they may not work for you. What model # is your Kenwood amp for the subs? I have used the mentioned setup with only a 500/1 JL amp and it sounded awesome, hit clean and hard, so I know it will sound good, just have to make sure your amp is able to push them. L8R

1 - 18 of 18 Posts