Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is where my iPod transmitter is currently mounted. I like that position a lot because it's easy to get the iPod in and out of, it also is within easy reach and I can change the songs without taking my eyes far from the road ahead...

Now, that being said, I am going to be installing a single DIN DVD player with a pop-up screen that is going to open up into that very area, plus the new DVD receiver does have an Auxiliary input that I can use to connect to my iPod directly, so I don't need the FM transmitter at all anymore... so basically, I'll need some suggestions on where to put the iPod (so it doesn't fly around... don't like the idea of it just sitting loose on the mission plate). I do really like th FM Transmitter though because it also charges the iPod as well as holds it very securely, so I'm not averse to keeping it if that's the best option.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Keep in mind that the A/V input is 3 RCA type connectors (L & R + video) so I'll also need some ideas on what I can use to convert the iPod connector in the iPod to a L & R RCA jack.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Some of those wires that connect the IPOD and headunit together I believe do also charge the IPOD but Im not positive.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ohyaa69 said:
You should do the ashtray ipod integration that theres a DIY for. And as far as converting your Ipod dock connector to L R and Video theres a wire you can buy, its a little steep I think but you should be able to find it on ebay or something
Ya, I saw that one, and I may go that route but I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. The main thing I don't like about the "ashtray DIY" is that it sits so low. I am kind of looking for a way to mount it higher so the iPod closer to the field of view.

·
Banned
312 Posts
I don't have a short shifter, but I have plenty of clearance while shifting. I used a Belkins Connector, plugs into the dock connector, and then into a second cigarette lighter adapter I installed into the center console next to the shifter. Theres a 3.5mm audio-out connecter as well from that Belkins plug. Then it wires right into the back of my head unit through RCA's.

I made the leather liner myself, got bored on a rainy weeknight and went to town.. :)

·
Banned
312 Posts
Here's a better pic before I made the leather insert... to give you an idea of how tall the iPod is, and whether or not it'll interfere with your shifter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Or you could go for Pioneer DEH-P9800BT with the optional CDIB100II ipod connector. Now my pod is hidden in the glovebox, on charge and integrated.

Woo-Hoo

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Except I think my iPod would interfere with my hand on the shifter, because my shifter is much lower... unless I recess the connector by cutting a hole in the bottom of the cellphone holder. The problem would be allow the cord to recess when it's attached to the iPod, but preventing it from dropping down into the hole and getting lost in there when it's not connected to the iPod. What a pain this is turning out to be... It might be that the ashtray DIY is the only route...

·
Banned
312 Posts
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
Except I think my iPod would interfere with my hand on the shifter, because my shifter is much lower... unless I recess the connector by cutting a hole in the bottom of the cellphone holder. The problem would be allow the cord to recess when it's attached to the iPod, but preventing it from dropping down into the hole and getting lost in there when it's not connected to the iPod. What a pain this is turning out to be... It might be that the ashtray DIY is the only route...
Well, if you just cut a horizontal hole for the connector to sit into, all you'd have to when the ipod isn't connected is just twist the connector.

Although, I think it might be hard to access the buttons if its down that far.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GTea said:
Well, if you just cut a horizontal hole for the connector to sit into, all you'd have to when the ipod isn't connected is just twist the connector.

Although, I think it might be hard to access the buttons if its down that far.
Unless... I actually epoxy the connector to the bottom of the opening. I'd have to remove the locking clips that hold the connector to the iPod so it can just slip on an off, but if I installed it in the bottom of the cell phone holder at the same angle as the iPod would lean then I'd be able to just drop it in there, and connect it. I'd have to see how much room I'd have to push the buttons on the iPod, but that might be an option.

The other option I'm thinking of is very low-tech... a regular wire connector like you have but have it come out at the top of the mission plate and then just use a strip of velcro to hold the iPod on the mission plate.

·
Banned
312 Posts
ohyaa69 said:
VELCRO FTW!!! LOL Thats the only reason I steered away from the Jensen In-Dash great unit for a great price but not Ipod Integration. I love being able control my Ipod from the HU and just teh actual Ipod sit in the glove box out of site out of mind.
Yea.. on my next car I'll probably get something like that... but for now, I like this.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Just get the adapter that zebra is selling and do the ashtray diy. IMO that's the best looking and you can take the ipod out with you and hide the white dock so potential thieves don't see it. Also you get cd quality sound which is a HUGE plus. I never bought an fm module due to the constantly poor sound quality. Some people don't care as much, but I'd rather listen to my exhaust than scratchy Counting Crows or Frou Frou...

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tib Fighter2k3 said:
Just get the adapter that zebra is selling and do the ashtray diy. IMO that's the best looking and you can take the ipod out with you and hide the white dock so potential thieves don't see it. Also you get cd quality sound which is a HUGE plus. I never bought an fm module due to the constantly poor sound quality. Some people don't care as much, but I'd rather listen to my exhaust than scratchy Counting Crows or Frou Frou...
Thanks!!!!!

·
Banned
312 Posts
Tib Fighter2k3 said:
That isn't an FM Transmitter... its an RCA connection directly to the back of my headunit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Tib Fighter2k3 said:
Someone please tell me where to find one of these. I've read all the threads and searched for the group buy thread to no avail. I need to get one of these in order to hook and Ipod up to the stereo in my g/fs Tiburon. Please help. TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
ohyaa69 said:
VELCRO FTW!!! LOL Thats the only reason I steered away from the Jensen In-Dash great unit for a great price but not Ipod Integration. I love being able control my Ipod from the HU and just teh actual Ipod sit in the glove box out of site out of mind.
I prefer this and have something similar in my Tib. A Kenwood flipout headunit and a connector (not sure what the brand is) that connects into the rear of the headunit and then a wire goes into my glovebox where my iPod sits. I like this as it's out of sight and charges the iPod too.

Only thing I don't like is that the clickwheel on the iPod is a much faster way to search then with the headunit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts