Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im new here. Ive had my 06 white auto 4 banger tibby for a little over a year, and just had some questions regarding mods to it.

Firstly, does modifying your car affect the warranty? If so, are there any mods that dont affect the warranty, because it is REALLY important to my parents lol.

Also what is the maximum size for wheels that the tib can support cleanly under the fenders. 18's probably, maybe 19's? And what thickness, i know stock for me is 205, the v6 gets 215, does anyone know off the top of their head?

Also i have an automatic, will that make mods difficult/ impossible? I was wondering about a CAI, ive heard you can waterlog your engine with it, and what kind of net gains can be achieved with it. I would really love to get some more power, but not by sacrificing my warranty! Thanks guys, i love the forum and wish i had found it sooner!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Most mods will have some affect on your warrenty in some way or another. The mod you do will most likely void that part of your warrenty IE if you put a CAI on your car and hydrolock your engine...the warranty wont cover it. Now there is a law inplace that states that they have to prove that an aftermarket part did the damage inorder to void your warrenty and a battle with the dealership is what you DONT want. Now if you go into the dealership to have your oil changed or warranty work on your rear suspension...your CAI/exhaust etc. should not void the warranty. I have a CAI and drive in rain alot and have had no issues. Hydrolock is a rare but real occurance. Dont drive thru 6 inch puddles and you should be fine.

If im not mistaken a set of 19's can fit under the tib without any issue (unknown about the tire size though...sorry).

Auto vs. Man doesnt make a difference mod wize. Obviousely you cant put a short shifter on an auto but you get the point. A CAI, exhaust, turbo, etc. should bolt up to your car just the same (im most applications).

Hope I could be of help and good luck! Welcome by the way!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
warranty wise the safest thing you can do is probably exhaust... and next to that intake... if you get intake and you have to take ur car in to get work done just put the stock intake back on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i would need to remove the CAI when going to the dealer, probably not that big of a deal. But what kind of gains would i get with one? And also is there some sound that comes from it, because i read somewhere that it sounds really cool.

I would love to get a turbo, like my cuzs wrx (that smug asswipe lol, damn does that car drive 1000x better than my tib in all ways), but that would set me back a couple grand, and mos definately void the warranty, well the powertrain at least probably.

And so if 19's would fit, probably with really low profile tires, would i need to lower the car to get rid of the fender gap? And if so, would that void some part of the warranty? See i want a firmer ride, although its pretty hard right now, but god, ive hit the bottom of the front bumper so maby times, im scared to get it lowered. I touched up the bottome like 2 months ago, then 2 weeks ago, WHAM, and i think i might of kinda loosend the front bumper, because the part where it attaches to the body is not flush, but whatev. Thanks in advance, because i need to sleep (insert non retarded smiley that has some reference to sleepiness lol)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome to the boards my fellow saiyan!

Now, you have I4 so I don't know what kinda gains you will get with a CAI. They are pretty noticeable. Check AEMs website for a dyno run. Remember also that the search button here on NT.com IS YOUR FRIEND!

Warranty - If you have a good relationship with the dealership, you should have no problems with I/E/suspension. If you can get in good with the shop manager, do it. That always helps! You live in Cali so headers will prob void it (and your inspection too). You want to go turbo so YES...that will VOID warranty and I don't know of a CARB exempt turbo package....but F/I is not my speciality so that might be a good search in the F/I forum.

Wheel size - This is just my opinion. Man, just stay at 18" or less. Anything more is gonna kill performance. The weight of the wheels alone will be horrible. Plus....I'm just not a big fan of 19" rims on a fwd sport compact car.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
u might wanna consider this:

u drive a 4 cylinder... not exactly a low end power band engine and the tib is already overweight for the i4. U might want to seriously look into getting maybe a 17 inch rim but get some lighter weight rims. if u look in the V6 NA section there should be a thread at the top with weights of parts on our cars. get something that weighs lighter than stock. That way u upgrade from 16's, looks better, and a little gain with less weight

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see what your saying, but 17's are kinda small, ive seen cars with 18's that look kinda small. What actually is bothering me about changing my wheels, is the damn tires. If i got some 225/40/18 or something simmiliar, it would cost like what, $100 a tire? I saw some great deals on ebay last night for wheels, but few of them came with tires, and whats worse, i would have to install them myself, and i just dont trust myself with anything lol. And then theres the fear that the tire will hit the outside of the fender (because i dont really know what the tibby can fit well), and i was looking inside the front wheel arch, and it actually looked like my ties are rubbing, or almost rubbing, against the suspension spring thing.

And then ontop of that there might be some hideous fender gap, and the last thing i want is to lower my car (my god that would be the end of the front bumper). Im so conflicted :3_confuse

·
Registered
898 Posts
Smaller rims are better in the long run. Besides if you boost later on and get slicks or radials, you'll need like 15's or 16's. No need to spend thousands on fancy 19" rims thats going to mae your ride really uncomfortable. My friend has an a4, at first he went with 19's and the handling sucked , so he went down to the S4 rims which made the ride so much better than 19's.

·
Registered
346 Posts
VEGETAble said:
I see what your saying, but 17's are kinda small, ive seen cars with 18's that look kinda small. What actually is bothering me about changing my wheels, is the damn tires. If i got some 225/40/18 or something simmiliar, it would cost like what, $100 a tire? I saw some great deals on ebay last night for wheels, but few of them came with tires, and whats worse, i would have to install them myself, and i just dont trust myself with anything lol. And then theres the fear that the tire will hit the outside of the fender (because i dont really know what the tibby can fit well), and i was looking inside the front wheel arch, and it actually looked like my ties are rubbing, or almost rubbing, against the suspension spring thing.

And then ontop of that there might be some hideous fender gap, and the last thing i want is to lower my car (my god that would be the end of the front bumper). Im so conflicted :3_confuse
I got a set of 17's on my car and they actually look pretty fine. Not too small, but not large and out of place either. Also look around online, I think there is a list of links to a bunch of rim websites in the Tire forum on this site. I got my 17's along w/ 4 kumho tires for 850 bucks shipped. Plus they mounted, balanced, and sent the lug nuts with them. All I had to do was take off my old ones and pop these ones on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts