Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'll admitt I was a little embarrased at the dealer the other day. Having never owned a tibby before, and buying the one we now have as a used car, I made an appointment at the dealer to get a few things fixed before I turn my daughter lose with the car. One of the things needing fixed was the sunroof. It seems like it's fallen out of adjustment. It chatters when closing it, and doesn't pull down tight in one corner when closed. Anyway, when going over the laundry list of things needing fixed, the service manager states, "Sir, you realize the sunroof is an aftermarket unit, right?" And I say, with a slightly red face, "No, I didn't". He goes on to say that they could look at it, but didn't know if they could do anything for me.

What's weird about this is that I've seen many, many Tibs with this same sunroof (glass goes back OVER the top of the roof, no in it). Is this the norm. How many of you have aftermarket sunroofs? Mine has a Webasto version, which luckily for me, has a dealer/servicer in my area. I'm hoping they can adjust it to pull down tight. Anyone else have a Webasto and had similar problems?

Another thing I learned at the dealer (the hard way) is that you could by a Tiburon, in 2004 non-the-less, WITHOUT a keyfob. I had just assumed the previous owner had lost the fob, so I picked one up off evilbay and took it in to the dealer for programming. $20 later, they tell me my car must not have been equiped with alarm/remote powerlocks because they couldn't get a fob to take programming. I seem to learn something new about this car everyday.

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ok, I'll admitt I was a little embarrased at the dealer the other day. Having never owned a tibby before, and buying the one we now have as a used car, I made an appointment at the dealer to get a few things fixed before I turn my daughter lose with the car. One of the things needing fixed was the sunroof. It seems like it's fallen out of adjustment. It chatters when closing it, and doesn't pull down tight in one corner when closed. Anyway, when going over the laundry list of things needing fixed, the service manager states, "Sir, you realize the sunroof is an aftermarket unit, right?" And I say, with a slightly red face, "No, I didn't". He goes on to say that they could look at it, but didn't know if they could do anything for me.

What's weird about this is that I've seen many, many Tibs with this same sunroof (glass goes back OVER the top of the roof, no in it). Is this the norm. How many of you have aftermarket sunroofs? Mine has a Webasto version, which luckily for me, has a dealer/servicer in my area. I'm hoping they can adjust it to pull down tight. Anyone else have a Webasto and had similar problems?

Another thing I learned at the dealer (the hard way) is that you could by a Tiburon, in 2004 non-the-less, WITHOUT a keyfob. I had just assumed the previous owner had lost the fob, so I picked one up off evilbay and took it in to the dealer for programming. $20 later, they tell me my car must not have been equiped with alarm/remote powerlocks because they couldn't get a fob to take programming. I seem to learn something new about this car everyday.

Sorry for the long post.
Im 99% my sunroof is stock, never really looked into it

But mine does go out and above, not into the roof

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Im 99% my sunroof is stock, never really looked into it

But mine does go out and above, not into the roof
the blinds go into the roof... but the glass part goes up and back over the roof.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
This is how the stock sunroof is:

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think it goes... "Factory installed is called moonroof, Aftermarket installed is called sunroof."

·
Registered
665 Posts
alot of people grief about aftermarket sunroofs but personally ive seen alot better aftermarket ones then the one that comes on the tibby.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, maybe I'm not as embarrased as I was. ;)
The service manager, without even looking inside the car, immediately told me I had an aftermarket because the glass went up over the top. Not sure what his que was, but I had to look for the small print on an inside panel to find the Webasto label. Anyway I hope they (aftermarket place) can adjust it, and the poster who mentioned the strut bar, I might have to look into that.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think it goes... "Factory installed is called moonroof, Aftermarket installed is called sunroof."
Yeah, Isnt it called a moonroof when the glass goes into the roof? or is a moonroof just a sunroof, but used a night? >:)
Moonroof was a term invented in the 1970's by Ford. Sunroofs used to be solid piece of metal that would slide to let in sunlight and air. When Ford put a piece of glass up instead of solid metal, they coined the term: "Moonroof".

Sunroofs, by historical definition are opaque and slide open to allow sunshine and fresh air into the passenger compartment. Today, most factory sliding sunroof options feature a glass panel and are sometimes marketed as moonroofs, a term introduced in 1973 by John Atkinson, a marketing manager at Ford for the Lincoln Continental Mark IV. For the first year, Ford sent out its Mark IVs to American Sunroof Company for offline installation.

Inbuilt sunroof systems have a panel which slides between the metal roof and interior headliner, requiring some loss of headroom and provide a full opening in the roof. All inbuilts slide inside the roof, while some also include a rear venting feature (see pop-up), and/or express open/close functions. Inbuilts don't fit every vehicle as the panel must slide and store completely within the vehicle roof. Historically, inbuilts were a metal sunroof panel painted to match the vehicle roof, but are now most are glass panel systems with sliding sunshades (typically referred to as moonroofs).

Panoramic roof systems are a new type of large or multi-panel moonroof which offer openings above both the front and rear seats and may be operable or fixed glass panels. Large operable openings are often accomplished with topslider (tracks in the top of the roof) or spoiler type mechanisms. Familiar examples include BMW Mini, Scion tC, Pontiac G6, Ford Flex, and Cadillac SRX.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's a humble opinion from an A.S.E. certified master mechanic:
Wether or not your sunroof is aftermarket or not, it's a sunroof. . .
And as great as it is to have sunroofs. . . they are great at causing all sorts of trouble.
When you get it fixed, make sure to keep the tracks clean of dirt and debris every once in a while, and use some lubricant on it after you wipe it clean. That might help stave off future trouble.
A lot of people just expect to do the typical routine maintenance with their cars, but what they don't think about is that when you have a moon roof or sunroof, that's just one more piece of stuff you should be doing maintenance to.

I'd love to say more, but I fear that I've already said enough to sound like I'm full of sh**. Hahaha.

·
Registered
780 Posts
and the poster who mentioned the strut bar, I might have to look into that.
Just so you know, a strut bar will do NOTHING for your sunroof. JD can be an *** sometimes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The button that works my sunroof sometimes cuts out when holding it down..uj gotta puishj really hard to close it or keep pushing and releasing until it closes

·
Registered
665 Posts
The button that works my sunroof sometimes cuts out when holding it down..uj gotta puishj really hard to close it or keep pushing and releasing until it closes
sounds like the contacts are dirty... pop it open (if you can) and clean them with a pencil eraser.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have a factory installed sunroof.

The tiburon brochure's call it a "Power Tilt and slide Sunroof with Sliding Sunshade
:) welp thats just what those well informed intelligent Hyundai techs told me when i asked... just passing the knowledge along.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
i have an aftermarket moonroof /sunroof on my 07 came that way when i bought it used, actually Tuchris had the same exact one on his 07 that he just sold
looks like this

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have an aftermarket moonroof /sunroof on my 07 came that way when i bought it used, actually Tuchris had the same exact one on his 07 that he just sold
looks like this

This unit looks to be just like mine. Same switch anyway.

Well, I just got the call from the sunroof installer, and they said that the cableing is stretched and the tracks pretty worn, so they are unable to do anything with it. I have to say, this unit can't be any older than 4 years old (in use), and I'm not very impressed with this product if it is worn out beyond functionality in this short time. Either it got used pretty heavily in it's short life span, or this is an inferior product. Anyone else have similar problems with the Webasto sunroofs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts