Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok….I have encountered another mind stressing problem!!! LOL

I have a 03 GS-R tib with the infinity system. At this point in time all I have done to it is the sub re-wire modification and it sounds better.

BUT I also have some stuff from my old car that I want to transfer into this tib. I have a new Alpine head unit, Alpine type x front speakers, a 800w kenwood amp and a 1000watt JBL 12’ sub.

So here my question…..I know I can put in the head unit and speakers ok….but it’s the sub issue!!!
My friend told me that I cannot just install my JBL and run it with the stock 8’ as it will sound like crap and have a time difference….sooo now I need a new plan… I want my trunk to look clean…no big boxes…I would like to install another sub in the other corner to match the stock one….if I do this I guess ill have to sell of my JBL unless I can fit it in there?
So what type and size of sub will fit into this corner….do I have to get another 8 or can I go out and buy 2 10’ for each side?

I heard there was some fiberglass box that was made to go in that spot for another 8' and I could match both sides?

Does anyone know anything or can help me out?????

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would take the stock 8 out and put one 10 in there. I have 2 10's and in a hatch its alot. I never turn it up more then half way and it rumbles the cars next to me. I dont think an 8 and a 10 would time difference that much. The 8 slightly quicker maybe, but shouldnt be too noticible.

·
Pete: The Man
4,366 Posts
No. It WILL sound like poopy. Your ohms are more than likely completely different on the stock sub, and whatever model JBL sub you have. Nix the stock sub. It's not the greatest anyways. If you're in the market for a set of subs that are pretty nice, I actually have a set, but they're 12's. (Eclipse). It all depends on te sound you are wanting. I personally always go with AT LEAST 10's. 8's are for people who just want a little more bass than average, kinda like you get with a home theater system

·
4,366 Posts
And as to what you can do to make it look clean....the possibilities are vast. You can always have something custom made, or watch the sale section on here. There are always decent enclosures up for grabs. Hell, I just recently sold mine :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I would listen to him...he is the man. Im just the man who stands by the man.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
READY2PLAY said:
And as to what you can do to make it look clean....the possibilities are vast. You can always have something custom made, or watch the sale section on here. There are always decent enclosures up for grabs. Hell, I just recently sold mine :)

Alright...u always seem to have an answer for me!!! :3_smile: I should just PM you all the time..lol
Would 2 10's fit into the corners like the stock or similar? What about 2 12's?

as for sound..i loved my jbl...it was 12' and 1000watts and it pounded bass that mad..i love bass

·
4,366 Posts
lol. then you definately don't want to stick with that 8 :) Yes, 12's will fit in the sides. You will have to eiethr custom fab, or have custom fabbed boxes made though. Like I said, I have a set of 12's up for sale if you are interested. They are used Eclipse SW8122's. Not the newest, but they beat well. They retailed at almost $400 each.

But anyways, yes, I always have an answer :) For some reason, I always see your threads right away. Maybe I'm just online too much ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Like I said....he is the man....Im being a post whore today...hmmm

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
READY2PLAY said:
Pic of the subs I have:

thanks...ill have to make some calls and see who and where i can get custome made enclosures or whatever around here? hmm maybe fiberglass? would look nice

and if 12' do fit...hmmmm maybe i can just buy another 12' jbl to match mine? Might save money that way...let the search begin lol

·
4,366 Posts
That works too, lol. JBL are pretty decent subs. Good luck on your qust sweetie. Until the next time, take care ;)

·
4,366 Posts
nah...you just have to know how to shop :) I got two JL 12 W7's for under $500. That is the best freakin sub I have ever owned (aside from the 13.5 JL W7 I used to have)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I do mobile audio/video/security for a living. If you want it to pound and not take up space... get 10's. Ports sometimes make better and louder bass but you usually have to have a little larger box for ports.

I have two 10's and two 15's in my tiburon. I had to custom make a whole trunk box but anything is possible. Just finding the sound you want and space you want to consume is the first step. Need any help let me know...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I forgot to mention... I've never installed Orion or Eclipse... but I've heard a few systems with them in and they bass rather well. I personally have two Lanzar 15's... (can't seem to blow them no matter how hard I try.) and I have two 10" Power Acoustiks which are some amazing speakers. You just have to make sure they are hooked up right and have the PERFECT amp for them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree... I've seen more top dollar subs blowing sooner than what my Lansars have dealt with. I've blown and cracked plenty of speakers but it's like I said... as long as they are wired right and to the correct amp... you should be ok.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts