Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i want to get blown, but beyond that I'm not all that sure.

There's some cheap turbos/supers coming up in the forums, so I figure this is probably a good time to get started, especially since I've done most of the NA mods.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'll be able to do the install in a series of weekends, and be able to drive during the week, eg: wideband one week, clutch the next weekend, injectors and catchcan the third, and the supercharger itself the fourth? Or should I just accept I am going to end up bumming rides for a week or two?

I'm already I/H/E, and (roughy) tuned with an SMT-6.

As a second question, 300bhp = 270 whp? = ((300/200)*15)-1 if @ perfect efficiency, so probably 10psi?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
just buy my s/c and get it over with in 2hrs...then drive and get it tuned professionally...
though idk if my charger or any charger will get you to what you want...270whp...
you would need to upgrade the lower crank and better build your motor.

for some reason the tib can handle 20psi on stock block turbo, but
on supercharger i heard 13psi is max...?!? maybe a pro can chime in.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I know i want to get blown, but beyond that I'm not all that sure.

There's some cheap turbos/supers coming up in the forums, so I figure this is probably a good time to get started, especially since I've done most of the NA mods.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'll be able to do the install in a series of weekends, and be able to drive during the week, eg: wideband one week, clutch the next weekend, injectors and catchcan the third, and the supercharger itself the fourth? Or should I just accept I am going to end up bumming rides for a week or two?

I'm already I/H/E, and (roughy) tuned with an SMT-6.

As a second question, 300bhp = 270 whp? = ((300/200)*15)-1 if @ perfect efficiency, so probably 10psi?

Thanks all.
Don't we all...

Good luck with your project

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You can pretty much do everything you said but nothing will end up being so simple and im sure you will run into some problems with that much HP. My suggestion is if your going that far on the tib it doesnt need to be your daily driver.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
just buy my s/c and get it over with in 2hrs...then drive and get it tuned professionally...
though idk if my charger or any charger will get you to what you want...270whp...
you would need to upgrade the lower crank and better build your motor.

for some reason the tib can handle 20psi on stock block turbo, but
on supercharger i heard 13psi is max...?!? maybe a pro can chime in.
TBH, I was looking at yours. How long did it take to install w/ the necessary supporting mods (those needed to safely drive it)?

And I think one of the differences between turbos and supers on the max pressure front is temperature. Supers tend to be non-intercooled, where as turbos are almost always intercooled, and a roots-type will push up the pressure pretty quick. Then again, I've only been seriously looking into this for a week... so i could be all wrong.

Does anyone have any hp numbers for supercharged i4s, or is it mostly a v6 guys thing?

Edit: Re: Hooker -
I would, but you can't keep one of them locked in your garage. Except in Austria.

Bradly - Ok, so how about +/- 5psi for a DD... I really don't have the garage space for a second car right now, but I guess I can delay gratification somewhat.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
5 PSI makes a daily driver all day long. If your satisfied with that then buy marks, tune it, and call it a weekend.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
TBH, I was looking at yours. How long did it take to install w/ the necessary supporting mods (those needed to safely drive it)?

And I think one of the differences between turbos and supers on the max pressure front is temperature. Supers tend to be non-intercooled, where as turbos are almost always intercooled, and a roots-type will push up the pressure pretty quick. Then again, I've only been seriously looking into this for a week... so i could be all wrong.

Does anyone have any hp numbers for supercharged i4s, or is it mostly a v6 guys thing?
Now the whole thing can be installed in 1.5hrs...since you already have i/h/e...
the hardest part will be trying to install the aem fic ( took me almost 3 hrs) but i wanted to do it right and clean with no wires showing.
i have a base tune on it now which you can drive no problem. i have been driving with it at WOT for several months now no issues(knock on wood).
ngm enforcer kit yields in at (178whp stage ), (stage 2 @225) stage [email protected] 245Whp(built engine)
my kit is pretty much the same as NGM, but without cooling...which you can get a alky spray for cooling.

Edit: just noticed you have koyo radiator installed..awesome stuff!
your all set for a s/c! lol

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Kinda seems by the OP that he is working with a 2.7?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Kinda seems by the OP that he is working with a 2.7?
Nah, I just mentioned the lamda delta because I know superchargers are more popular with them, and turbo's on the beta. I'm an i4

Sounds like it's pretty easy to make it to 200whp, and then you have to start fighting. Anyone besides the guy trying to sell me his kit have anything to say about install times? (No offense man, just saying...)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
He is pretty damn close im sure on the install times, its a pretty straight forward process. 200 Whp is very doable but yes after that you fight your way for more.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Nah, I just mentioned the lamda because I know superchargers are more popular with them, and turbo's on the beta. I'm an i4

Sounds like it's pretty easy to make it to 200whp, and then you have to start fighting. Anyone besides the guy trying to sell me his kit have anything to say about install times? (No offense man, just saying...)
hahaha none taken...BTW do you have maf or map? because i have map based.
when i first bought the kit, i was told it was plug and play, NO:3_steam:...
well after many months of fabrication, etc...me and my buddy made it plug and play...
that is why i am including everything, from sensors, throttle body, etc..lol

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Nah, I just mentioned the lamda because I know superchargers are more popular with them, and turbo's on the beta. I'm an i4

FYI the lambda is the 3.8 motor. 2.7 is the delta.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hahaha none taken...BTW do you have maf or map? because i have map based.
when i first bought the kit, i was told it was plug and play, NO:3_steam:...
well after many months of fabrication, etc...me and my buddy made it plug and play...
that is why i am including everything, from sensors, throttle body, etc..lol
I'm an 03, so I'm map based. Sounds like a good kit really.

FYI the lambda is the 3.8 motor. 2.7 is the delta.
I just realized, went to edit my post, and saw yours. Yup, delta. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
i would go with a turbo. at 5-9 PSI the car is absolutely 100% DDable. and if you wana smoke a ricer in his prelude you can turn the boost up to 12 real quick(provided you have a controller of course) and then turn it back down.
but turbos come with some maintenance. with a s/c you bolt it up, tune it, and your done. thats not the case with a turbo. you will need to use full synth oil and change it often, run 93 octane gas, monitor your AFR constantly, etc. you need to figure out what you want, what your willing to do for it, and then go from there.
and you will see much more power out of a nice turbo set-up at 7psi than you would with a s/c.
i contemplated boost for 4-5 months. i weighed out my options, decided its something i really want to do, and now im doing it(btw tib is my DD also). my kit is on the way and now im working on getting all my supporting mods(clutch, motor mounts, new timing belt, wideband, etc). so i should be boosted in about 2 months. cant wait. hopefully i dont blow anything up though =P
i wouldn't recommend s/c on the i4. imo if your going to go f/i, do it right, and in our case that would mean a turbo. i would recommend either buying the jattus stage 1 kit to start out, see how satisfied you are, and then work from there, or buying a used kit from the F/S section for a great price.
but again, you need to sit and think if you want to take the step. any way you go it will take alot of time, money, and stress to have a nicely tuned, reliable, boosted DD.
goodluck with what ever route you choose!

edit: and if you decide to go with a turbo set-up, your damn well going to be bumming rides for a few days lol.

·
Nick-Yes, I have boost!
3,317 Posts
Doing a turbo install, unless you can work on your car everyday, all day long, i am guessing it will take 2-4 weeks, depending on how many people are helping you and how much experience you have.

However if you have a fulltime job and can only work on it on the weekends with the sporadic evening here and there, expect to be down for 3+ months.

I've begun my install and have about 8,000$ in parts (+2,000-3,000$ in other supporting mods i added earlier). I have absolutely no idea how long it'll take, but even with all the learning i've done and how ready i feel i am, i have serious doubts that i can get it done in 3 months only working on it on the weekends. We'll see. It's a very, very, very big job.

·
Registered
989 Posts
18psi max with a TD04H-15T... not sure about a bigger turbo. You can basically make 300whp-350whp (depending... and thats a big depending) on a stock block, turbo'd.

And 10psi will not net you 270whp! LOL! With the supporting mods you should have about 10-15hp leach from BHP to WHP. The stock leach is about 20hp.

whp usually goes like this:

5psi = 180whp
12psi= 240whp
18psi=300whp

And that all depends on what you mod but those are pretty close numbers.

What you need to do is get everything ready, laid out, have a plan, and take two weeks off work.

·
Nick-Yes, I have boost!
3,317 Posts
What you need to do is get everything ready, laid out, have a plan, and take two weeks off work.
I'm 5 weeks in my project now, of which one week was taken off of work. During the week i took off of work, i was only able to get as far as pulling the engine and transaxle out and wiring up the tf-10 to the ECU.

I think for a full install of all supporting mods, you're more likely to need at least 4 weeks off work, working every day. And this is if you have all the parts you will need on hand.

The worst thing is knowing what you need, not having it, and wasting 3hrs driving around town to a million different places looking for it. Or doing that and failing in finding it, then having to order it online and wait 2-3 days til it arrives.

I can't tell you how many times i've needed tools or parts and have blown half my day running around looking for things.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm 5 weeks in my project now, of which one week was taken off of work. During the week i took off of work, i was only able to get as far as pulling the engine and transaxle out and wiring up the tf-10 to the ECU.

I think for a full install of all supporting mods, you're more likely to need at least 4 weeks off work, working every day. And this is if you have all the parts you will need on hand.

The worst thing is knowing what you need, not having it, and wasting 3hrs driving around town to a million different places looking for it. Or doing that and failing in finding it, then having to order it online and wait 2-3 days til it arrives.

I can't tell you how many times i've needed tools or parts and have blown half my day running around looking for things.
True dat yo'z! +1

1 - 20 of 24 Posts